5.7L Filter Relocation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HongKi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey all, new Ram owner here. Been reading thru the forums on just about everything I can think of and then some.

After reading about the PITA changing the oil filter is, I was interested in the mopar relocation kit.
Only problem is, as i was putting on the filter mag yesterday, i got to looking at the filter connection and I dont see the 3 bolt holes that the relocation kit uses. Did this get changed for 2017 models?

Off-topic: after reading thru oil thread, going to go with PUP 4qts 5w20, 3qts 5w30, and RP filter. Seems that Amazon has the PUP available.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I will only make one comment.

PUP 5W-30 has shown to have the most robust additive package-->Less the TN Moly!
You would be better of using the SRT 0W-40 for the Magic Unicorn Juice-->240 ppm per each Qt of (TN) Moly! Very vital for the 5.7L!

4Qts PUP 5W-30 / 3Qts SRT 0W-40 has proven to be a very good combo!

This is only my opinion that I chose to share. Pair that combo up with a royal purple or Fram ultra oil filter you've got a winning combination.

Only thing is I personally---->Can't bring any actual/factual proof or data that shows lower Wear #s with this combo.

If you only have future plans on keeping your RAM for 2 to 4 years totally disregard my comment use whatever you want it won't matter.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Listen to Syn, if you are going to mix any PUP's, you will want some of it to be 0w40, at least 2 quarts. It is a special oil for hemi's, it has more moly then anything you will get OTC. There are other reasons as well, it is in a small class of "super oils", meaning it acts like a 30 weight as far as flow goes, but yet has more film strength then the average 30 weight. If you look at the group of super oils, they are only 0w40 for whatever reason, m1 is the same but I don't think it has the moly. If you are commited to mixing, I would opt for 3 quarts 0w40 PUP and 4 qrts 0w20 PUP and a synthetic filter, the two Syn mentioned are the most popular here. GL, Burla

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can attest to the previously mentioned PUP combo working fantastic in a Hemi. 750 miles on it and my Hemi is running smooth and quiet.

OP
OP
H

HongKi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ok, first 3 replies say to go 0w-40 mix, i'll take your advice.

Back to main topic, anyone know if the oil filter connection changed in the 2017's?

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pup....?

DAM AUTO CORRECT KEEPS CHANGING PUP. TO Pup

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Pup....?

DAM AUTO CORRECT KEEPS CHANGING PUP. TO Pup

PUP = Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (NOT) PP = Pennzoil Platinum

PUP is the only brand that holds the SRT 0W-40 which contains the largest amount of Magic Elvish Juice! = (Tri-Nuclear Moly)--->Some say it is produced by the Highest Mystical Elves!

The Ultra brand is very hard to acquire! You just can't drive to your local auto parts store or big box store and purchase it.
Most of the Elven elixir has to be purchased online.

Last edited: