33 Gallons of Fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I have a 32 gallon tank — 3500, 8ft bed, crew cab diesel.

Is this gas station ripping people off?

I’ve run pretty low (15 miles past “Low Fuel”), much more sketchy than this fill up where the DTE gauge had just switched to “Low Fuel” and never put more than 31.6 gallons in this thing.
IMG_8171.jpeg

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Does your state have annual certified weigh and measures inspections of fuel dispensers? I don't see a state certification sticker in the photo.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Different state that mine, but what I've noticed in my area is the inspection stickers on the pump showing that they've been tested. I don't see any on this pic, though may be out of view?

You're braver than I with how low you go on tank. Hope you're adding something to help keep things clean in your tank - and have always been doing that. I had some diesel fuel issues in previous F250 that ended up replacing all the injectors and wow were they expensive! Good luck there!

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I don’t typically run that low — the 31.6 fillup was a rare instance and with the one from the photo above I missed the turn for the gas station I intended and a quick google check indicated I could make it.

I usually like to run no lower than a quarter tank. Definitely would prefer to not prematurely be replacing my fuel pump and other parts!

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I don’t typically run that low — the 31.6 fillup was a rare instance and with the one from the photo above I missed the turn for the gas station I intended and a quick google check indicated I could make it.

I usually like to run no lower than a quarter tank. Definitely would prefer to not prematurely be replacing my fuel pump and other parts!
Sounds like we're both of the same mindset then with a quarter of a tank. Been there before with missing an exit myself, or place I planned on not open/out of fuel I came for has happened before to me as well. Diesel is expensive enough as it is, we certainly don't need to be sneezed on amount. Hope they get that pump checked out!

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 26 gal tank. Can't ever get more than 23.xx in there.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mines supposed to be a 31 gallon tank (‘16 power wagon). Ive run it a fair bit past the low fuel light (after it quits giving an estimated amount of miles) many times, and have never put more than 27 gallons in it. I would guess you have a larger tank than you think.

OP
OP
jlb

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
AITA?

Checked the window sticker — 35 gallons. Now I’m not sure why I was so confident it was a 32 gallon tank.

Well ****, I just added 30 miles to my driving range

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Different state that mine, but what I've noticed in my area is the inspection stickers on the pump showing that they've been tested. I don't see any on this pic, though may be out of view?

You're braver than I with how low you go on tank. Hope you're adding something to help keep things clean in your tank - and have always been doing that. I had some diesel fuel issues in previous F250 that ended up replacing all the injectors and wow were they expensive! Good luck there!
It looks like it might be just visible on the right edge of frame, above the black nozzle "housing".

Reactions: jlb

StNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 12V
I would be very careful about letting the fuel get that low. 1. Sometimes there is moisture near the bottom of the tank and the water separator doesn't catch all of it. 2. If you ever run a diesel out of fuel you could be in a bit of trouble. You would need to bleed all the air out of the pressurized fuel system because air gets into the system and doesn't burn. I had a company truck run empty once on a hill in San Francisco (no one told me the fuel gauge was defective) and the mechanic had lots of problems restarting the truck.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My philosophy on fuel was influenced by a close friend many years ago.
He told me that it costs just as much to fill the top half of a tank as the lower half.
He was right.
Between that, occasional oil shortages and my sometimes overnight long trips, I have continued to keep the top half full. It's a good thing.

Tahoebronco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another reason not to let the fuel run that low is prematurely burning up the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs the fuel surrounding it to help keep it cooler and lubricated. That's what my mechanic recommended to me.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another reason not to let the fuel run that low is prematurely burning up the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs the fuel surrounding it to help keep it cooler and lubricated. That's what my mechanic recommended to me.

This is not as big of an issue as it once was. Old in-tank fuel pumps yes sat directly in the tank, surrounded by fuel, to keep cool. When the fuel got too low, it could heat up, shortening pump life.

Modern in-tank pumps are dual-stage. The first stage sucks fuel from the tank into a plastic reservoir that the pump is actually housed in, so it ALWAYS sits in fuel (until you're empty). The second stage sucks fuel from the reservoir and sends it to the engine. This dual-stage system ensures that cooler, fresh fuel is always sitting around the pump, keeping the pump cooler and extending bearing life.

Still, I hate letting any vehicle get much under half a tank, because occasionally I'll find myself needing to idle for quite a while or on a really long surprise trip, and being low on fuel means I might not make it to the next station. This is now compounded because not all small-town stations have diesel - the closest diesel station to where I work is 10 miles away, and I work in a decent sized town.

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Another reason to not let the tank get low is that diesels return a lot of fuel back to the tank which has been heated up. More fuel in the tank keeps the tank cooler.

Hot fuel is bad for stuff.

JoeRfromSC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7e
In our area we have a grocery/fuel program that gets up to 35 gallons at up to $1.00 off per gallon. So I’m known to fill up 33+ gallons regularly. If I’m going out of town my wife will meet me there and we will fill up mine and get the remainder of 35 gallons in hers.
I also have let my tank run out and put in 1 gallon then get fuel so I know my available gallons. (I’m odd)
With the new “plastic like” (XLHDPE) fuel tanks I worry less.

And sometimes I end up with 34+ gallons. I’ve wondered why, but have learned to just roll on.