$550, how would you spend it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
No way in hell would I spend money on performance parts for a V6 truck!

What do you want it do... Go 'almost' as fast as a stock Hemi?

The last truck I had was the 4.7l V8 and I absolutely refused to buy performance upgrades.

If you are dead set on performance, I would make those the LAST things you buy.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
3. Buy either a tuner or the Pedal Commander for my truck. This one is the most difficult to decide on. Not having any experience with either, I'm not sure what I'm missing by not having it and I'm not sure which would be the better upgrade for my situation. My truck is a pavement princess and all we do with it is go to the drive-in and pull the pontoon boat to the lake. I drive it when I'm off work but that usually consists of short trips one or two days a week.

just my .02 cents....

i would do a pedal commander and save the rest. the most ideal option is to run pedal commander AND tuner, but that is advice best served for the 5.7/6.4 guys.

being that you have a 3.6 truck, i don't know that the canned tunes in a diablo (or any tuner choice, for that matter) will be enough to really make a difference. and a canned tune is really just one and done. you can swap between fuel efficiency (why would you with a 3.6 though?) tow, and performance. but it's arduous and probably won't net outstanding gains.

the pedal commander, even though it's a very simple trick, is an awesome one-trick pony. adjusting throttle sensitivty makes a huge difference. you'll also be able to get really granular and specific with dialing in the throttle response, and it will make your truck feel 5x as snappy off the line and while passing because it removes from 25%-90% of the lag. the smile factor will be much higher, and you will appreciate the versatility more than i assume you would with a tuner and canned tunes.

if you could run the pulsar on your truck, i'd say go that route. the pulsar is a little bit of column a and column b. canned tunes and throttle sensitivity, plus tire and gear changes.

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
The better response is all I really want anyhow. I have no desire to go fast in a truck, I have a motorcycle for going fast. I don't have money to burn so that's why I asked you guys. I have never had any dealings with tuners or the like so color me ignorant on that subject. I came up in a time of carburetors, dwell and setting point gaps. I don't need a huge power plant just to have it set in my driveway 6 days a week so I bought a truck that was what I needed and nothing more.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
The better response is all I really want anyhow. I have no desire to go fast in a truck, I have a motorcycle for going fast. I don't have money to burn so that's why I asked you guys. I have never had any dealings with tuners or the like so color me ignorant on that subject. I came up in a time of carburetors, dwell and setting point gaps. I don't need a huge power plant just to have it set in my driveway 6 days a week so I bought a truck that was what I needed and nothing more.

Perfect comment on the reasons to not buy performance parts for a V6 motor. ;)

If the responsiveness is all you're after, the Pedal Commander has your name written all over it.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
hooooookers and blow

jk, have you done speaker/subwoofer upgrades?

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Perfect comment on the reasons to not buy performance parts for a V6 motor. ;)

If the responsiveness is all you're after, the Pedal Commander has your name written all over it.
Thank you. Not having a throttle cable to play with is new to me.

hooooookers and blow

jk, have you done speaker/subwoofer upgrades?
No audio upgrades for me. At least not anytime soon. Unless the guy that put the exhaust on did something to it, the factory speakers are better than anything I ever had as a teenager. When they're shot I may go to something better.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Line X!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scoobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Kernal Clink I’ve got about the same amount of money to spend on my truck for early Christmas gift. I got my driver and passenger windows tinted with some nice ceramic tint, and am spending the rest on a pedal commander...spending what’s left over on a claybar kit.

GhostCost

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
NA
I like the way you think sir. Sadly, the 45-70 is more than I can afford.

Amen Clink! It'll put a whallop on your shoulder too. I picked up a 357/38spcl model for me, and some .22 LRs for the kids though. With Christmas coming you could get the 22s and pass them down to kids for about $450 with their names as the serial number!
That's what I did. Soooo purdy! And it'll drive a tack!

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Spend the $$$ on stuff that’s going to be useful & helpful on the truck first, then get the toys.

Bedliner, then lights.

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Well I decided to get the remote start for the wife. Ended up getting the factory Mopar kit new from eBay for 120 shipped!! Comes with 2 new fobs as well so win/win there. Then I spent 400 on a set of 20" chrome clads I found on CL. What can I say, I like the factory chrome clads. Not the plastic so much as just the shape of the wheels themselves. I plan on pulling the clads and having a buddy of mine either powder coat them or maybe hydrodip them, probably go with the powder though. The other 30 bucks went in the gas tank. She won't run on air ya' know!

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So I had planned to buy a 4" lift and I still may, but what would be your first purchase to a stock truck? I want the pedal commander, the lift, wheels and tires, Line-X the bed, and aftermarket lights. So many desicions, so little funding.

My first choice would be to buy the truck with all the options I want, in the first place, and NOT spend $$$ modifying it afterward.

Then, buy a jeep. Wrangler. JK, not JKU (or "JL" or "KL" or whatever the heck it is nowadays)

Then, go broke modifying the jeep.
Period.

hammy56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id make a payment, fill the tank, and buy lunch...nice trucks are expensive these days!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw this post and laugh like i do all the time when they pop up. First i thought another "kid" spending money then i saw it wasnt a kid.. Sorry OP but one would think at 44 if you are asking what to spend something as little as 500 on, on your truck is something a 19year old would ask..

the logical answer is pay off blls, car payment, savings acct. save it for a rainy day.

OP
OP
Kernal Clink

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I saw this post and laugh like i do all the time when they pop up. First i thought another "kid" spending money then i saw it wasnt a kid.. Sorry OP but one would think at 44 if you are asking what to spend something as little as 500 on, on your truck is something a 19year old would ask..

the logical answer is pay off blls, car payment, savings acct. save it for a rainy day.
Wow.

So as it turns out, this money is not part of my normal income. It's money I get to play with. The sole reason I have it is to spend it on my truck. That's why I worked the OT to earn it. While you may not be able to wrap your head around it, asking opinions is what people do when they are not sure what they want to do. If I wanted to spend it on logical **** Dr. Spock, I'd have went to the stock broker forum and asked them.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

boy this post is just dripping with ‘holier than thou’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Udaloy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd buy the bed liner first. It'll help keep that dreaded rust at bay.