6.4 intake manifold swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mvg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
6.4 truck intake manifold and 6.4 stock air box is installed. Currently running 5.7 injectors with spacers. Now need to get a tune so I can swap in the 6.4 injectors and delete mds. May just have to buy a pcm from diablo... wanted to just unlock mine but may have to go the easy route. Can’t let my truck be down anytime soon. For anyone interested the 5.7 fuel rail does fit but needs a new hose for the crossover. Was a 5/16 high pressure fuel and transmission line. Also, drilled and tapped the 6.4 manifold to run my catch can. There is no way stock on the 6.4 manifold to run a catch can. If you look in the pictures you can see I drilled the egr blockoff plate and install a 1/2” barbed 90° fitting with a 1/4npt thread into the blockoff plate. The pvc side I drilled into the stock pcv housing and tapped it for another 1/2” barbed straight fitting with a 1/4” npt thread and just plug the stock vacuum port into the manifold so it only sucks through the catch can. Either jb weld or another form of putty should be good as long as it’ll harden and adhere to plastic. Posted in my build thread as well. This is with plans to install a aev snorkel in the future.

View attachment 213655

View attachment 213656

View attachment 213657

6.4 truck intake manifold and 6.4 stock air box is installed. Currently running 5.7 injectors with spacers. Now need to get a tune so I can swap in the 6.4 injectors and delete mds. May just have to buy a pcm from diablo... wanted to just unlock mine but may have to go the easy route. Can’t let my truck be down anytime soon. For anyone interested the 5.7 fuel rail does fit but needs a new hose for the crossover. Was a 5/16 high pressure fuel and transmission line. Also, drilled and tapped the 6.4 manifold to run my catch can. There is no way stock on the 6.4 manifold to run a catch can. If you look in the pictures you can see I drilled the egr blockoff plate and install a 1/2” barbed 90° fitting with a 1/4npt thread into the blockoff plate. The pvc side I drilled into the stock pcv housing and tapped it for another 1/2” barbed straight fitting with a 1/4” npt thread and just plug the stock vacuum port into the manifold so it only sucks through the catch can. Either jb weld or another form of putty should be good as long as it’ll harden and adhere to plastic. Posted in my build thread as well. This is with plans to install a aev snorkel in the future.

View attachment 213655

View attachment 213656

View attachment 213657

View attachment 213658

View attachment 213659

Your manifold looks great!

I have a 2012 1500 4x4 and I am planning on swapping my intake manifold with one from 2014 2500 6.4L. I have looked in quite a few places now and have not been able to find out if I will need to tune my truck after the swap? I am NOT going to use 6.4L injectors, I am just going to use the spacers from MMX with my stock 5.7 injectors. I have everything else I need for the swap, I am just hesitant a bit because of the tune. The truck already has hemifever tuning because I already deleted MDS system out of it and that 65RFE really needed the tune anyways. I just dont want to spend $ on another tune if I really don't have to.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your manifold looks great!

I have a 2012 1500 4x4 and I am planning on swapping my intake manifold with one from 2014 2500 6.4L. I have looked in quite a few places now and have not been able to find out if I will need to tune my truck after the swap? I am NOT going to use 6.4L injectors, I am just going to use the spacers from MMX with my stock 5.7 injectors. I have everything else I need for the swap, I am just hesitant a bit because of the tune. The truck already has hemifever tuning because I already deleted MDS system out of it and that 65RFE really needed the tune anyways. I just dont want to spend $ on another tune if I really don't have to.
You can have Hemifever update your tune for the manifold for free generally. He gives you so many updates. However, It’ll run without tuning but it’s better to have it adjusted to make sure. I ran the truck without tuning for a few months after installing the 6.4 manifold and had no issues. I’ve got my long tubes and 6.4 manifold with a tune. Had the tune before the long tubes and had him update the tune for the long tubes and he did it for no charge.

mvg87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You can have Hemifever update your tune for the manifold for free generally. He gives you so many updates. However, It’ll run without tuning but it’s better to have it adjusted to make sure. I ran the truck without tuning for a few months after installing the 6.4 manifold and had no issues. I’ve got my long tubes and 6.4 manifold with a tune. Had the tune before the long tubes and had him update the tune for the long tubes and he did it for no charge.
That's awesome! I'll try to reach out to him and see what he says. Thank you for your input

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I reached out to hemifever for my ported manifold swap and he told me a tune adjustment wasn't necessary unless I used the 6.4 injectors. I'm currently running a custom 93 octane tune from him. Enjoy your new hp and tq

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hey @crazykid1994 -

I realize this is a 5.7 Hemi upgrade thread, but since the upgrade is to a 6.4 Hemi induction, what do you think of mod'ing a stock 6.4 Hemi to add a catch can?

I don't know how or where Chrysler routed the "internal" PCV from under the intake. Most V8's I worked on were sticking out the valve covers or someplace else accessible.

Thanks.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey @crazykid1994 -

I realize this is a 5.7 Hemi upgrade thread, but since the upgrade is to a 6.4 Hemi induction, what do you think of mod'ing a stock 6.4 Hemi to add a catch can?

I don't know how or where Chrysler routed the "internal" PCV from under the intake. Most V8's I worked on were sticking out the valve covers or someplace else accessible.

Thanks.
The actual pcv valve comes routes through the intake manifold as seen in my pictures. At the passenger front side the pcv valve is accessible but instead of routing out the port goes directly in the intake manifold. The port is seen from the outside as well. On a stock 6.4 truck engine the only way to do it my way would require deleting the egr system or having a custom fitting designed to replace the pcv valve with two 1/2” barbed fittings to connect the catch can or finding another place on the manifold to tap for a 1/2” barbed fitting to connect the catch can vacuum side. If someone designed one out aluminum would be the best bet but pricey and would negate any modifying of the intake manifold.
You have to block it yourself otherwise it’ll still vent. Next time I can I’ll try to take a picture of the port. I forgot to do that. I still have to pick up jb weld to plug the port anyways. Though I had some at home but turns out I do not. When I do that I’ll post more pictures of the port before I plug it and after. The red circle in the picture is actually the stock Pcv vacuum port just from outside the manifold.

View attachment 213840

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The actual pcv valve comes routes through the intake manifold as seen in my pictures. At the passenger front side the pcv valve is accessible but instead of routing out the port goes directly in the intake manifold. The port is seen from the outside as well. On a stock 6.4 truck engine the only way to do it my way would require deleting the egr system or having a custom fitting designed to replace the pcv valve with two 1/2” barbed fittings to connect the catch can or finding another place on the manifold to tap for a 1/2” barbed fitting to connect the catch can vacuum side. If someone designed one out aluminum would be the best bet but pricey and would negate any modifying of the intake manifold.

Thank you. Not too crazy about drilling and tapping intake manifold in-situ. Back in the day I might have taken this on and sent out a retrofit to members. Thanks anyway!

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. Not too crazy about drilling and tapping intake manifold in-situ. Back in the day I might have taken this on and sent out a retrofit to members. Thanks anyway!
If it were me, I'd do an egr delete like I did on my 2006 300c 5.7. 2011 didn't have the egr for some reason.

For the right price, I may be persuaded to part with my 6.4 ported manifold. Only put a few thousand miles on it, and modified it for a catch can. I really should put my 5.7 manifold back on since I'm having engine issues and pretty much going to run it till it dies, then replace with a 6.4 SRT engine. No sense trashing a new 6.4 manifold if I end up with a gnarly catastrophic failure throwing bits into the manifold. Just a hint, the right price will be more than it costs new lol.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just looked on MMX and MOES and cant find an EGR block off plate. I guess Ill just have to fab one up.

Unless anyone know were else I could find one.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I just looked on MMX and MOES and cant find an EGR block off plate. I guess Ill just have to fab one up.

Steven did have a block off plate on that manifold,if you bought the one off his truck Ian.MMX is selling Takyami Sams plug-n-play wire harness extension for the SRV,if you wanted to do it the easy way.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I'd be willing to bet you can call up mmx and order one. They went through the trouble of branding the damn thing with an etching of their logo lol.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
They can’t sell them anymore. Since it deletes the egr port

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They can’t sell them anymore. Since it deletes the egr port
Well that sucks. Is there some new regulation around thay or something? Can't claim it as offroad use only?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
huh i just added it to cart and can buy it

Thats the entire 6.4 Intake .

They dont have just the plate on the website anymore.

I already grabbed a piece of Aluminum out of the scrap bin at work to make my own for free. :p

After seeing the price for the extension harness, Ill be extending my wires as well instead...

Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
huh i just added it to cart and can buy it
View attachment 486946
FYI, if you're interested in buying one, you may want to call Matt from Moe's. He may have them in stock. When I ordered mine through him, ported, it shipped right away, so now waiting 3 to 5 weeks for the port job.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Moes gets intakes from MMX and doesn’t usually have them on hand they ship from MMX usually . They have been on national back order. Hopefully they are in stock now

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
That doesn’t make sense because the 5.7 doesn’t have egr and they sell it as a swap for the 5.7.
It makes plenty of sense. The block off plate can be used to bypass egr on 6.4 vehicles. But if you would like to contact mmx and see why they are no longer on the website have at it.

Last edited: