33 Gallons of Fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
It was. Turns out I’m an a$$hole lol.
Bigger tank, farther to walk The wife gets antsy if it gets close to 1/4 tank.
My 1500 is 32gallon, it don't say if it is US or the real gallons, imperial, though all the pumps are in stupid liters now @ 1.59/ liter, convert that and weep.
D will be a bit higher which is a rip off. It should cost less.
When I was still farming bulk diesel was always way cheaper them gas, less taxes if not used in commercial trucks

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Another reason not to let the fuel run that low is prematurely burning up the fuel pump. The fuel pump needs the fuel surrounding it to help keep it cooler and lubricated. That's what my mechanic recommended to me.
This sounds like another old wives tales. Is it true? Have any of you ever personally seen this happen?
It's always "I've been told" or my uncles fathers sisters girlfriends cousin told him about it.
Somebody tell us when it actually happened to them.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
This sounds like another old wives tales. Is it true? Have any of you ever personally seen this happen?
It's always "I've been told" or my uncles fathers sisters girlfriends cousin told him about it.
Somebody tell us when it actually happened to them.

It USED to be true pre-mid 90's. At least on GM trucks, the pump was attached to the sending unit by the metal fuel lines that set it in the tank, and there was a square 'baffle' inside the tank in an effort to keep the fuel level around the pump somewhat steady. However, that 'baffle' couldn't be kept full and would only fill to about the same level as the rest of the tank. In those days, running your fuel level too low would allow the pump to heat up, over time that would kill the pump. This style was common for carburetors and Throttle Body Injection, which didn't need super-high pressures.

With the advent of port fuel injection and higher fuel pressures, the pumps would get hotter even faster and burn up, so the dual-stage pump was designed to keep fuel around the pump at all times. Since there was a steady supply of fresh, cooler fuel, it would keep the pump temps lower, prolonging pump life.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$4.29 is a lot better than what the Portland metro area jacked our price too, 90 days ago I could buy diesel for $3.99 gallon today its $4.89 that's bull :poop:

Just for $hits and giggles and to illustrate the contrast in what we pay up here, I just checked the local gas station price for diesel & regular (87) fuel.

The posted price for diesel is $1.839/litre
1.839*3.785=$6.96 CDN/US gallon
$6.96*.734847=$5.11 US/gallon

For regular gas, the posted rate is $1.626/litre
1.626*3.785=$6.15 CDN/US gallon
$6.15*.734847=$4.52 US/gallon

So the posted rate today converts to $5.11 US/gallon for diesel.
And the price for regular gas is $4.52 US/gallon. :rolleyes:

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It USED to be true pre-mid 90's. At least on GM trucks, the pump was attached to the sending unit by the metal fuel lines that set it in the tank, and there was a square 'baffle' inside the tank in an effort to keep the fuel level around the pump somewhat steady. However, that 'baffle' couldn't be kept full and would only fill to about the same level as the rest of the tank. In those days, running your fuel level too low would allow the pump to heat up, over time that would kill the pump. This style was common for carburetors and Throttle Body Injection, which didn't need super-high pressures.

With the advent of port fuel injection and higher fuel pressures, the pumps would get hotter even faster and burn up, so the dual-stage pump was designed to keep fuel around the pump at all times. Since there was a steady supply of fresh, cooler fuel, it would keep the pump temps lower, prolonging pump life.
That's fine and dandy but did you ever see it personally happen? Me thinks not.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 26 gal tank. Can't ever get more than 23.xx in there.
U can if U keep running it past the E *** amount of miles, as the gauges are set to read lower than actual fuel. RAM not the only one that does it. Me thinks a Nanny thing to help People not run so low and run out. I ran MY 19 down to 3 miles till "E" and got 24.5 put in once, while on a trip, but running the fuel that low not necessarily a good idea.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just for $hits and giggles and to illustrate the contrast in what we pay up here, I just checked the local gas station price for diesel & regular (87) fuel.

The posted price for diesel is $1.839/litre
1.839*3.785=$6.96 CDN/US gallon
$6.96*.734847=$5.11 US/gallon

For regular gas, the posted rate is $1.626/litre
1.626*3.785=$6.15 CDN/US gallon
$6.15*.734847=$4.52 US/gallon

So the posted rate today converts to $5.11 US/gallon for diesel.
And the price for regular gas is $4.52 US/gallon. :rolleyes:

Today they jacked up up diesel to $5.09, E10 to $4.79 :favorites68: its there way to try and get us all go to green electric car & truck :893Chainsaw-Smilie-

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But if everybody says it, it must be true!! ;)

My '89 Chevy 1/2 ton went through three fuel pumps in thirteen years. Even though just about every tech. told me it was because I drove it with less than a quarter tank, I was never fully convinced that was the cause because I didn't drive it often enough with "low" fuel.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97473 miles.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

...It's an electrical component with bearings in it, spinning at a pretty high speed. It's basic engineering that if you don't keep it either well lubed or cooled it's going to cook the bearings. I don't need to have seen it happen to know that it does/did.

But for the record, YES, I have seen it happen. My parents had a '90 suburban with the 40 gallon tank, dad NEVER filled it before 1/4 tank for a few years after they bought it (he'd only had mechanical fuel pumps before that, which didn't really care). One day as he's pulling into the gas station it died and wouldn't restart, wasn't getting fuel. I wanna say it had like 50-60k miles on it.

Had it towed home, me being the 11 year old kid with skinny arms I had to reach between the body and tank to release the lines/wiring. Once it was down we pulled the pump out, and it was partially melted around the bearings. Put the new pump in, put it all back together, and it ran like new again.

Never let it get much below half a tank after that, and never replaced another pump. He finally sold it in '08 or '09 with about 350k on it. Good old 350, never had to open that motor for repair other than replacing the water pump a few times.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357