$2200 transmission service?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09SilverRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you literally have to drop the transmission to change the fluid, and you think ram zf is bad, lol? If you get the 5 liter that is the process, I believe the 3.5 liter you don't have to, but that isnt any easy change either. The only real issue with the ram 8 speed is the process to check the fluid, that is what blows, but it is an easier dyi process then the 10 speeds. Now if you go to the dealer, well whatever expect to be out $$, My local toyota dealer wanted over 2 grand for 4 shocks and only two of them were struts, the other two just regular shocks. Me and my brother in law did a 4 strut change in 7 hours, it was no joke removing seats, dropping the knuckle, removing calipers, etc, but the cost was under 400 for parts. The only way forward in America for normal folk is find a way to do this sh i t yourself no matter what you buy. But, if you want to do yourself a favor, buy stuff from the 60's, 70's or 80's as opposed to these ridiculously complicated machines. All of this garbage is by design, they don't want the public to dyi, to be able to do your own stuff, to be the capable people you were meant to be.

Dang Camry 4 corner strut package, what a waste and a nightmare. Why do manu's just not use shocks? sigh

You don’t have to drop the transmission on the 5.0. You have to remove the sway bar, cooler lines, and then jack the rear of the transmission up off the Cross member.

3.5 and 2.7 you don’t have to Jack up the rear of the transmission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t have to drop the transmission on the 5.0. You have to remove the sway bar, cooler lines, and then jack the rear of the transmission up off the Cross member.

3.5 and 2.7 you don’t have to Jack up the rear of the transmission.
Stills sounds like a PITA though. I guess I’ll find out in a few years because with these prices and interest rates I’m not going to be changing trucks again anytime soon.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
5:39 mark, when I meant drop I didnt mean take the tranny out, but you need to lift this one from the mounts... Drop or lift, same difference.

Of course the real discussion besides who has it worse, is why dont they put the filter inline and have a drain bolt on the pan, because then servicing a transmission would be as easy as picking buggars. The absolute truth is that doesnt suit their business model, to build trucks that last longer and are easier to service is to hurt your business.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Absolutely insane. $600 just for the fluid. See ya boys. I’m out of the Ram game. Trading in. Going back Chevy More than likely.
As I like to say to these "I am taking my ball and going elsewhere" posts, Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had a conversation with the service writer at my local RAM dealer the other day, about the recall on the HD trucks and the trans dipstick replacement. Anyway he said that theres no reason to ever check the fluid level in the automatic trans, cause if its bad, they replace the entire unit. They dont even try to take them apart to fix anything in them. According to him, they are a throw away, non serviceable unit.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Absolutely insane. $600 just for the fluid. See ya boys. I’m out of the Ram game. Trading in. Going back Chevy More than likely.

Good Bye

Um, since your Ram is such a horrible Truck
and you are switching Brands,
can I buy your Ram?
Have to be cheap, of course.
How much could a piece of metal Excrement that costs $2200 for a simple Tranny Service be worth, afterall?

PS

Saw this on the Meme thread

bitd-product-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a conversation with the service writer at my local RAM dealer the other day, about the recall on the HD trucks and the trans dipstick replacement. .......According to him, they are a throw away, non serviceable unit.

They wouldn't attempt to replace shift solenoids? By the looks of the illustrations ...they don't look to be that difficult to replace. Is this (below) their new training process :D :

0731e91ac9db855bdc5d53b123a4d686.jpg

You bring up a good point though. Maybe the OP's quote included a tranny update or two he wasn't aware of. Guess we'll never know.

Phillyrube

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The filter is built into the pan. Crazy
I had solenoid pack go out on my 08 1500. Tech told me there is another filter under the pack that never gets changed since most corner lube joints will pull the pan and change the one filter only.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's funny when people are saying servicing transmissions on new vehicles is a pain because you have to pull the pan and other parts like crossmembers. That isn't anything new and just started happening. It's actually fairly common onvehicles from all the way back to the 1960s-1970s to do stuff like that. I have an old Chevy "square body" K5 Blazer that I've owned for 30 years are you had to pull the entire pan off to change the fluid and filter (no drain plug). My previous truck was a Chevy 2500HD and remember thinking how nice it was that it actually had a drain plug, but you still had to pull the pan to change the filter, which also required pulling the crossmember.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Depends on the vehicle. Dodge transmission now do not have a fill tube or pan on the botttom. They are hard to service outside of the delaership and expensive to repair. The days of 6 qts of dextron 4 are over. They are extremely expensive to repair or replace too. Will not matter if it is Ram or the new GM 10 speed.

My brother owns a transmission shop. GM is 75 percent of his bussiness. The 6 speeds now are falling apart because of the torque converter. Ram about 20 percent. The rest are the rest, including Ford. He does not see many fords but when he does, they have their own problems. Berring races for example in Fords. They are machined into the alluminum housing to save money. So when a bearing needs replacing on a Ford, it means a new housing or a junk yard housing in good shape.

All of them are going modular. Unservicable units, including the rear ends, made in germany. No parts to stock, no transmission service personel to train for repairs, just parts swappers and a whole new unit. And the cost is over 5000 for any of them.

Pay the money. Trucks are over 70k now. If you want to play, you have to pay. Or buy a used vehicle 4 years older or more that has depreciated 50 percent or more, and consider the cost of replacing a transmission as a bargain. Or get onthe waiting list for a Ford lightening. You can actually pick one up for less than the cost of a moderately equippped F150. no transmissions. no emission parts to fail. No engine problems. no oil changes of any kind. No concern about gas prices in a 6000lb vehicle that gets less than 15mpg in the city.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
He is right, 2200.00 is slot of money for a trans service. Assuming the op isn’t a troll, then maybe he’ll visit some trans shops and get a more reasonable prince.

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you literally have to drop the transmission to change the fluid, and you think ram zf is bad, lol? If you get the 5 liter that is the process, I believe the 3.5 liter you don't have to, but that isnt any easy change either. The only real issue with the ram 8 speed is the process to check the fluid, that is what blows, but it is an easier dyi process then the 10 speeds. Now if you go to the dealer, well whatever expect to be out $$, My local toyota dealer wanted over 2 grand for 4 shocks and only two of them were struts, the other two just regular shocks. Me and my brother in law did a 4 strut change in 7 hours, it was no joke removing seats, dropping the knuckle, removing calipers, etc, but the cost was under 400 for parts. The only way forward in America for normal folk is find a way to do this sh i t yourself no matter what you buy. But, if you want to do yourself a favor, buy stuff from the 60's, 70's or 80's as opposed to these ridiculously complicated machines. All of this garbage is by design, they don't want the public to dyi, to be able to do your own stuff, to be the capable people you were meant to be.

Dang Camry 4 corner strut package, what a waste and a nightmare. Why do manu's just not use shocks? sigh

I watched my son's neighbor over the course of two days change his F-150 10-speed transmission filter and fluid. Had to disconnect a whole bunch of things to facilitate removing the pan, including dropping the sway bar. I'm pretty sure the ZF 8-speeds have a drain plug in the oil pan. The Ford's, apparently, do not. This makes for a very messy fluid dump of the pan even though he raised the back of the transmission. He also had to replace broken studs that held the heat shields on, and replacing the pan gasket was hindered by the lack of room over the top of the exhaust.

I also learned that it is not impossible to insert eight or nine F-words into one sentence.

He was quoted $2700 by the dealer for this job and I think he now believes it's worth it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 89230 miles.

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well look at it like this, if you were driving a FORD, you wouldn't have to worry about servicing the transmission, because you'd be BROKE DOWN ON THE ROAD ALL THE TIME!!!.......LOL!!!!!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
....He was quoted $2700 by the dealer for this job and I think he now believes it's worth it.

I've done a few of those "I can do it cheaper" jobs in my day (which sucked up a bunch of unanticipated time!).

I remember when I was planning to re-shingle my house's roof. I'm in HVAC, not a roofer. Ranch home roof ..How hard can it be? Fortunately I happened to run into my neighbor (roofer) before ordering the shingles. He shot me out a good price from the hip. Why Heck, he and his crew were in and out in one day (removed all the old shingles), and they did some extras to make it nice. Used a better product than the home center. In the end he said "give me a grand in cash and we'll call it good" which was 20% less than his initial estimate. Cheaper than the materials. I would have been up there by myself for 2 weeks! Saved me a ton of work!!! LOL

OTOH changing tranny fluid has ALWAYS been a messy job. But you anticipate it and just git er dun. The shop either goofed, included more than the OP knows, or they saw a whale and needed to make up for some shortfall in monthly revenue.