3 and 12 yrs later and i just learned something new about my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daggertats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 ram reg cab 4x4
Engine
everytime i got gas i hated the way the gas cap hung against the side of the truck. while fueling up today i was lookin for a way to leave it so it wouldnt hang and there on the back of the door you open theres a hook to hang the plastic wire that holds the gas cap on so it doesnt rest on the truck. duh me . never knew this till today. that should say 3 and 1/2

Last edited:

jsteinm1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I never knew that either! I love finding little things that someone thought of during design. I'll do that next time, I hate having the thing smack against the paint.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weird, my Laramies have all had a little rack thing that you drop it into. So it's different on different models?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry....but....hahahahahahahahaaaaaa...

Quackwhackertim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Weird, my Laramies have all had a little rack thing that you drop it into. So it's different on different models?
What's the rack thing you talk about? I have the hook on my 2011 Laramie. Maybe I'm missing something.

"Things I never knew" sounds like a great topic. I wonder if there's some other little gadgets I'm missing.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What are gas doors and arrows pointing to the side it's one?

#oldtruckproblems

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
lol... I can top that. I was 43 before I realized that every gas gauge had a little arrow pointing to the side the gas cap was actually on... :D

I figured that out last year when I was driving in Italy. I felt so stupid for never knowing that.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the rack thing you talk about? I have the hook on my 2011 Laramie. Maybe I'm missing something.

"Things I never knew" sounds like a great topic. I wonder if there's some other little gadgets I'm missing.

OK, so this made me get up, go downstairs, turn on the lights, and look at my new 2015 that I havent filled up yet. And sure enough, the rack is gone and replaced by a lame hook. So, my '06 and '08's both had the rack, and now they are gone. The best way I can explain it is that you take the part that goes into the tube, and face it towards the back of the open door, and there is a "rack" that you can slide the cap down into and it holds it in the door.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, so this made me get up, go downstairs, turn on the lights, and look at my new 2015 that I havent filled up yet. And sure enough, the rack is gone and replaced by a lame hook. So, my '06 and '08's both had the rack, and now they are gone. The best way I can explain it is that you take the part that goes into the tube, and face it towards the back of the open door, and there is a "rack" that you can slide the cap down into and it holds it in the door.

yeah, I know what you mean. my tundra had one. it's the shape of a half pipe attached to the back side of the fuel door, that has a lip to hold the cap by the threads. I like it better than the hook. I changed to a locking gas cap so the hook is useless now.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I removed the plastic strap that holds the cap on my first fill-up. I lay the cap on top of the pump. I didn't know the hook was there but with my luck I would bump it and the cap would smack the side of my truck.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
lol... I can top that. I was 43 before I realized that every gas gauge had a little arrow pointing to the side the gas cap was actually on... :D

Not all cars have that. They just started doing that in the last 10 years or so.

I need to check that about the gad cap holder. Didn't know we have that.. AWESOME

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
That is a great feature! I use that every time. With the black truck, if you even look at it the wrong way, it gets a mark on it! :)

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
wait its for the wire? I always hooked the lip of the gas cap on it and i would constantly bump it when I pull the pump out and it would slam my fender.. hmm I didnt think the wire was long enough to hook it. I miss the gas cap basket on my Subaru, it was great..

blazenlo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is a great feature! I use that every time. With the black truck, if you even look at it the wrong way, it gets a mark on it! :)

Yup! I've used the hook since my first fill up. :buffer:

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
thanks guys , never saw the hook. i've had my 2014 express for months now.

stony

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I figured that out last year when I was driving in Italy. I felt so stupid for never knowing that.

How'd you like driving in Italy? I drove from Rome, up through Siena, Florence, over the mountains and up the East Coast to Venice. Traffic in Florence was a nightmare. Luckily I didn't have to drive in Rome, 'cause that was way worse. I got a ticket on the way to Venice, too. That wasn't fun. You have to pay the cops on the spot.

EDIT*** I had no idea it was there either. I'm going to have to use it on my next fill up. Going on 4 months with my truck.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont even have my stock gas cap & door cause the previous owner replaced the gas cap I'm assuming for looks with a black epoxy primed gas door... on a red truck. Looks so ridiculous. I think there may have been a repaint on the driver side of the truck and he opted to not paint that... why I will never know, it also doesn't come with the hook that I will be welding on prior to painting it

Last edited: