65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DevRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I've been reading this forum up and down for a while and all the info is great. Haven't seen anything about **** kits in here though, I've got a transgo coming next week and plan to put that in when I do my filters. Wondering if anybody here has any input on these shift kits, most of the posts I read all point towards good things and I'm hoping the kit, fluid change, filter change and new quick learn will take the little bit of shutter i get from time to time.

Also, was thinking about doing a TC swap as well, I feel like mines beginning to get noisey but I'm also called paranoid, they were supposed to beef up the converter when they moved to the 65RFE but I had problems with it in my last truck 3rd gen 1500

Has anybody had problems with their Torque converters yet in the 65?

Thanks guys

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm sure there's someone that's had problems with the torque converter in the 65rfe but I believe since they improved it starting with 2012 it's been minimal.

There is a shift kit available from Transgo but it requires removing the valve body and modifying that to a degree. Then the pcm needs to be hooked up to a proper scan tool to perform a quick learn. It's fairly involved but from what I hear it works well...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought most that have done shift kits in their 6 speed removed them because they didn't like the way their trans after install. Just from what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought most that have done shift kits in their 6 speed removed them because they didn't like the way their trans after install. Just from what I've read.

Really? That's good to know, I was actually considering one after my power train warranty was up...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After a few back and forth with HEMIFEVER he set my shift points in my 6 speed to my liking.

So much easier then a shift kit :)

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure there's someone that's had problems with the torque converter in the 65rfe but I believe since they improved it starting with 2012 it's been minimal.

There is a shift kit available from Transgo but it requires removing the valve body and modifying that to a degree. Then the pcm needs to be hooked up to a proper scan tool to perform a quick learn. It's fairly involved but from what I hear it works well...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Removing the valve body is the easy part , if you want the full kit the whole trans needs to be dropped. Sean can do some pretty amazing things with the six speeds. Making the transgo kit not worth it. Talk to Sean and he can tweak it to your style of driving. He had mine MUCH more aggressive, it was a beast!!!!! Couldn't have been happier!! Also with a 3000 edge stall. Just keep in mind the weakness of the rfe and all will be well.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Removing the valve body is the easy part , if you want the full kit the whole trans needs to be dropped. Sean can do some pretty amazing things with the six speeds. Making the transgo kit not worth it. Talk to Sean and he can tweak it to your style of driving. He had mine MUCH more aggressive, it was a beast!!!!! Couldn't have been happier!! Also with a 3000 edge stall. Just keep in mind the weakness of the rfe and all will be well.
Sounds like a tuners the way to go. One might be in my future...

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After a few back and forth with HEMIFEVER he set my shift points in my 6 speed to my liking.

So much easier then a shift kit :)
Not only that, it's 100% revertable to stock in minutes

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My warrenty is over, Ill never put the stock file in it ever again. :)

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My warrenty is over, Ill never put the stock file in it ever again. :)

Sorry if you said it before, but what transmission filters are you going to use now that you don't have to use OEM

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep forgetting to ask this, anybody elses 5/6speed have a dull whine when cruising in 4th(3rd in 545RFE) around 30-40mph? Get on the highway and go 55+ and it goes silent. My truck has done this since the day I test drove it with 9 miles on it and it just broke 24000 this morning. Hasn't gotten worse or anything and it shifts perfectly...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Keep forgetting to ask this, anybody elses 5/6speed have a dull whine when cruising in 4th(3rd in 545RFE) around 30-40mph? Get on the highway and go 55+ and it goes silent. My truck has done this since the day I test drove it with 9 miles on it and it just broke 24000 this morning. Hasn't gotten worse or anything and it shifts perfectly...
Yes. There is a thread specifically about this. Your not alone. Mine does it but only when its colder out. In the 70's i cant hear a thing but when i start reaching the 50's out and colder its there.

Someguys have it all the time though. One guy thought he connected the noise to the shifter linkage. He said when he pushed up on the column shifter while driving noise would go away. I thought he said he fixed the problem but adjusting the shifter linkage.

I tried pushing up on my column shifter while driving and it does not affect the noise on my truck. There seem to be a handful of opinions about what it is but nobody knows for sure.

I'll see if I can find it

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd like to say that recently (within the last month) my truck too has started making that slight air noise driving and I thought it was the blower motor but since others have stated it's at lower speeds/ rpms mine is the same. I couldn't pin point it but now I think on it I'm in the same boat. My truck has 87,600 miles on it with new fluid and filter as well within the last 3,000 miles. Maybe the colder temps are playing into it.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok guys a question: Why is there so much hate for the 5/6 speed trans?? Looking over the forum, theres so many people who are willing to trade their trucks in for an 8 speed even though it will put them upside down financially. I just dont get it. I'm quite happy with my 65RFE and the way it shifts. I've driven many vehicles with MUCH worse transmissions before. My old work van for instance, a 2005 E250. You want to talk about a trans that shifts completely at the wrong time.....

I realize the 8 speed is a superior trans and I'm not hating on it. I've driven a Hemi Ram before with the 8 speed. It shifts somewhat quicker, it will downshift 2-3 gears almost instantly, but its not THAT much better to give up the easy maintenance on the RFE trans. IMO the best thing about the 8 speed is the ridiculously short first gear. Great for getting a heavy load moving.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow I feel exactly as you !

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife's 16 Challenger had the 8 speed I do think it's awesome on that platform. ..
I've never drove it on a Ram though..

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ok guys a question: Why is there so much hate for the 5/6 speed trans?? Looking over the forum, theres so many people who are willing to trade their trucks in for an 8 speed even though it will put them upside down financially. I just dont get it. I'm quite happy with my 65RFE and the way it shifts. I've driven many vehicles with MUCH worse transmissions before. My old work van for instance, a 2005 E250. You want to talk about a trans that shifts completely at the wrong time.....

I realize the 8 speed is a superior trans and I'm not hating on it. I've driven a Hemi Ram before with the 8 speed. It shifts somewhat quicker, it will downshift 2-3 gears almost instantly, but its not THAT much better to give up the easy maintenance on the RFE trans. IMO the best thing about the 8 speed is the ridiculously short first gear. Great for getting a heavy load moving.

Thoughts?

I think the hate is mostly fabricated and rolled off of old issues .... and that everyone and his brother says dodges (dimler) had crappy transmissions. When somthing has had consistant problems in the past it is VERY hard to build a good rep on it again. There IS that old saying, if the shoe fits.

We can pick anything apart and make it sound bad. Little gripes that somone has can turn into a "problem" with the transmission. and I too have my little gripes with the 6 speed, but they do not inhibit propor function IMO. And I do not want an 8 speed. If i could chose it would be an Aisin.

On a side note. I have had better transmissions before. My f-150 ecoboost had an absolutly fabulous transmission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My wife's 16 Challenger had the 8 speed I do think it's awesome on that platform. ..
I've never drove it on a Ram though..

I bet that's pretty nice on a challenger! We just picked up a 17 Grand Cherokee Limited for my wife. 3.6 Pentastar with the 8 speed. It is a nice trans and it makes the 3.6 feel pretty damn fast so I can only imagine what its like in a Challenger...