37,000 and rear main is leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michaelwnagle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
37,000 miles and the rear main seal needs to be replaced. The dealership is telling me that it only takes 2 - 3 hrs to replace, now I am thinking they are just going to wipe it down and give the truck back to me. 2 - 3 hrs seems a bit fast to replace the rear main seal

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Make sure it is not your valve covers leaking , I would inspect it well before letting them touch it . Remember gravity will bring all leaks to the bottom and rear from wind. I do not trust dealers .

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
For most people, yes that's unrealistic. For a dealership with good techs and all the right equipment it's highly possible.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If they are doing on the warranty dime, just get an invoice and thank them for doing it. They have leak tolerances, and unless it is dripping, trust me you are lucky they are fixing it. I had a rear main and Ford wouldn't fix it because it was within leak tolerance. Once they fix it, they own the result, so now you have legal standing, they could have just denied it.

RR-OH

Reaction score
@Burla this is going off topic, but just wondering what your Ford model/engine was. I have a '11 F150 3.5T engine that has leaked within tolerance since new and sold the same line from the dealer. It has 134K miles on it with no issues thus far so I guess it is what it is... I was just caught off guard that it was a "let it ride" scenario.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
1993 351w, E4od

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If they are doing on the warranty dime, just get an invoice and thank them for doing it. They have leak tolerances, and unless it is dripping, trust me you are lucky they are fixing it. I had a rear main and Ford wouldn't fix it because it was within leak tolerance. Once they fix it, they own the result, so now you have legal standing, they could have just denied it.
Leak tolerances? That's one I haven't heard of. I've taken vehicles in for oil leaks when I find one drop on the garage floor. And they have always been fixed. I was never told anything about a leak tolerance on those vehicles.

2-3 hours seems pretty quick for that kind of repair, but I can't say it's not possible given the right tools and equipment. I'd go ahead and let them make the repair.

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
37,000 miles and the rear main seal needs to be replaced. The dealership is telling me that it only takes 2 - 3 hrs to replace, now I am thinking they are just going to wipe it down and give the truck back to me. 2 - 3 hrs seems a bit fast to replace the rear main seal
What is year of and engine in your truck? Curious as this happened to a friend with a 2019 classic, 5.6 Hemi.