2WD or 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I never had, just throw it into 4WD, never an issue even on my steep driveway as long as I had decent tires..

I agree I've never needed sandbags or any weight in the back with any truck I've had. Just buy tires they can handle the snow.

David776895

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 2WD because of how I use my truck. If I needed 4WD... then I'd buy it. You have to ask yourself the same question because nobody else knows how you are going to use the vehicle.
Cool, thanks
I never had, just throw it into 4WD, never an issue even on my steep driveway as long as I had decent tires..

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Cummins Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
To me 4WD is like a fire extinguisher or a gun or whatever tool you might not ever need. When you need it you really need it. Choose wisely.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I personally don't buy anything that isn't 4x4 mostly for the snow in the winter. That and I like to deer hunt and we get into some interesting spots retrieving deer. It's all about weighing pros and cons. Front wheel bearings are more expensive on a 4x4, there's another differential and a transfer case to change fluid and another driveshaft to grease. Definitely more maintenance with a 4x4. I've seen a few guys buy a 4x2 truck and throw a winch on it and just use that to get places instead of just getting really stuck with 4x4. Sometimes that's all 4x4 does is get you more stuck :roflsquared:

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Another factor to take into account is resale. If you end up living somewhere with inclement weather like the midwest you'll find that resale value on 4x4 vehicles is much much better than 2WD vehicles. 2WDs depreciate faster, and they're harder to sell should you need to sell it or trade it in for whatever reason.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I'm no expert but I've been told 2wd with limited slip and decent tires will probably get you out of 90% of situations 4wd without rear diff lock or limited slip can get you out of. For the average driver 2wd will probably be just fine. Even up north where it snows a lot there are many 2wd vehicles that do just fine. However, if you intend to go hunting off the road or offroading in general 4wd is probably best for you. Most who get 4wd probably never really need to use it but it's nice to have the added insurance in case you ever do need it.

^^This. I've had nothing but 4x4 vehicles since 2008 when I traded off my last car and I've only used 4x4 maybe 3x on a roadway. Every time I really shouldn't have been out in the first place but I did get where I intended to go. Both rams I've had were LSD rear ends and they get around pretty good in 2 wheel. They definitely don't like to turn in 4x4. Both suvs I've had were open rear diffs and they definitely do better maneuvering in 4x4 than my trucks, they don't push the front end nearly as bad.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I could've afforded the extra 4-5K I would've definitely got a 4wd. But like all the others say 9.9 times out of 10 you won't ever need it unless you intentionally got places where you need it. For work I do a lot of off roading and have never needed 4wd.