392 Swap - High Oil Temps - What Would You Do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don’t use push lock. You either want the compression or crimp. What you may save up front may hurt you in the end. Also. I use 2 pair of pipe wrenches to turn mine. No bench vise. Cut and do all my own lines. Piece of cake

OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don’t use push lock. You either want the compression or crimp. What you may save up front may hurt you in the end. Also. I use 2 pair of pipe wrenches to turn mine. No bench vise. Cut and do all my own lines. Piece of cake

Yea, just read that a hose clamp is required for more than 10 PSI, which I am done with hose clamps.

Elaborate on your method of seating the bare hose in the sleeve with 2 pipe wrenches, I am intrigued. I have always had to used a bench wise. I am good with the rest of the process, I just don't know about fully seating the bare hose in the sleeve.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I run the -10AN and I think @crazykid1994 runs -10 also.

@Wild one runs -24AN or something crazy I'd bet.
Bazinga that was funny as hell Daniel and made my day,lol.Brings to mind the old story of Smokey Yunick with the huge fuel lines to get around Nascar's fuel tank limits back in the day, :cheers: . I run -10 (5/8") hoses to

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, just read that a hose clamp is required for more than 10 PSI, which I am done with hose clamps.

Elaborate on your method of seating the bare hose in the sleeve with 2 pipe wrenches, I am intrigued. I have always had to used a bench wise. I am good with the rest of the process, I just don't know about fully seating the bare hose in the sleeve.
Well the AN fittings outside piece actually threads down around the outside of the hose then with a little lubrication on the other half it’ll spin into the hose with little to no problem and thread into the outer half at the same time

OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Well the AN fittings outside piece actually threads down around the outside of the hose then with a little lubrication on the other half it’ll spin into the hose with little to no problem and thread into the outer half at the same time

Oh, I thought you had a method of getting the female socket over the bare hose with using 2 pipe wrenches. That is usually pretty tough for me in the past, maybe it depends on fitting manufacturer and new vs. re-used hose/fittings. I've always used a vice and shoving that hose into the female socket has been tough but never thought to attempt it without the bench. I have no doubt that it would do-able to thread the male fittings into female fitting without a vice, awkward but doable. I've never used RaceFlux fittings from Improved Racing before, but maybe I will give it a go. If I can't get it, I can take Daniel's suggestion and have a local shop put them together for me.

1679599142668.png
1679599155384.png

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh, I thought you had a method of getting the female socket over the bare hose with using 2 pipe wrenches. That is usually pretty tough for me in the past, maybe it depends on fitting manufacturer and new vs. re-used hose/fittings. I've always used a vice and shoving that hose into the female socket has been tough but never thought to attempt it without the bench. I have no doubt that it would do-able to thread the male fittings into female fitting without a vice, awkward but doable. I've never used RaceFlux fittings from Improved Racing before, but maybe I will give it a go. If I can't get it, I can take Daniel's suggestion and have a local shop put them together for me.

View attachment 517122
View attachment 517123
That’s what I’m saying. The female part threads over the hose. It’s threaded to pull itself over the hose

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm with you now, I am going to sleep on it and maybe pull the trigger tomorrow.
That's how the Vibrant ends I used worked also, pretty smooth assembly even for my first time ever making AN hoses. I did use a vise but I could see it working with 2 wrenches also. I used the tape trick I've seen around to mark the fitting position to make sure it wasn't getting pushed out when threading the fitting together.

OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So I ran an experiment this afternoon, I originally installed the cooler in the middle of the grill for ease of mounting but have been disappointed with the amount of heat dissipation, only a 15-20F temperature drop. So today I took the grill off and went for a drive. Getting to the freeway in the cool mornings, my oil would get up to about 205F. This afternoon, it only got up to 176F - this is about 15 mile trip at about 60-65 MPH. Then I got on the freeway and running at 90 MPH for 10+ miles, I peaked at 188F with 58 PSI of oil pressure. My ECT never rose above 185F and as soon as I slowed down, it dropped quickly to 180F. It would rise up to 190F when running out some WOT runs but quickly cool back to 185F or lower when cruising 60-65 MPH back the house.

I know even if I move it over, it won’t be near as efficient as wide open air but I’ve heard the sport grill is pretty restrictive. So any grill suggestions?

Pulling the trigger on the hoses and fittings, going to try assembly without a vise.

0C189048-09F6-43C3-AE78-2E2FEFF5446A.jpeg

B3EA7CAB-A749-455A-A934-654259EEAC87.jpeg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I ran an experiment this afternoon, I originally installed the cooler in the middle of the grill for ease of mounting but have been disappointed with the amount of heat dissipation, only a 15-20F temperature drop. So today I took the grill off and went for a drive. Getting to the freeway in the cool mornings, my oil would get up to about 205F. This afternoon, it only got up to 176F - this is about 15 mile trip at about 60-65 MPH. Then I got on the freeway and running at 90 MPH for 10+ miles, I peaked at 188F with 58 PSI of oil pressure. My ECT never rose above 185F and as soon as I slowed down, it dropped quickly to 180F. It would rise up to 190F when running out some WOT runs but quickly cool back to 185F or lower when cruising 60-65 MPH back the house.

I know even if I move it over, it won’t be near as efficient as wide open air but I’ve heard the sport grill is pretty restrictive. So any grill suggestions?

Pulling the trigger on the hoses and fittings, going to try assembly without a vise.

View attachment 517283

View attachment 517284
Look at swapping in the honeycomb inserts,they flow alot more air then the Sport grill does,and they're a direct swap into your existing grill.

Attachments

• Swift Current Drags 015.JPG
    Swift Current Drags 015.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2519 (2).JPG
    IMG_2519 (2).JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2520 (2).JPG
    IMG_2520 (2).JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had honeycombs and swapped to a steel mesh and noticed reduced airflow just going with a wide open steel mesh. The mesh is still more open than a sport grill so I’m fine with it. Mostly off-roading which is slow speed anyways so the fan dies most of the work in my case

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ever thought of relocating your overflow bottle,and moving your oil cooler over to where it sits. It'll get more airflow there then it does sitting in behind the crosshair of the grill

OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Look at swapping in the honeycomb inserts,they flow alot more air then the Sport grill does,and they're a direct swap into your existing grill.
Do you remove those deflectors on the side or does the honeycomb not have those? I will try looking for honeycomb.

I had honeycombs and swapped to a steel mesh and noticed reduced airflow just going with a wide open steel mesh. The mesh is still more open than a sport grill so I’m fine with it. Mostly off-roading which is slow speed anyways so the fan dies most of the work in my case

The steel mesh flowed worse than the honeycombs? Surprising result!

Ever thought of relocating your overflow bottle,and moving your oil cooler over to where it sits. It'll get more airflow there then it does sitting in behind the crosshair of the grill

Me or? I am going to move it over but I was going to go to the right, towards the washer fluid for the ease of house routing.

OP
OP
1SLwLS1

1SLwLS1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Is the honeycomb grille 68197703AB? I think that’s the whole thing unpainted but for $200 doesn’t seem bad.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do you remove those deflectors on the side or does the honeycomb not have those? I will try looking for honeycomb.

The steel mesh flowed worse than the honeycombs? Surprising result!

Me or? I am going to move it over but I was going to go to the right, towards the washer fluid for the ease of house routing.
I'd remove the deflector on the side you move your oil cooler to,the other side could stay in place to help funnel air to the rad. I'm not sure on the part number for the grill as i found used inserts on a local facebook page and traded my sport inserts for the honeycomb inserts.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I find that odd that the wire mesh flowed better than honeycomb as well. Was that with all the other crap behind the grill? I was going to say it sounds like a good excuse for a royalty core grill with the larger 10.0 power mesh. https://www.royaltycore.com/c-52-gr...-ram-grilles-1500-2013-2018-1500-grilles.html
The honeycomb flowed better than the wire mesh. May want to read it again. Both without the AGS. I installed the wire mesh to keep rocks and bugs out of the radiator.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The honeycomb flowed better than the wire mesh. May want to read it again. Both without the AGS. I installed the wire mesh to keep rocks and bugs out of the radiator.
I read it right, my brain just typed it wrong lol. I'm surprised the honeycomb flowed better than the wire mesh. What size mesh and spacing did you have?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I used to build bug screens that used factory holes to bolt to Khris,but i gave the patterns to a welder buddy who was going to build and sell them,and he lost the patterns. I built about a 1/2 dozen of them,but hardly broke even on them ,so that's why i gave the patterns to a welder to duplicate

Attachments

• IMG_4046 (2).JPG
    IMG_4046 (2).JPG
    153 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4047 (2).JPG
    IMG_4047 (2).JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 10