68RFE OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jphilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New to the site, so I've tried to go through all the posts, but I have yet to find one that is similar with my issues. Unless I just overlooked it. I've noticed that when shifting from 1-5, it seems to work flawlessly, but it doesn't hold 5th and goes straight into overdrive. I've researched this quite a bit, but cannot find anyone having the same issue. I'm suspecting the valve body leaking, which might allow it to just bypass 5th for the most part. But when manually shifting it does just fine. I'm debating on a valve body and shift solenoid swap, but I hate to waste the money if that will not fix my issue. I'm looking at the revmax with the revmax solenoid. I will welcome any advice. I'm running a raceme tuner with trans-tuning, but this has been going on for longer than I've had the turner. 2015 Ram 2500 68RFE

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New to the site, so I've tried to go through all the posts, but I have yet to find one that is similar with my issues. Unless I just overlooked it. I've noticed that when shifting from 1-5, it seems to work flawlessly, but it doesn't hold 5th and goes straight into overdrive. I've researched this quite a bit, but cannot find anyone having the same issue. I'm suspecting the valve body leaking, which might allow it to just bypass 5th for the most part. But when manually shifting it does just fine. I'm debating on a valve body and shift solenoid swap, but I hate to waste the money if that will not fix my issue. I'm looking at the revmax with the revmax solenoid. I will welcome any advice. I'm running a raceme tuner with trans-tuning, but this has been going on for longer than I've had the turner. 2015 Ram 2500 68RFE

ATS has a bunch if videos on that transmission. The design of the transmission does not like heat at all. The valve body plate warp really easy.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I've noticed that when shifting from 1-5, it seems to work flawlessly, but it doesn't hold 5th and goes straight into overdrive.
From your description, it sounds like normal behavior. It is based on speed, load, and if tow/haul mode is selected. I suspect the issue is more than what you initially posted. Additional detail would help. For example, did you notice a behavior change in the 5th to 6th shifting?

OP
OP
J

jphilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I purchased the truck used. Honestly it hasn't thrown any codes yet. I didn't notice it when I first bought it but between towing the camper and farm trailers(tow/haul mode used) I've noticed it becoming more obvious when not using tow/haul mode and not towing. It shifts fine beyond the jump from 5th to OD. It holds all the gears prior to 5th, then almost immediately goes straight to od. This happens when I'm not under load nor pushing it hard. Is this normal?

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It sounds normal to me and no different than what my 2015 with the 68RFE does.

Now if the 5th to 6th shift was happening while in tow/haul, I would suspect a problem. When I'm towing, and in tow/haul, the transmission will hold 5th until I exceed around 65MPH (I have 3:42 axle ratios).

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I can't say if it's normal or not. I never pay attention to the shifting when not towing. It does what it does. Unless it's throwing an error code or making some other obvious "broken truck" noises, I just let it do its thing.

OP
OP
J

jphilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you, all! I'll keep an eye on it and chances are I will go ahead and throw the revmax vb and solenoid in at some point. Especially with all the bad things I've seen about the oem one just for preventative maintenance. But at least now I'm in no rush.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You trans tuned it for psi or just change shift points? If you upped the psi, you should have put the plate upgrade for the valve body or the psi is likely what caused this. Accumulator piston, over drive piston, or leaky valve body could be the issue, yes all solved by a new VB, sooner rather then later would be good, save the clutches. If the trans psi is up, very desirable, you should really have the valve body plate installed, but those arent cheap, in a lot of cases as costly as the VB itself. Once properly attached, that valve body should never warp again. The real ones cost upward of 300 bucks and require the VB to be sanded flat if it isnt already. The ones that bend are really gaskets called plates, is fine for oem I guess, but if you tune for pressure you need the solid plate. If you rebuild yourself fairly easy and you don't have to worry about compatibility as many guys put a vb on only to have 4 gears or other whack things, and probably wont need a flash. Get a metal filter thread while its open, perhaps even use synthetic media filters. OEM sump filter is great, the canister filter is junk. Look into carbon ones, maybe will work, dunno. The real plates are harder to find because of supply stuff going on, cnc cut plates not "3" times as thick as gaskets, they are must thicker then that. That is why the VB never warps again, it's a dam plate feel me?

OP
OP
J

jphilley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Absolutely. I was figuring that the valve body would be my issue. I've been on several forums researching and revmax seems to have a solid rep, figured if I'm changing one I'll go ahead with the solenoid as well. I've got the metal filter thread already so I'm ahead of the curve with it. On the trans tune it did up the psi some. Think the mqz is 185 for the current tune with either 225-250 (I can't remember) for the performance trans tune. I'm just trying to make this one last for as long as absolutely possible and minimize the chances for something happening long term. Thank you!

Mike Huber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I ordered the #3 package. Eco tune with trans tuning and had the file within the day. Flashed in and all I can say is WOW. My truck truly is a dream to drive. I would say I drive normal but I’m not afraid to floor it at times and the engine and trans tunes are spot on. If you want a comfortable and overall nice running truck this is it.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2022 68rfe was having various shifting issues and I had it looked at and re-programmed and they said there was nothing wrong with it, even though it shifted totally different than my '21, '20 and '19 68rfe Rams.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2022 68rfe was having various shifting issues and I had it looked at and re-programmed and they said there was nothing wrong with it, even though it shifted totally different than my '21, '20 and '19 68rfe Rams.
I'm a little confused. You say your 22 has the 68RFE, but below your avatar, your 22 is shown as having a hemi motor, which would not have a 68RFE tranny. That would be the 66RFE, I believe.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm a little confused. You say your 22 has the 68RFE, but below your avatar, your 22 is shown as having a hemi motor, which would not have a 68RFE tranny. That would be the 66RFE, I believe.
Actually he would have the 8 speed and not the rfe at all. 68rfe would be in the Cummins and the hemi would have the 8 speed trans. If it is indeed the 68rfe what type of shift issues are you having? The valvebody and shift solenoid are known problems with shift issues in the rfe line up.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I just bought the 6.4 a few months ago. I traded in the Limited with the Cummins that had the 68rfe.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Actually he would have the 8 speed and not the rfe at all. 68rfe would be in the Cummins and the hemi would have the 8 speed trans. If it is indeed the 68rfe what type of shift issues are you having? The valvebody and shift solenoid are known problems with shift issues in the rfe line up.
Yes, 8-speed ZF.

isomer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l cummins
I ordered the #3 package. Eco tune with trans tuning and had the file within the day. Flashed in and all I can say is WOW. My truck truly is a dream to drive. I would say I drive normal but I’m not afraid to floor it at times and the engine and trans tunes are spot on. If you want a comfortable and overall nice running truck this is it.