8.4 Uconnect touch screen delaminating....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grand cheroke 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Before you go hunting down which screen from China to buy, I would just pull the radio out and peel the screen protector off with a hair dryer. Wipe the glue off with alcohol pads, then throw a $10 screen protector from amazon on it. This is exactly how an 8.4 that I just did looked on the edges, and same with a 12” screen that had a bunch of gouges in it. You don’t even have to disassemble the screen, just take the radio out of the dash.
So also have an 2018 jeep grand cheroke overland and my screen just started delaminating. So you say that is an anti glare layer I can heat up with a hair dryer and peel off and replace with a new screen protector. If this is true I will do it myself.

Grand cheroke 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Before you go hunting down which screen from China to buy, I would just pull the radio out and peel the screen protector off with a hair dryer. Wipe the glue off with alcohol pads, then throw a $10 screen protector from amazon on it. This is exactly how an 8.4 that I just did looked on the edges, and same with a 12” screen that had a bunch of gouges in it. You don’t even have to disassemble the screen, just take the radio out of the dash.
Is this the same on jeep grand cheroke overland 2018 .

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So also have an 2018 jeep grand cheroke overland and my screen just started delaminating. So you say that is an anti glare layer I can heat up with a hair dryer and peel off and replace with a new screen protector. If this is true I will do it myself.
If yours looks like the one pictured a few posts back, then no it is not the screen protector. The one in that picture has has the glass digitizer delaminating from the LCD display. There was a run of screens that had bad glue which seems to fail after a certain period of time.

You can try separating the glass digitizer screen from the LCD but it is a long messy tedious procedure. Once they are separate, you can use new Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA) to relaminate the glass digitizer screen screen to the LCD display. Or buy a new screen. I tried the former and optically it looks perfect but I must have damaged the very fine etching on the glass digitizer screen so the bottom 1/2 inch of the digitizer is dead. I ended up buying a new screen.

Grand cheroke 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If yours looks like the one pictured a few posts back, then no it is not the screen protector. The one in that picture has has the glass digitizer delaminating from the LCD display. There was a run of screens that had bad glue which seems to fail after a certain period of time.

You can try separating the glass digitizer screen from the LCD but it is a long messy tedious procedure. Once they are separate, you can use new Liquid Optically Clear Adhesive (LOCA) to relaminate the glass digitizer screen screen to the LCD display. Or buy a new screen. I tried the former and optically it looks perfect but I must have damaged the very fine etching on the glass digitizer screen so the bottom 1/2 inch of the digitizer is dead. I ended up buying a new screen.
If you buy a new screen for like a hundred bucks can you just install it the way it comes or is there more to it?

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate to be that guy that joins a forum and then asks for help... But I'm that guy. Unfortunately my 2018 1500 Bighorn (46k. miles) started showing signs of delamination today. After getting educated by wonderful forums like this, I'm prepared and capable of doing the repair myself. I called RamCares but got denied twice - out of warranty/second owner, yada yada. I may still call the local dealer just to get a price on having them do the work but it sounds like I should expect something in the $1200 range. Or.... I found this online using your guidance:

$350 is a bit easier to stomach. Do you guys know if this is what I need? Based on my reading I'm about 95% sure this will work (assuming it's a decent quality replacement) but I wanted to touch base with someone more knowledgeable before I committed.

I appreciate your help and time - especially for a complete stranger.

EDIT: Nevermind - it appears that item isn't actually available from that seller. But confirmation of the right part would still be appreciated. I found it on ebay for $800 - you're not that far off from a dealership at that point.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I hate to be that guy that joins a forum and then asks for help... But I'm that guy. Unfortunately my 2018 1500 Bighorn (46k. miles) started showing signs of delamination today. After getting educated by wonderful forums like this, I'm prepared and capable of doing the repair myself. I called RamCares but got denied twice - out of warranty/second owner, yada yada. I may still call the local dealer just to get a price on having them do the work but it sounds like I should expect something in the $1200 range. Or.... I found this online using your guidance:

$350 is a bit easier to stomach. Do you guys know if this is what I need? Based on my reading I'm about 95% sure this will work (assuming it's a decent quality replacement) but I wanted to touch base with someone more knowledgeable before I committed.

EDIT: Nevermind - it appears that item isn't actually available from that seller. But confirmation of the right part would still be appreciated. I found it on ebay for $800 - you're not that far off from a dealership at that point.
That is the right part. You can get factory damaged screens for an ok price. I'll send you a PM with the eBay listing.

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is the right part. You can get factory damaged screens for an ok price. I'll send you a PM with the eBay listing.
Thanks for the confirmation.

I'll check out the damaged screens. It may be my only option. But I'd prefer to get something new that would (hopefully) be better built/engineered to avoid the problem in the future. It will be a major pain to have to go through this every 2 or 3 years.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel

Don't buy the cheap Chinese knock-offs!! Only buy genuine LG screens from US based vendors.

I bought a knock-off from Aliexpress for $500. It started to delaminate after 3 days! I filed a dispute with Aliexpress and it was a 3+ month nightmare to get my money back. With Aliexpress you have to pay return shipping and you can not make it part of your dispute claim. Return shipping to China via DHL cost me $130. The Aliexpress dispute platform is totally automated with no way to talk to a human. Many of the emails they send you are in Chinese so you have to use Google translate to read them. You either submit what they request or they will settle the dispute in the seller's favor. They requested a video of the unpacking which I did not have. I sent a video stating that is not normal US consumer behavior. Their site is so slow to upload a 25MB video took 40 minutes to upload after 3 tries before it finally worked. The seller kept trying to say it was damaged during installation. The credit card company is no help because Aliexpress has a dispute process and you did receive the merchandise from the vendor.

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't buy the cheap Chinese knock-offs!! Only buy genuine LG screens from US based vendors.

I bought a knock-off from Aliexpress for $500. It started to delaminate after 3 days! I filed a dispute with Aliexpress and it was a 3+ month nightmare to get my money back. With Aliexpress you have to pay return shipping and you can not make it part of your dispute claim. Return shipping to China via DHL cost me $130. The Aliexpress dispute platform is totally automated with no way to talk to a human. Many of the emails they send you are in Chinese so you have to use Google translate to read them. You either submit what they request or they will settle the dispute in the seller's favor. They requested a video of the unpacking which I did not have. I sent a video stating that is not normal US consumer behavior. Their site is so slow to upload a 25MB video took 40 minutes to upload after 3 tries before it finally worked. The seller kept trying to say it was damaged during installation. The credit card company is no help because Aliexpress has a dispute process and you did receive the merchandise from the vendor.
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. Most of what I'm seeing online though are Chinese sellers/origins. Even on ebay. Any suggestions on where to look state side?

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan to call some dealerships today to see if 1) they will just sell me the unit and let me do the repair or 2) get a quote on a repair without a diagnostic visit. Unlikely for both I'm guessing - especially since I can't find the radio unit compatible with my truck on moparpartsinc.com or moparpartscorp.com (perhaps I am just struggling to find it though?).

But all of this has me wondering if it really makes sense to spend this kind of $$ on another mopar product that just fail again. Does it warrant consideration to go with a third party vendor and conduct an "upgrade"? I know very little about what options there may be, but I came across this:

It's expensive, but likely what I would be paying for a repair at the dealership. Or is it possible to upgrade to the 12" display in a 2018 with a 8.4 screen? Assuming parts could be found, I'd suspect it may be feasible. Or maybe there are other options/opportunities to upgrade to something that is better built/last longer but is still compatbile with all of the features of the truck (back up camera, etc.). Thoughts anyone?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. Most of what I'm seeing online though are Chinese sellers/origins. Even on ebay. Any suggestions on where to look state side?on
The eBay listing I sent you are "new" factory damaged screens that ship from Atlanta, GA. One thing I have not yet figured out is how to identify a screen that is going to delaminate with heat prior to actually seeing it happen. It would be great if these could be identified by S/N...

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I plan to call some dealerships today to see if 1) they will just sell me the unit and let me do the repair or 2) get a quote on a repair without a diagnostic visit. Unlikely for both I'm guessing - especially since I can't find the radio unit compatible with my truck on moparpartsinc.com or moparpartscorp.com (perhaps I am just struggling to find it though?).

But all of this has me wondering if it really makes sense to spend this kind of $$ on another mopar product that just fail again. Does it warrant consideration to go with a third party vendor and conduct an "upgrade"? I know very little about what options there may be, but I came across this:

It's expensive, but likely what I would be paying for a repair at the dealership. Or is it possible to upgrade to the 12" display in a 2018 with a 8.4 screen? Assuming parts could be found, I'd suspect it may be feasible. Or maybe there are other options/opportunities to upgrade to something that is better built/last longer but is still compatbile with all of the features of the truck (back up camera, etc.). Thoughts anyone?
Here is an upgrade option. 12" is doable...

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is an upgrade option. 12" is doable...

That looks like more than I want to get into....

I just spoke to the local Ram dealer. He said a remanufactured display/radio unit will run $750-ish and a new unit will run $1,400.00. I do the replacement myself. There is a two year warranty on both items even if I do the repair myself. I can't stomach $1,400 but I fear the reman will just delaminate again... Not sure what to do.

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The eBay listing I sent you are "new" factory damaged screens that ship from Atlanta, GA. One thing I have not yet figured out is how to identify a screen that is going to delaminate with heat prior to actually seeing it happen. It would be great if these could be identified by S/N...
For some reason when I click the link you sent me it just takes me to ebay - not a specific listing. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

However, I did find this listing:

I offered $180 and they countered with $220. Not sure if I should pull the trigger or go with the remanufactured unit. Or something else (third party) altogether.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
For some reason when I click the link you sent me it just takes me to ebay - not a specific listing. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

I offered $180 and they countered with $220. Not sure if I should pull the trigger or go with the remanufactured unit. Or something else (third party) altogether.
Those screens are for the older RA4. The correct part number for the UxQ is LA084X01 (SL)(01) or LA084X01 (SL) (02).

aekash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought mine from this Ebay seller in April 2021. So far so good. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303952263935
Thanks for the referral and steering me away from the other seller. I may try this route. I talked to the dealership again and it will be just shy of $800 out of the door for a remanufactured unit.

But I am still toying with the idea of just going custom now and getting a Kenwood or Pioneer head - being sure to find an option that will maintain full functionality with steering wheel controls, etc.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered from the vendor that Chri5k referenced (thank you for that). He accepted my offer of $500. The $300 savings is nice but hopefully it lasts at least two years - otherwise I will lament not having that 2-year warranty from the dealership. I will let you guys know how it turns out and it's nice having this resource to help with the screen swap when the item arrives.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

Wrong part number. Won't work. I almost made the same mistake.

Try this...see PM

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That looks like more than I want to get into....

I just spoke to the local Ram dealer. He said a remanufactured display/radio unit will run $750-ish and a new unit will run $1,400.00. I do the replacement myself. There is a two year warranty on both items even if I do the repair myself. I can't stomach $1,400 but I fear the reman will just delaminate again... Not sure what to do.
They will sell you a refurbished radio? That's the first I've heard of that. That's a decent price from a dealer too in my opinion.