4.56’s or 4.88’s (about to pull trigger)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Best part is, 5.13's in 6th gear going 65 mph puts me right at 2078 RPMs. That sweet spot these 6.4s love. Right around 2 grand they are happy and quiet. Hell, if I didn't have the K&N CAI and MagnaFlow, I probably wouldn't even know it was running.

5.13's also puts my RPMs at 3325 in 1st gear at 5 mph. Just 675 RPMs below max torque. Who here besides me remembers having a Granny gear? Gotta pull a stump? :) Gotta walk your 8k lb TT out of some wet ground up hill? Call Granny. :)

I'm gettin' excited now. May not make it 2 yrs before doing this ha ha.

Wonder if the brakes will hold in 4-lo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wonder if the brakes will hold in 4-lo?

Low range is strictly for mountain and tree climbing. Did I mention I'm nuts?

I once had a Hodaka Ace 100 dirt bike that had a 74 tooth sprocket in back and 11 or 12 in front, can't remember. No clutch necessary, just step on the shifter and bang it down into 1st. It walked away. Miss those 2 stroke days. That thing never stalled.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Best part is, 5.13's in 6th gear going 65 mph puts me right at 2078 RPMs. That sweet spot these 6.4s love. Right around 2 grand they are happy and quiet. Hell, if I didn't have the K&N CAI and MagnaFlow, I probably wouldn't even know it was running.

5.13's also puts my RPMs at 3325 in 1st gear at 5 mph. Just 675 RPMs below max torque. Who here besides me remembers having a Granny gear? Gotta pull a stump? :) Gotta walk your 8k lb TT out of some wet ground up hill? Call Granny. :)

That was all based on 275/70R18 MTs
If I go to a 35" tire (true 35.7") in 6th at 65 mph I'm still at 1960 RPMs.

OP, you pull the trigger yet? I'm building the case for steeper gears.LOL

One thing I have learned with my past two trucks... don't fear the gear with bigger tires. My old tacoma had 4.88's and now my current truck has 4.56. Wish I coulda at least done 4.88 on this 1500.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Low range is strictly for mountain and tree climbing. Did I mention I'm nuts?

I once had a Hodaka Ace 100 dirt bike that had a 74 tooth sprocket in back and 11 or 12 in front, can't remember. No clutch necessary, just step on the shifter and bang it down into 1st. It walked away. Miss those 2 stroke days. That thing never stalled.

The climb up to the cabin requires 4-lo in the winter. It’s an unimproved road, and instead of plowing they groom it with a snow cat. Great for the snowmobiles and timber sleds, but tough on the vehicles.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
One thing I have learned with my past two trucks... don't fear the gear with bigger tires. My old tacoma had 4.88's and now my current truck has 4.56. Wish I coulda at least done 4.88 on this 1500.
Another reason I went 2500. I remember scrounging junk yards for a Dana 60 to put in my 72 Camaro. Got tired of blowing apart GM 10 & 12 bolts.
This ***** has the 11.5" AAM R and AAM 9.25 F. Heard that 11.5 called a Dana 80 more than once. :) ;)

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Short gears are the absolute biggest bang for the $$$ you could possibly do. I ran 4.88's in that Camaro with a Muncie M22 Rock Crusher close ratio 4 spd. 4th was 1:1. Ran 10" rear Cragar SS rims in back with N50/15 bias ply short sidewall. Speed shop guys said it was the equivalent to running 5.13's. And of course, skinny F70/14's up front on 6" Cragars. Old saying in NJ was, First one out of the toll booth, last one down the shore! It was a great 1/8th mile car. No big end at all. Guess I've come full circle. It don't ever go away! Was a quick 40 years man.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anybody familiar with the quality of Nitro products? They're South Korean. I would prefer to buy American. Gotta keep looking.

I like American products myself... but the South Koreans have made some big strides in quality over the past 20 years. This isn't your typical Chinese junk.

CLOUDL1GHT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins HO
Anybody familiar with the quality of Nitro products? They're South Korean. I would prefer to buy American. Gotta keep looking.

Nitro is real big in the Toyota scene. They seem to make a pretty good product and they beat their trucks to **** offroad lmao

My front diff currently has Nitro gear in it.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Nitro is real big in the Toyota scene. They seem to make a pretty good product and they beat their trucks to **** offroad lmao

My front diff currently has Nitro gear in it.
And Toyota's been building trucks (big trucks) for many decades. The quality must be there.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You can get AAM 5.13 front and rear gears. I'm sure Nitro is OK (I've never used them) but the OEM gears are simply the best.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
You can get AAM 5.13 front and rear gears. I'm sure Nitro is OK (I've never used them) but the OEM gears are simply the best.
Can't find 5.13 gears listed for the AAM 9.25" front rearend. I would also put AAM in if they offered it. Perhaps by the time I do it they will.

Adel Arslan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L petrol
Go for Nitro 4.88 it helps save fuel, get more power to the wheel and you can go bigger on tire size.

My set up on my RAM 2500 Laramie is 5" lift kit, with 37" tires and Nitro 4.88 diffs ratio.

Just one recommendation go for Limited Slip Diff carrier, I made a mistake and not order the LSD Carier when changing the ring and pinions.

OP
OP
U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

5.13's also puts my RPMs at 3325 in 1st gear at 5 mph. Just 675 RPMs below max torque. Who here besides me remembers having a Granny gear? Gotta pull a stump? [emoji4] Gotta walk your 8k lb TT out of some wet ground up hill? Call Granny. [emoji4]

That was all based on 275/70R18 MTs
If I go to a 35" tire (true 35.7") in 6th at 65 mph I'm still at 1960 RPMs.

OP, you pull the trigger yet? I'm building the case for steeper gears.LOL

Not yet waiting for my new PCM and programmer to get here on Wednesday and then I also need to go to the dealer for two recalls and a clunk sound in my front end (will be covered under warranty.)

After that I’m going to try out the new PCM and programmer with my current set up since I already have oversized tires.. once I’m comfortable with these changes (un-locked PCM & a programer)for a few weeks I will then set up the gear swap.

I keep hearing conflicting things about using a limited slip in the front differential. At the same time that’s an extra thousand dollars on top of what I’m doing. Just change in the carrier out in the front if needed should only be about two to $300 in extra parts. But change in the carrier out to a limited slip as easily over $1000 extra.

I’ve never had issues with my truck getting even close to stuck anywhere.... ditch hopping, wood gathering in my woods, and snow up to my front bumper.....so I’m not sure if it’s worth it for me.

It’s also something I can do in the future