65rfe 4th gen 6 speed auto xsmn .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I THINK this would be a good place to post this.

And im posting it because i just want to hear your thoughts, it is a slight change of subject but it still has to do with our transmissions.

So I have a buddy that works for Chrysler. Don't know his exact position title but I know he works with the drivers (he used to be a driver) that test drive all the trucks on proving grounds, he is a mechanic/diagnostics guy for them.. Best i understand anyhow. I asked him if he got to drive the concept ram rebel TRX with the 6.2 hemi and 570 some horsepower. He said yes and he was not impressed because it had the torque management system.

from what I understand our six speeds do have a torque management system as well as the transmissions in the Dully's. I asked him what his opinion was on why in the world they are putting all this horsepower and torque and trucks and then using a torque management system to basically cut the torque at certain points. He said it's to protect the transmission and drivetrain. I understand that but I asked him why in the world don't they build a drivetrain they can handle the power and torque they put in our trucks... As well as Ford and Chevy they are doing it to.

I suggested with the guess, are they just doing it because of the cost to build a transmission That can handle it would be almost too much for the normal consumer to be able to afford..? His opinion was that exactly.

I'm not sure what to think of it

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A tone of good info in this thread. One thing I would add is a kiddy pool from Walmart, made dropping the pan so much better and a lot less messy. :baby:
Welcome to the thread Hammerhead LOL What a great name !

Thank you for your service Sir ( Army here )
I lived in Ga. For about 7 years collectively. Savannah & Atlanta .

I live in Tn now so Go Vols I apologize in advance for the beat down your boys will receive today !

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a good price, Castrol is $36 for 6 quarts on Amazon

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
That's a good price, Castrol is $36 for 6 quarts on Amazon

Cheapest retail I have seen for licensed ATF+4 spec'd fluid. I bought a case of it last time when it dipped and have used it when I did my pan swap.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's definitely the cheapest Ive seen it...

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow ! $30 per gal !

Why 4 gals ?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The MH pan holds 7 quarts so 4 gallons is 2 more drain and fills with 2 quarts extra. I'm set for a while

Im sure you have mentioned it before, but are you out of warranty? Hence the redline tranny fluid.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im sure you have mentioned it before, but are you out of warranty? Hence the redline tranny fluid.

Yeah I'm rolling the dice with that one because I have another 1.5 years of powertrain warranty left. However I made sure to get the filters from the dealer and I have the receipts for the Castrol Transmax ATF+4 that I originally used which is a licensed fluid. So worse case I show them those receipts and the filter receipts. They don't have to know about the drain and fill with RL C+....

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah I'm rolling the dice with that one because I have another 1.5 years of powertrain warranty left. However I made sure to get the filters from the dealer and I have the receipts for the Castrol Transmax ATF+4 that I originally used which is a licensed fluid. So worse case I show them those receipts and the filter receipts. They don't have to know about the drain and fill with RL C+....

This message SHOULD self destruct in 10 seconds. Lol

If you know what I mean

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This message SHOULD self destruct in 10 seconds. Lol

If you know what I mean

Ha yup! I'm not too worried my trans shifts fantastic so far.

Also I have consciously avoided things that kill the RFE trans such as WOT downshifts at highway speed. From what I've read whatever you do, DO NOT hammer it on the highway trying to pass someone. If you have to pass, manually downshift the trans, and then pass. These trans don't like forced downshifts when bolted to a Hemi...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ha yup! I'm not too worried my trans shifts fantastic so far.

Also I have consciously avoided things that kill the RFE trans such as WOT downshifts at highway speed. From what I've read whatever you do, DO NOT hammer it on the highway trying to pass someone. If you have to pass, manually downshift the trans, and then pass. These trans don't like forced downshifts when bolted to a Hemi...

So even a slight increase in acceleration at highway speeds that cause a downshift are bad. I mean... What about when it downshifts when going up a hill on the highway? Or when i hit the cruise up a few MPH and it downshifts by itself?
Or are thouse most likeliy downshifts into 5th, not 4th. This whole downshifting on the highway thing "is bad" is a little concerning

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So even a slight increase in acceleration at highway speeds that cause a downshift are bad. I mean... What about when it downshifts when going up a hill on the highway? Or when i hit the cruise up a few MPH and it downshifts by itself?
Or are thouse most likeliy downshifts into 5th, not 4th. This whole downshifting on the highway thing "is bad" is a little concerning
From what I've read, it's only when you do a wot downshift when the trans is in 6th gear and it downshifts to 5th (545RFE it would be 5th to 4th gear). I don't think "normal" downshifts like you described are necessarily bad for the trans...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
From what I've read, it's only when you do a wot downshift when the trans is in 6th gear and it downshifts to 5th (545RFE it would be 5th to 4th gear). I don't think "normal" downshifts like you described are necessarily bad for the trans...

I am a very good listener and feel like i interprate what people mean with the words they choose very well.... Most of thie time....

I dont like the phrase " i dont think " & "are necessary bad"

LOL! Thanks for the help, and increased anxiety

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am a very good listener and feel like i interprate what people mean with the words they choose very well.... Most of thie time....

I dont like the phrase " i dont think " & "are necessary bad"

LOL! Thanks for the help, and increased anxiety

Ha sorry man and I share your concern. Personally I think the RFE transmission is overcomplicated. I mean why 2 second gears? Why not split the difference in gear ratios and call it a day?

Hemi450HP has posted a lot about this problem on here as he races one of his trucks. He has stated that it's a pretty solid transmission as long you avoid wot downshifts...

Honestly before I knew anything about this, several times I had passed people on the highway with a forced downshift at probably 2/3 to 3/4 throttle and my trans is so far perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just something to be aware of...