7" lift - 5th gen / RWD/ 2 piece driveshaft - do I need carrier bearing kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the least amount of vibrations, you want the angle of both u-joints to be the same. You can achieve this with adjustable control arms, a carrier drop, or a combination of both. 94193924-114E-4CE8-A99F-B677DE88F2F4.png

Looks to me like your diff needs to be twisted up a bit, but hard to tell for sure from the pics.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Amazing that people ignore what others say in this case the fact that the OP in fact needs the carrier bearing kit and nothing else ... if you add the CBK you don't need adjustable rear control arms at all ... I added the CBK to my truck and it fix the vibrations ...but hey wtf do I know right ?

People come on here all the time and ask for help but then decide to either ignore the suggestions, recommendations or say that their shop has been doing this for so long so they trust them instead lol ...

I would never allow anyone to cut my coilsprings and do welds to fix a problem that was never there to begin with ... you go the wrong parts and this guy decided to micky mouse your installation

Again, $45 to install that CBK and your vibrations will go away, just ask @the_goodguy07 he had the same vibrations on his 2wd with a 2 piece driveshaft and we installed the CBK and it went away ... but hey your truck go ahead spend money that you don't need to spend lol ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
You’re going to need adjustable control arms to dial that angle in. I’m sure most trucks are good and you are one of the few that needs The pinion angle dialed in.
Why adjustable control arms, all he needs is the carrier bearing spacer kit no need for the adjustable arms ... although I have the core 4x4 adjustable arms I didn't need to adjust them to dial my pinion angles ....

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Why adjustable control arms, all he needs is the carrier bearing spacer kit no need for the adjustable arms ... although I have the core 4x4 adjustable arms I didn't need to adjust them to dial my pinion angles ....
His pinion angle is off dropping the driveshaft won’t fox that angle. I’m wondering if the springs are sitting properly

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
So - called this morning, said it was vibrating at low speed and 50-60. He said he didn’t cut the springs, Maybe I misunderstood (totally possible). He suggested I drive it for another week or so, see if it settles in. If not, bring it back, to see if the driveshaft needs to be adjusted with shims. But he will fix it

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
So - called this morning, said it was vibrating at low speed and 50-60. He said he didn’t cut the springs, Maybe I misunderstood (totally possible). He suggested I drive it for another week or so, see if it settles in. If not, bring it back, to see if the driveshaft needs to be adjusted with shims. But he will fix it
Just get the carrier bearing kit !!!!! lol .....

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Can’t shim a coil spring truck only leaf spring trucks. A Carrier bearing drop is cheap enough to try. You can do that in your driveway (I don’t think that is your fix but it surely will not hurt)
Also rear springs are designed not to settle or sag so they will not settle in.

Can you post more angles of your driveshaft where it attaches to the rear it may just be the camera angle that makes the rear look like it’s rolled forward

@CheechDogg.0n37s post a picture of your pinion angle

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
His pinion angle is off dropping the driveshaft won’t fox that angle. I’m wondering if the springs are sitting properly
And yes, the carrier bearing kit will fix that angle, that's how mine was before I installed it on my truck .... it drops the driveshaft a couple of inches I can get the exact measurements if you want ...

OP
OP
B

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
Thanks all. Will try and get a better pic from this angle tonight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had a 7” Maxtrac lift installed on my 2021 RWD Bighorn, I have a 2 piece driveshaft (quad cab, 6’4” bed). Do I need the carrier bearing spacer/drop kit? It wasn’t an option to order from Maxtrac for my model year, but I can order it for the older year (should fit mine) or order from Zone for my year.

I reached out to Maxtrac via email, they claim it’s not necessary for the 19 and newer model year. However…there is noticeably more vibration than pre install (when there was none), specifically between 52-58 mph, maybe this is what’s causing it?
You definitely need to line all that up. Tranny to differential should be a straight line.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, hopefully these show the driveshaft to diff angle better?
View attachment 487987View attachment 487988View attachment 487989
Looking at the first pic it looks like it is using stock control arms and no relocation brackets? With a 7” lift? That would tell me the axle must be twisted up wrong. Looking at the 3rd pic, its hard to tell but it looks like the axle pad is definitely twisted funky from the vertical plane of the coil spring, yet making that straighter would make the pinion angle even worse.

I would for sure start with a carrier drop first for simplicity sake and the fact that it seems to be a common modification and then go from there.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed - I’m not going to suggest anything at all, other than say theres a vibration…. I saw that fluid, too, but I don’t know if its related? I haven’t had any fluids changed, at all, other than an oil change about 5k miles ago (only 10k miles on the truck). It would be a strange coincidence, since there was no vibration when I drove it in and dropped it off, though. There is also moisture on other areas of the differential, so may have just run through a puddle when I was out running errands earlier That morning. (And ive Never seen any drips/stains on the driveway). Will check it this morning, to be sure
View attachment 487733
I went back and looked at this pic…and i have to ask, is the driveshaft flange tight/flat up against the pinion flange? It looks like it isnt, and maybe the bolts are loose.

That would make her vibrate for sure!