48RE - Reverse won't engage when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimG96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I have a 2006 2500 CTD with a 48RE trans. New development, reverse will sporadically NOT engage when cold (relatively speaking - it's over 100F in Houston). Forward gears don't seem to have any issues, and once I've driven for a bit reverse works.

Would this be a reverse band issue or something more complicated? Any ideas appreciated.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you scan the truck for trans codes? Does the fluid look or smell burnt? Whens the last time oil/filter was changed and how many miles are on it?.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2006 2500 CTD with trans. New development, reverse will sporadically NOT engage when cold (relatively speaking - it's over 100F in Houston). Forward gears don't seem to have any issues, and once I've driven for a bit reverse works.

Would this be a reverse band issue or something more complicated? Any ideas appreciated.
When you say it doesn't work at all... espain mas please

ie: there is absolutely no difference between P - R - N - until D

or I feel a little something, but it doesn't seem to lock up

or If I were on a flat level surface, and put it into reverse, it may seem like it is trying to roll backwards, but if I give it gas, it just slips away...

How many miles in reverse on this 19 year old truck?
Trailer much?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2006 2500 CTD with a 48RE trans. New development, reverse will sporadically NOT engage when cold (relatively speaking - it's over 100F in Houston). Forward gears don't seem to have any issues, and once I've driven for a bit reverse works.

If you find out it needs a rebuild here is a great rebuild kit to use and also do update the valve body with a good rebuild kit... FYI Goerend is a great company who has some of the best part kits for the 48ref trans behind a Cummins: https://goerend.com/goerend-48re-gt2-master-overhaul-kit/

OP
OP
J

JimG96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
When you say it doesn't work at all... espain mas please. I put into R and nosin appen. Give it gas and the engine revs, but we don't go nos where. My driveway has a slight incline, so I comfortably coast to the street and get on my way. Also, doesn't always happen. Sometimes it works as you would want it to.

ie: there is absolutely no difference between P - R - N - until D. R and N the same, D works just fine.

or I feel a little something, but it doesn't seem to lock up. Nothing at first start. But after driving around for a while, R works like a champ.

or If I were on a flat level surface, and put it into reverse, it may seem like it is trying to roll backwards, but if I give it gas, it just slips away...

How many miles in reverse on this 19 year old truck? The truck has around 155K. I bought it at 135K. I'm guessin a small amount of those were in reverse :).

Trailer much - yep...I bought it for our travel trailer (about 9,000 lbs). But I do enjoy the occasional ride around town to keep it running while not working it.

OP
OP
J

JimG96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I took the truck out last night, and hopefully I have a simple problem. What I noticed is when it felt like I was in R, the dash indicator didn't show the ring around R. Put it back into Park, got the ring around P. Dropped it back into reverse and had engagement (and the indicator ring around the R on the dash). Could this be some type of linkage needing adjustment?

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hopefully
I took the truck out last night, and hopefully I have a simple problem. What I noticed is when it felt like I was in R, the dash indicator didn't show the ring around R. Put it back into Park, got the ring around P. Dropped it back into reverse and had engagement (and the indicator ring around the R on the dash). Could this be some type of linkage needing adjustment?
Hopefully ground fault (dirty corroded central ground point) or maybe a poor electrical connection.
That process is to simply unplug, inspect, and reinstall the electrical connectors.

Please return and let me (let us) know how you get your truck back to operational reliability.
It is your feedback that makes these 'threads' complete and will teach me (and everyone) how to keep these trucks running.
Even is you have it towed to a mechanic, let us know what they find and how much it cost in AUG 2023 dollars.
Cheers!