6.4 Hemi - 8 Year Report

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So, I just passed 8 years of owning my 2014 6.4 Hemi Outdoorsman 4X4. Last week I took a little road trip from Portland down to Reno/Tahoe, back up to central Oregon and back to Portland It was about 1300 miles in 4 days and got me thinking of some highs/lows of this truck.

Overall, it's been pretty good and I'd recommend the truck. My biggest problem (as many of you who are familiar with me here) has been the tranny - two failures (38K miles and 90K miles). I'm now at 118K and things are okay I guess. The tranny still shifts in an annoying manner and is by far my least favorite part of the truck.

The 6.4 Hemi is a total beast. This is really the first time I got out on some open roads in Nevada with high speed limits and this baby really flies when you hammer it. I passed a lot of slower trucks on two lane roads and this truck goes from 60 to 90 in the blink of an eye. I think I even saw 97 on the speedo once (I keep meaning to check the speed rating on my tires....LOL).

8 years and nearly 120K in, I'm impressed with the overall build quality. Everything works, the tires wear evenly and the truck drives straight as an arrow down the highway (and I've whacked a few curbs here and there). In contrast, my last truck was a 2006 Chevy Silverado Duramax and by this age I was constantly going through hubs and various front end parts and there were a lot more rattles and little things like interior lights that didn't work.

Other than the tranny I've had a few things come up but they've been pretty minimal - exhaust manifold bolts were the biggest but I'd never have done that if not for my lifetime warranty. I didn't even hear the noise but my dealer told me they needed to be done so for $100 deductible I played along. I'm now living between Oregon and Maui so the truck sits for weeks at a time but always fires right up and runs great. Some of the interior parts are wearing but really not too bad after 8 years.

I've done every oil change and other service/repair at the dealer if for no other reason to keep my warranty intact and avoid hassle if (when) the tranny blows again. If not for my warranty I'd undoubtedly have unloaded the truck since I don't have a spare 5K lying around but maybe the tranny will hang on for a while. I've more or less kept the truck bone stock just due to being busy and cheap... and the warranty thing again I suppose.

Lastly, I've been impressed at the value retention (of course, that's any truck these days). I paid 39K in the spring of 2014 and I'm pretty sure I could still get 25K+ if I wanted to sell. Maybe even more with all the shortages, etc. these days.

Edit: Just checked NADA and "average trade-in" is $26,350. I have to think I could grab a few more bucks private party. Even better than I thought.

Attachments

• 20220408_121031.jpg
    20220408_121031.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

MADDOG

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Jeep JL Willys Edition
Engine
2.0L 4CYL Turbo
Nice write up. I miss my 2014 Big Horn with the 6.4L HEMI.

Too bad some dipstick tore the front end off it with his Phord Ph-150.

You ever get yours sideways on a wet road and drift it a bit? It does well. Ask me, and some other motorists in Hillsboro, how I know. :D

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, the guys saying how wonderful the 8 sp ZF trans is were getting to me, I'd love to get a 5th gen but except for the 66RFE I really love my 4th gen. And it's paid for.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Pretty much the same boat here - there have been a few annoyances but nothing serious enough for me to dislike the truck. I'm at almost 84k on a 2017 and really the only issues I've had have either been recalls or those stupid park assist sensors...Salt and electronics don't get along, and letting them sit in salt for 3-4 months due to winter takes its toll on them.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Yeah, the guys saying how wonderful the 8 sp ZF trans is were getting to me, I'd love to get a 5th gen but except for the 66RFE I really love my 4th gen. And it's paid for.
Mine will go past 63K with Thursday's 1000 mile round trip. The 8 speed would be nice but not worth a new truck. Might have to do the tranny valve bypass but not totally convinced of the need. Everything on mine works as it should including the rear air suspension. Just had a 3rd party check everything over including suspension and brakes all still good OE.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Mine will go past 63K with Thursday's 1000 mile round trip. The 8 speed would be nice but not worth a new truck. Might have to do the tranny valve bypass but not totally convinced of the need. Everything on mine works as it should including the rear air suspension. Just had a 3rd party check everything over including suspension and brakes all still good OE.

Yes - the issue is the flimsy valve body and solenoid, not the torque converter and drivetrain (unless you're doing a power uprate). But to put an upgraded valve body and solenoid in, you have to be able to re-learn the PCM, and I already custom tuned mine, so not doing the whole thing over again. I'll just live with it and upgrade trans ATF oil from MOPAR ATF+4 (Group III quasi-synthetic) to Red Line ATF+C (Group IV/V) next oil change.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just rolled over 129,000 miles on my 2015 3500 6.4L. I just had the valve body replaced, but I’m pretty sure that was due to the dealership only filling my transmission up half way when they did the tranny service. (I drove 1200 miles like that before a problem presented itself and I had to check the fluid.) The warranty covered the fix and I got it back last week. Other than that, 1 set of front ball joints, and one set of axle seals. I did have a sticking lifter at 40,000 miles. Also under warranty.

I have to say, I’m pretty happy with the truck overall as well.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Yes - the issue is the flimsy valve body and solenoid, not the torque converter and drivetrain (unless you're doing a power uprate). But to put an upgraded valve body and solenoid in, you have to be able to re-learn the PCM, and I already custom tuned mine, so not doing the whole thing over again. I'll just live with it and upgrade trans ATF oil from MOPAR ATF+4 (Group III quasi-synthetic) to Red Line ATF+C (Group IV/V) next oil change.
What is the Amsoil ATF-4 please? I did not know the Redline "upgrade". Thx

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Last edited: