7" lift - 5th gen / RWD/ 2 piece driveshaft - do I need carrier bearing kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Looking at the first pic it looks like it is using stock control arms and no relocation brackets? With a 7” lift? That would tell me the axle must be twisted up wrong. Looking at the 3rd pic, its hard to tell but it looks like the axle pad is definitely twisted funky from the vertical plane of the coil spring, yet making that straighter would make the pinion angle even worse.

I would for sure start with a carrier drop first for simplicity sake and the fact that it seems to be a common modification and then go from there.
The control arms don't need relocation brackets with the Maxtrac lift, the relocation brackets it has are for the end links and the panhard that is all you need with this lift ... if there is vibration then the carrier bearing kit is what fixes it ...it fixed it on my truck and on @the_goodguy07 's truck as well ...

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Do bump stop extensions come with that kit? Has nothing to do with driveline vibrations just my own curiosity

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I went back and looked at this pic…and i have to ask, is the driveshaft flange tight/flat up against the pinion flange? It looks like it isnt, and maybe the bolts are loose.

That would make her vibrate for sure!
I’ll check and make sure there isn’t any play in the bolts, but it think that’s just the angle.

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
The control arms don't need relocation brackets with the Maxtrac lift, the relocation brackets it has are for the end links and the panhard that is all you need with this lift ... if there is vibration then the carrier bearing kit is what fixes it ...it fixed it on my truck and on @the_goodguy07 's truck as well ...
i ordered the zone kit - any suggestions on how much spacing to start with? They suggest 2” of Spacers for a 6” lift, and 1” for a 4” lift, so I guess go with 2”?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
i ordered the zone kit - any suggestions on how much spacing to start with? They suggest 2” of Spacers for a 6” lift, and 1” for a 4” lift, so I guess go with 2”?
I’m not following what you’re saying? Spacer’s??

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I’m not following what you’re saying? Spacer’s??
The carrier drop kit comes with different sized spacers,which allow you to adjust how far you drop it to align the angle. I can obviously look when I install it, but if Cheech already installed a couple of these, he may have a good idea what worked.

E298A73E-ED88-4F39-A6C8-984AD1C18670.jpeg

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
The carrier drop kit comes with different sized spacers,which allow you to adjust how far you drop it to align the angle. I can obviously look when I install it, but if Cheech already installed a couple of these, he may have a good idea what worked.

View attachment 488091
Got ya. I was thinking you ordered the zone rear box kit. Zaw good brother
2” spacers will do the trick with your Maxtrac being 4” the zone coils are 5”

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine

View attachment 488091
This doesn't look like the carrier bearing kit I got .... the one I got looks like this one below and I used all the spacers included ....

1646881665602.png

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Yes, which one did you get ?
from Zone. I dont know that it matters, but the zone one is listed as for the 2019-2022 model year. Maxtrac still lists as only thru 2018. I’m sure it’s the same thing, just different washers.

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
FYI - this was the response from Zone, when I asked them about how many spacers to use, in relation to lift. Hopefully this helps someone else; too!

The rule of thumb when installing carrier bearing drop kits is 1/4 inch per inch of REARlift, so if you lifted the rear 4 inches you would want 2 inches of shims. 6 inches you would want 2.5 inches of shims so on and so on. I will attach a highlighted snippet of an instruction file.
I would like to take this opportunity to point out this is a baseline starting point and it may be necessary to play with the shims to find out what YOUR truck wants as there is no industry standard. There may be some fine tuning required.

Support the driveshaft and remove the two bolts that secure the carrier bearing to
the crossmember. Lower the bearing and install the shims between the bearing
and crossmember. A good starting point is to add a 1/4" of shim for cach inch of
rear lift. Use the provided 10mm bolts and washers and torque to 41 ft/lbs.

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Got the kit this afternoon, and put it on with 2” spacers/shims as directed above. Took a test drive, and the vibration was noticeably worse than before…. It was pouring, and we had dinner reservations, so no time to make any additional changes. Tomorrow, it’s supposed to clear up in the afternoon, so weather permitting, I think I’m going to back down to 1/2” spacers, and see how that goes, since it wasn’t that much vibration initially. if still awful, then 1”, and if not getting better, back to stock, I guess.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Got the kit this afternoon, and put it on with 2” spacers/shims as directed above. Took a test drive, and the vibration was noticeably worse than before…. It was pouring, and we had dinner reservations, so no time to make any additional changes. Tomorrow, it’s supposed to clear up in the afternoon, so weather permitting, I think I’m going to back down to 1/2” spacers, and see how that goes, since it wasn’t that much vibration initially. if still awful, then 1”, and if not getting better, back to stock, I guess.
Snap some pictures with the 2” spacers in there.

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Forgot to get pics with the 2”, these are with the 1”. Just got back from a ride. Better than the 2”, but still worse than stock. Enough that I’m pretty sure the 1/2 won’t be an improvement over stock, so maybe this isn’t the problem….
B66C1B81-095F-449C-A389-58DAA14879D5.jpeg2A425388-63A9-4835-987C-963B1E592FDA.jpegA2F1CB9D-B461-4469-B9BB-92B572975D04.jpeg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
You need to get the Maxtrac kit instead of that POS zone one .... and install it with all 3 of the spacers it comes with ....