60750 Miles and Exhaust Manifold leak...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Is this true I have a 15 ram with 37k and am pretty sure I have manifold leaking I can post video if you want.
Sadly, No, it is NOT TRUE!!!
I've been spreading Lies, for the last 9 years & 4700 Posts.
I know, sounds to good to be true
but don't be Fearful, Be Hopeful.

Yes, it is True.
It's on the Internet

Best place to start is right here, search feature, on this forum.
Next best place to start is your owners manual.

Broken Exhaust manifold bolts are covered two differing ways:
Under your power train warranty & the emissions warranty.

Emissions literally start, at that exhaust manifold,
which is now no longer functioning, as designed.

again, read your owners manual for more info.

FYI
Absoblute WORST Place t seek advice is teh Dealership.
They want to make a profit.
if it means Ram pays them 350 or you pay them 1500 so they can put 50 more ion the service aadvisors pocket, guess which one he is going to go with?

He coudl care less that you paid 1500 for a job that warranty would pay for, he just cares that he got 50 more in his paycheck.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I just called a local Ram dealer about my 2016 1500 that just started leaking. His response to whether the repair is covered under the emission warranty was "absolutely". I had talked to another closer dealer that has given me excellent service in the past. They told me not covered.

Thanks gofishn :waytogo:

Happy to Help.
Kinda, Sorta, what this Forum is all about...or so they tell me.

Not the Forum Members or Mods, but those persistent, little Voices, in my head.
Should hear the Evil they Spew.

Great!
Now, they want Beer.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Thats where my nuts come from.

Edit: Pecans/cashews, etc...

WOW, God didn't come through, for you?
Did you get extra Dose of Handsome then?

OMG, The Horror.

Serisouly, thanks, Best Laugh, I've had all day long.

Psst,
I like Pecans, Almonds and the rest too.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Call other dealers up, someoen out there wants the warranty work.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Just looked at the manual. The 8yr/80k for emissions says
“If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this Federal Emission Warranty covers for a period of 8y/80k….
-catalytic converter
-powertrain control module “

The 2y/24k covers the rest including exhaust manifold…

Reading it wrong, if it does not have one of those parts, it has no emission warranty.
It;s legaleze, meant to screw you. It;s nto a listing of all parts covered but a disclaimer stating those parts qualify you for the emission warranty.

EDIT:

Jusdt checked, OP has few mposts and not been bnack. I really hope h e actually read through his thread and see others, witht eh exact same problem and much older trucks, got it fixed u nder emissions, regadrless of what his one dealeer told him.

FORUM LESSON FOR NOOBIES:
Come back and check on your threads. It might be a week or three before someone, who has had your exact same issue, shows up and doles out some serious cash saving fix.

he might be up ion Canaada FIshing or out in Califormia chasing waves and Beach Bunnies.

If you start a thread, check it, often and for a while. If you get a solution, post it up so someeone who has the same issue, 8 yeaars from now, can find the answer.

that;s what makes this forum so great.

Well, that and guys saying California is where they get their Nuts.
That;s pretty good stuff too.

Slayer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah thats what IM NOT trying to do lol
just talked to one of them earlier, they said they (depending on the manager...) can do what they call "good will warranty" since im just over the mileage if it is a warranty thing...
so we will see at this point
Mine broke exhaust bolts warranty stopped at 60.000 and the bolt started snapping at 65.000 cost around $600.00 a tore my rotater cuff so couldn't attempt to do it myself we had the other side done the next month didn't wait for it to break yep the old hemi tick is called Good luck.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So would that be a line I could use and say it’s emissions based? I asked two different oils changes to check studs and said we’re done when I know I have heard this for years at this point.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So would that be a line I could use and say it’s emissions based? I asked two different oils changes to check studs and said we’re done when I know I have heard this for years at this point.
If the PCM was recording a code that is P04xx based, and the fix was to replace the exhaust manifold, I'd say that would be a solid argument.

Unfortunately, I personally have never seen a cracked exhaust manifold on a 5.7 Ram throw a code.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 88088 miles.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the PCM was recording a code that is P04xx based, and the fix was to replace the exhaust manifold, I'd say that would be a solid argument.

Unfortunately, I personally have never seen a cracked exhaust manifold on a 5.7 Ram throw a code.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 88088 miles.
Right, so where are people getting this idea that I can go to the dealer and say it’s an emissions issue and get it fixed that way?

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Regards,
Dusty
So why is gofishing telling me I can get it warrantied under emissions? This is stupid two oil changes I told them I heard a ticking and they said studs were done so it’s just their word against mine.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So why is gofishing telling me I can get it warrantied under emissions? This is stupid two oil changes I told them I heard a ticking and they said studs were done so it’s just their word against mine.
Unfortunately, the exhaust manifold and bolts are only covered under the power train warranty, not the emissions warranty. The 8-yr emissions warranty only covers the cat and PCM.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Right and I have a 15 with 38k so I’m screwed right?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Right and I have a 15 with 38k so I’m screwed right?
I would love for my '15 to have only 38k miles.

All you can do is ask the dealer, they'll only say yes or no. But they also wont bother to mill/sand your existing manifold flat, they'll replace it and it will warp and/or break bolts again.

Passenger side is easier to do. Have you checked to see if your bolts are indeed broken?

When your engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shield. If they are loose, broken bolts is your issue. If you feel the body of the bolt attached to the back side of the heatshield, they are broken off at the cylinder head. If you only feel what appears to be the thickness of a nut attached to the back of the heatshield, then they've broken off flush with the outside of the manifold. Super-easy to get them out.

I strongly recommend against drilling the bolts if they are broken off flush with the cylinder head. The welder method is best to use here. You have been warned.

Passenger side is easier to do than driver side. Four-wheel drive is harder than two wheel drive because the bolt that holds the oil dipstick tube is behind a bracket. Much easier to remove the driver side manifold if you pop the oil dipstick tube out of the block.

Belt sand your exhaust manifold flat. Remflex gaskets and everbuilt hardware should run you about $100.

Last edited:

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would love for my '15 to have only 38k miles.

All you can do is ask the dealer, they'll only say yes or no. But they also wont bother to mill/sand your existing manifold flat, they'll replace it and it will warp and/or break bolts again.

Passenger side is easier to do. Have you checked to see if your bolts are indeed broken?

When your engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shield. If they are loose, broken bolts is your issue. If you feel the body of the bolt attached to the back side of the heatshield, they are broken off at the cylinder head. If you only feel what appears to be the thickness of a nut attached to the back of the heatshield, then they've broken off flush with the outside of the manifold. Super-easy to get them out.

I strongly recommend against drilling the bolts if they are broken off flush with the cylinder head. The welder method is best to use here. You have been warned.

Passenger side is easier to do than driver side. Four-wheel drive is harder than two wheel drive because the bolt that holds the oil dipstick tube is behind a bracket. Much easier to remove the driver side manifold if you pop the oil dipstick tube out of the block.

Belt sand your exhaust manifold flat. Remflex gaskets and everbuilt hardware should run you about $100.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There are federal laws that implement the emissions warranty. Some states have add parts to what’s covered under the emissions warranty. Check what your state says. I can’t recall anyone getting this fixed under emissions warranty though. Some dealers would put this through under warranty since you’re barely over the expiration mileage.
I would check with an independent shop. Has to be cheaper than a dealer.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are federal laws that implement the emissions warranty. Some states have add parts to what’s covered under the emissions warranty. Check what your state says. I can’t recall anyone getting this fixed under emissions warranty though. Some dealers would put this through under warranty since you’re barely over the expiration mileage.
I would check with an independent shop. Has to be cheaper than a dealer.
Yeah but the years I’m def over 15 with 38k. What baffles me is the dealership itself said they would replace the studs and other hardware but not the manifold itself. It’s already warped and will do this again. Why would I pay 300 to 500 for something that’s going to happen again?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah but the years I’m def over 15 with 38k. What baffles me is the dealership itself said they would replace the studs and other hardware but not the manifold itself. It’s already warped and will do this again. Why would I pay 300 to 500 for something that’s going to happen again?
I have read if you have the manifold machined it won’t warp again. I haven’t had this issue so I can’t say from personal experience.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I feel your pain. Even if the dealer did replace the exhaust manifold, you still would most likely have the same issue down the road.

It seems that the manifolds warp like hell and break the bolts, and once they are sanded or milled flat, they never do it again.

A very common issue, so many here have been through it. All that can be done is pay to have it fixed, or DIY.

I let mine go for way too long, prob 40k miles or more, until I couldn't take it sounding like sh*t, then I caved and fixed it.

I'm sure you might find a decent exhaust shop in your area where you might find a decent price, all you can do is ask around. See if they machine the manifolds, etc.

Wish you the best for a complete and lasting fix.

Last edited: