3.0L Hurricane Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Torque management plays a big role in how much power gets to the axles.

This. The computers are measuring load and allowing a certain percentage of torque and horsepower to provide a smooth experience. The days of the driver being in control are over. We don't get all the beans unless ECU says we can.

Hell, you don't even get full throttle when you put pedal to carpet. I've watched that in my Ram's. ETB might open 80-85% initially, then drop to 50-60% and gradually open up more as RPM's increase.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You guys are right but I think he's just saying "we should expect it to feel faster given the peak HP numbers".

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You guys are right but I think he's just saying "we should expect it to feel faster given the peak HP numbers".
It's strange how power/torque is controlled. It's all adaptive as well. For instance if I drive my truck like grandpa for a week the computer learns that and pulls power. It'll feel sluggish. But if I start hammering on it for a good while the computer suddenly says "ok, he wants the beans, lets give him some more beans" and it starts to wake up. Plus these vehicles are load sensitive. When I tow my RV for a good distance and unhook, man, my truck feels like a race truck. It just wants to go. But then I drive it for a bit and it calms down. It's all done in the name of fuel economy.

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Then they better get some better management. I left a Wagoneer with this POS engine sitting in my dust with my Hemi with only 395HP

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
All I know is that when I want to take off, whichever engine is in the vehicle better do it And while Ricochet might be TECHNICALLY correct, the bottom line is that I AM IN CONTROL. If I can't get what I want out of one engine, I'll find one that will give it to me.
If you're concerned about gas mileage, go buy a frigging Prius or a Ford (if you like walking).

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL :)

There are some people that would be happy driving a
1954 Chevy Bel Aire with the 115 horse power Blue Streak engine
By 2025, people would wish they had one, instead of the crap that they will be making

Jim S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
You act like there's something wrong with that old Chevy!

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Thanks for posting.

His commercial for CarLock doesn't seem all that great - the device shows you your car is being stolen, doesn't prevent it. The Forum solution that prevents hot wiring is better.

Back to the review - this machine has so much tech it is damn near unworkable. Can you imagine what the likelihood of failure and repair is for all this crap?

And how long will that overstressed engine last? Assuming it is actually used for towing and such. A drag engine makes 8,000 hp - over a 36 second lifespan, and multiple rebuilds.

What are your thoughts?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for posting.

His commercial for CarLock doesn't seem all that great - the device shows you your car is being stolen, doesn't prevent it. The Forum solution that prevents hot wiring is better.

Back to the review - this machine has so much tech it is damn near unworkable. Can you imagine what the likelihood of failure and repair is for all this crap?

And how long will that overstressed engine last? Assuming it is actually used for towing and such. A drag engine makes 8,000 hp - over a 36 second lifespan, and multiple rebuilds.

What are your thoughts?
I know i won't be buying one till they've been out for at least 2 years,is all i'll say :waytogo: :Big Laugh:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dad always said never to buy the first model years of anything. He was right.

That's generaly wise advise! I took a risk on my 5th gen 2019, it's the first model year of the 5th gens but the power train is ancient and (dare I say it?) ... "proven" ... at this point, so that just leaves electronics which are updated several times in a generation anyway and minor stuff like suspension etc.

I've been generally happy with my truck, I just got a pinging issue left that I'd really like to see solved soon. But's that on a 10 year old hemi (well, last updated in 2009 so you figure after 10 years in 2019 the hemi would be solid.)

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's generaly wise advise! I took a risk on my 5th gen 2019, it's the first model year of the 5th gens but the power train is ancient and (dare I say it?) ... "proven" ... at this point, so that just leaves electronics which are updated several times in a generation anyway and minor stuff like suspension etc.

I've been generally happy with my truck, I just got a pinging issue left that I'd really like to see solved soon. But's that on a 10 year old hemi (well, last updated in 2009 so you figure after 10 years in 2019 the hemi would be solid.)
mechanically there is nothing different between a 4th gen and your 2019 4.5 gen. Same frame, suspension, brakes, powertrain, cab and bed. They only updated the body and interior. It's why the current HD trucks are considered 4.5 gen. They haven't received a full 5th gen update.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for posting.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that the platform is not "overstressed", but rather it is over-built. From what we know about it, it has all forged internals and is capable of a lot more than the two versions being put in to production vehicles. Considering they have crate versions putting out 700 and 1000 horsepower.

That being said, I agree with other saying to never buy a first gen anything. And time will surely reveal the weaknesses of the platform. We just don't know what those are. Yet. If I had to guess I'd say the turbo's, and some electrical/tuning. But then again, maybe not, considering a lot of that R&D has already been done by Ford over the past 12 years. And Toyota is all-in on a V6.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mechanically there is nothing different between a 4th gen and your 2019 4.5 gen. Same frame, suspension, brakes, powertrain, cab and bed. They only updated the body and interior. It's why the current HD trucks are considered 4.5 gen. They haven't received a full 5th gen update.

The 1500's did receive signifcant updates. They're a true 5th gen though yes the powertrain has remained the same. Cab and bed is completely different on the 1500's, I don't remember off hand about frame/suspension.