5 to 10 second exhaust tick....ONLY SOMETIMES?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mgturbo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have any of you guys ever experienced what sounds like the exhaust manifold tick but it only lasts maybe 10 seconds at most and does not happen that often? Does piston slapping sound anything like the manifold tick and would make more sense that if it's only every once and awhile that it happens? It seems that possibly the times I like to go out of MDS mode for even a short trip, thats when I hear it too. I will try and get it recorded some time.

I'm running Redline 5w30 and XG2 Fram filter. it hasn't been under 40 degrees lately and 55 in my garage (which is where I heard it) all night.
stop using Fram filters! They are the worst filter on the market. Do some research on filters.

ABred

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Ram Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely manifold bolts. They snap off. When you first start the truck when you hear the noise and quickly goes away. Happened my my truck (2019 Ram) and my friends one (2014 - both of his manifolds needed work about a year apart).

Dbrewton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Definitely manifold bolts. They snap off. When you first start the truck when you hear the noise and quickly goes away. Happened my my truck (2019 Ram) and my friends one (2014 - both of his manifolds needed work about a year apart).
I had to replace 3 bolts on the passenger side of my '05 last year. So glad that was the source of my ticking.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
stop using Fram filters! They are the worst filter on the market. Do some research on filters.
There's been plenty of research to back the quality of the XG2 to include how well it filters contaminates. It's a synthetic filter similar to the RP ones too, if i'm not mistaken. I know @Burla seems to be the encyclopedia when it comes to Oil/filter solutions. There are so many folks on here that have been using the XG2 with what appears to be some good results.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you guys ever experienced what sounds like the exhaust manifold tick but it only lasts maybe 10 seconds at most and does not happen that often? Does piston slapping sound anything like the manifold tick and would make more sense that if it's only every once and awhile that it happens? It seems that possibly the times I like to go out of MDS mode for even a short trip, thats when I hear it too. I will try and get it recorded some time.

I'm running Redline 5w30 and XG2 Fram filter. it hasn't been under 40 degrees lately and 55 in my garage (which is where I heard it) all night.
Are you only experiencing this in coast-down and around 1100-1300 RPM?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84808 miles

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Are you only experiencing this in coast-down and around 1100-1300 RPM?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 84808 miles
I never get this sound at any other point, other than first start up of the day or when it's been sitting in the cold for hours after a short drive, it seems. It makes sense that it's possible the oil anti-drain back valve is not working as it should because it has happened moreso with my current filter. I'm switching to a 20-820 and then going to go with 0w-20 Redline oil. I've never had any lifter tick sounds when warm so figured I would go with that.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I never get this sound at any other point, other than first start up of the day or when it's been sitting in the cold for hours after a short drive, it seems. It makes sense that it's possible the oil anti-drain back valve is not working as it should because it has happened moreso with my current filter. I'm switching to a 20-820 and then going to go with 0w-20 Redline oil. I've never had any lifter tick sounds when warm so figured I would go with that.
om page 334 of my owners manual (2022 2500 6.4l). Just saying...

"NOTE: Hemi engines (6.4L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer.z"

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My guess is broken manifold bolts or warped manifold. Mine had this 2019 model

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For anyone attributing this start up clatter to the anti drain back valve in their filter, or that changing filter brands has helped. You're wrong. Sorry, but that's the truth.

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
For anyone attributing this start up clatter to the anti drain back valve in their filter, or that changing filter brands has helped. You're wrong. Sorry, but that's the truth.
Not asking to be like "well then smart guy, why is that true?" i'm genuinely curious why that opinion is stated and why it is wrong. I am a big fan of using sources to back claims. That's something that's lost these days.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry but your truck must be different than mine since my 16 definitely is filter picky.
When all you do is change the filter and the noise goes away, I guess it must be anything other than filter????

I mean why waste the money on an anti drain back valve? And have different materials for said valve between different filters on top of it. Seems like a waste of money and manufacturers sure love to waste money on unneeded parts.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the cold start lifter tick since about 3500 miles. I have found that it is a matter of oil temp at shut down. Oil temp under 115 and it will tend to tick. From research I have done the lifters are the last in line to get oil based on the oil flow so they will tend to be oil starved at start up. If they drain dry then they will tick on start. My only thought is that at cooler oil temp the "viscosity" is higher making it thicker and allowing for a siphoning effect at the lift "bucket" were warmer oil has less adhision and does not result in a siphoning effect..........But then I am not a mechanic just a guy that trys to read and understand the vehical he owns inside and out.
PS my oil changes are all done at the dealer using dealer parts......

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ADV is there to build pressure more quickly on startup and prevent loss of prime. It doesn't hold pressure in any part of the system, it can't. It's an important part of the filter. No filter spec'd for this application will be without one. Yes, quality varies.

Cold start up and short run time are bleeding down the lifters. It takes a surprising amount of time to get oil through all the small passages. I have used a couple different filters since I found out what makes MY TRUCK clatter and it hasn't done it once since I adopted the practice I mentioned earlier.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ADV is there to build pressure more quickly on startup and prevent loss of prime. It doesn't hold pressure in any part of the system, it can't. It's an important part of the filter. No filter spec'd for this application will be without one. Yes, quality varies.

Cold start up and short run time are bleeding down the lifters. It takes a surprising amount of time to get oil through all the small passages. I have used a couple different filters since I found out what makes MY TRUCK clatter and it hasn't done it once since I adopted the practice I mentioned earlier.
This I agree with.

Cold start and short run time (for my truck it only takes going around the block, if that to not have any tick) is an almost guaranteed way to get the startup tick. Esp. just starting and moving in the driveway for my truck.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya putting way to much thought in it. Put the recommend oil and filter on it and drive it. It will be ok.

If not it really doesn’t matter, it’s going to happen either way.

What out for the ufo’s…

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500