2500 6.7 cummins - Dealer Viscosity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Need some advice please.
Purchased new 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 in September last year. Took it to the dealership for oil change at 9k miles. The day after I got the oil change I noticed a tapping sound from the engine. Took it straight back to the dealer and was told if the noise didn't go away in a couple days to make a appointment. The tapping did not go away so I made a appointment and took it back to the dealer. dealer kept it for 10 days and said that the oil viscosity was too high. They changed the oil again with a lower viscosity and the tapping when away temporarily. Drove it about 300 miles and the tapping is back. I dropped it back off at the dealer today. Waiting for them to check it out.

What's my next step? I am not sure how to deal with this. if the engine is damaged what are my options?

thanks in advance for the comments.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well if the engine is damaged it's still under warranty. And what viscosity did the dealership use? Did they document that? I would hope they used what was called out in the manual.
Are you sure it's a engine noise and not he CP4 fuel pump?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I have serious doubts that the wrong viscosity oil would cause internal engine failure. It calls for 15w40 under normal conditions, and 5w40 for extreme cold conditions. 0w40 SRT wouldn't cause an issue. And thinner oils would still provide adequate protection, but it might burn some of it. Unless they filled your crank case with gear oil or something.

I'd say your next step is to tell them to un-fudge the engine situation.

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
How could the oil viscosity be wrong? Does the owners manual call out more than one oil viscosity? Did they put the wrong oil in it? What did they put in it?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Sorry to hear about this @Justin Williams! Feel free to private message our team for additional support while in service if desired. We would love to look into this for you.

Hannah
Ram Cares

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
How could the oil viscosity be wrong? Does the owners manual call out more than one oil viscosity? Did they put the wrong oil in it? What did they put in it?

It calls out 10W-30 for normal operation and for ambient temps below 0, 5W-40 synthetic.

Now prior to 2020 it was 15W-40 (and 5w-40 for below zero). If I had to guess, they probably put 15W-40 in it but I'm not buying that was the cause of the noise?

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I retired from 22 years with Cummins in 2015. I don't know why they changed oil viscosity recommendations after being adamant for decades all they wanted to see in their engines (all of them) was 15W-40.

Is US EPA after diesel engine fuel economy miniscule improvements also now?