8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I luckily don't have anything wrong with the radio screen yet

I was just wondering if i did have the issue, if i could take the whole radio to a little store close by, that works on Smart phone screens as a main part of their business.
Do you think that they would have the knowledge to work on radio screens ?
Probably, but the cost of the screens has jumped around $500 new (they used to be $100-$200).

If it's a chain place, many of those stores will only work on very specific models of things and then only very specific repairs.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The shop near me i believe is a chain store, their uniforms have some AT&T patch on them, but the shop is unlike the regular AT&T stores

The older technicians know how to do things that the regular AT&T stores told me that what i needed done was impossible to do

A machine that AT&T got rid of years ago, this shop still has :)

The shop is called Phone Zone Wireless
They work on all brands of cell phones, but specialize in Iphones & Samsung
They also work on Tablets

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
As for finding screens from Chinese sellers, all were either fake listings or they wanted more money after purchasing at a lower price they hadn't updated yet.

The damaged eBay screen turned out nice though. I removed the scratched anti-glare screen with Goo Gone, a razor blade and glass cleaner. Then applied a matte Bro-Tect screen protector to the bare glass. Very happy with the results, the Bro-Tect is the best matte screen cover possible in my opining (I don't know how they aren't more popular).

This...

cea562bfbe0e0b956c7bdc34347c21a4.jpg

To this...

8954c3e2d3c1f3c1d3519e1dc686e7b7.jpg

Buntcake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just caught up on this thread and it seems like this is a pretty common issue for the 2018 Ram unconnect. I have a 2018 with 32k miles on it and the screen just started to delaminate a few weeks ago. Sadly I am out of the 3 year warranty by a few months, but did write RamCares to see if they have any recommendation on how to rectify the situation. Waiting to hear back...

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here, 2018 and it looks like this today. The top left corner is slowly getting worse. Does anyone know if there is a way to stop it from spreading? 20210427_170302.jpg

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Same here, 2018 and it looks like this today. The top left corner is slowly getting worse. Does anyone know if there is a way to stop it from spreading? View attachment 245734
You can try to purchase a cheap UV flashlight to try and get it to cure the glue but in my tests the glue (LOCA) will not fully cure on these bad screens.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try to purchase a cheap UV flashlight to try and get it to cure the glue but in my tests the glue (LOCA) will not fully cure on these bad screens.

Thank you, if I try this how long should I leave the light on it? Do I have to take the radio out? I actually have a uv light already. I appreciate your help.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you, if I try this how long should I leave the light on it? Do I have to take the radio out? I actually have a uv light already. I appreciate your help.
If you can make the light stable/supported with the radio installed it should work (if it's going to work at all. The area that's visible is pretty much all of the area that can be cured.

As for time, good LOCA cures very quickly. It sets in under 1 minute after activating and should have a full cure within 3-5 minutes. That said, this is bad LOCA that didn't cure properly from the factory. I personally would let it go overnight and remove the radio from the truck just in case the UV light has any effect on the plastic trim.

Note that while the bubble is at the top, the bad LOCA will actually be flowing out the bottom of the screen (it's "draining" out the bottom).

If you want to try to completely remove the bad LOCA I'd be happy to help walk you through it (my previous posts should get you there though). I suspect that so long as the screen hasn't started ghost touches that it's possible to repair the delamination completely but I have yet to get a screen to try it with.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I will be doing some research and im going to try the light first. If that doesn't work I will try removing the loca, then I will review yor previous posts. Either way I will report back to this thread on my results.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me. I will be doing some research and im going to try the light first. If that doesn't work I will try removing the loca, then I will review yor previous posts. Either way I will report back to this thread on my results.
Sounds good, removing and replacing the LOCA is not as daunting as it sounds. These radios come apart fairly easily and the only thing I would say is be careful with the ribbon cables. They are sturdy enough but if you break one it is not easy to find a new one.

If you do open your radio, I would recommend this modification I did as well to prevent overheating...

https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/2488990

Pstryker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am now dealing with the same issue, 2018 1500 Laramie, delaminating screen. Called the dealer, they say I must pay because out of warranty, called ram care, they say I'm "too far" out of warranty- i guess this is subjective. So now I come to the forums to start venting because a 3 year old vehicle like this should not have this issue and should definitely be covered.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am now dealing with the same issue, 2018 1500 Laramie, delaminating screen. Called the dealer, they say I must pay because out of warranty, called ram care, they say I'm "too far" out of warranty- i guess this is subjective. So now I come to the forums to start venting because a 3 year old vehicle like this should not have this issue and should definitely be covered.

I agree!...... should have been a recall
Too many with the same problem

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The cheapest screen replacements available now are around $375. If you're interested let me know and I'll send you a PM (I don't want them all to get snatched up by a reseller reading my post).

Previously I purchased from the same seller and only paid $220 (had factory damage that's easily repaired). Before that I paid $160 brand new. Now new is $600-$800 for just the screen...all of this has taken place within a year.

Last edited:

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quik update, so I tried to recure with the light ,no good. This is today , 2 months after my first picture. Thanks to SitKneelBend I was able to purchase the parts to attempt the repair. I will update when I receive everything and give it a shot. 20210630_073601.jpg

Rav3ncroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@BBhorn I'm looking forward to hear how things go for you. Hopefully you can take some pictures or video. The current video is great but sometimes they overlook what they think is obvious that will help out the rest of us.

I'm still nervous about replacing it myself. So I haven't pulled the trigger yet. By nature, I'm still researching, gathering info and procrastinating.

ksonnen1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine had a small crack that ended up crossing the entire screen making it do weird things so i ended up replacing with with a Stinger Heigh10.

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I saw yours a few pages back. Guess I got lucky .I ordered the matte screen protector but its not coming for a few weeks. I might not even have to replace the anti glare. Once I try the new screen Ill see how it is.