8 speed complaint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
To be frank, the tow haul mode is not aggressive enough. I really wish it would hold gears longer and down shift more aggressively when braking on the downhill bits. Things like driving around in town and slowing down at a red light, I find myself waiting on it to downshift to give some engine braking. It doesn't, and I end up going deeper into the brake pedal than expected.

I kinda thought it was all in my head but I think the TFL Ike video supports it.

My 2012 f150 had a much more aggressive shift strategy.

Otherwise I really love the truck, motor, and transmission. 2019 Bighorn 6.4 3.73.

Thoughts? Is there a chance ram adjusts the shift strategy for tow/haul? Any idea about tunners?

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
yep. i have noticed the exact same thing. i towed a bunch of stuff from Colorado with my 1500 6 speed. the T/H in that truck was awesome. It would downshift to use engine breaking really well.

I did the same tow in my Power wagon, and found myself CONSTANTLY using the brakes, after the first couple minutes. i just had to manually downshift to get ANY kind of engine braking going.

You are not alone. i also watched that TFL video on the Ike after, and i thought. Yep. same exact experience.

OP
OP
B

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
yep. i have noticed the exact same thing. i towed a bunch of stuff from Colorado with my 1500 6 speed. the T/H in that truck was awesome. It would downshift to use engine breaking really well.

I did the same tow in my Power wagon, and found myself CONSTANTLY using the brakes, after the first couple minutes. i just had to manually downshift to get ANY kind of engine braking going.

You are not alone. i also watched that TFL video on the Ike after, and i thought. Yep. same exact experience.

It seems like it would be a super easy adjustment.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
It seems like it would be a super easy adjustment.

it would have to be something Ram WANTED to fix though. lol. It would involve reprogramming the Transmission when in T/H mode to do things like hold gear longer, change shift points and such.

So maybe not so easy lol.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I personally would reset the TCM/PCM when towing if it’s mainly driving around unloaded.

There are either 32-40 shift maps on the ZF8, it develops soft habits over time kinda like a woman.

OP
OP
B

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
it would have to be something Ram WANTED to fix though. lol. It would involve reprogramming the Transmission when in T/H mode to do things like hold gear longer, change shift points and such.

So maybe not so easy lol.

I don't see why not, when I tuned my 2012 ford via 5 Star the tow tune increased the shift strategy agression along with fueling and boost.

OP
OP
B

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
I agree it’s not very aggressive on TH braking. I’m sure any decent tuner could code you a custom tune to address that. Might be worth it to you if you tow a lot.

Also nice in the city with lots of red lights, or hilly/twisty back roads.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
there are no tuners for the 2019+ 2500 yet lol.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep, tuners are the answer.
Maybe one day a tuner won't be required for us that tow.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I really wish it would hold gears longer and down shift more aggressively when braking on the downhill bits. Things like driving around in town and slowing down at a red light, I find myself waiting on it to downshift to give some engine braking. It doesn't, and I end up going deeper into the brake pedal than expected...

I Thoughts? Is there a chance ram adjusts the shift strategy for tow/haul? Any idea about tunners?

When going downhill if you have the cruise control set the truck downshifts faster to help slow the vehicle as compared to if your not using the cruise.
As for approaching a stop light, apply the brakes early then back off. The trans will downshift quicker and subsequent applications of the brakes will cause the transmission to down shift (this works on both my Ram and my Ford work van). Unless the truck has some input of your intentions to slow down or stop, it has no way to assume you want to just because your foot is not on the accelerator pedal.
The Tow/Haul mode changes the shift points up and down to keep the engine more into the torque peak of the engine.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Tow/Haul mode changes the shift points up and down to keep the engine more into the torque peak of the engine.

Can a tuner change the rpms you want the truck to shift? I dont do a towing, but my 19 classic with the 3.21 gears wants to get into 8th gear asap. Ive been manually setting it to 7th gear when driving around town, but was wondering if what i asked is possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't understand? What is the problem with just putting it into "manual" with the sifter on steering wheel and handle the shifting "as/when" you want to? I see a lot of people just complain about not having a "standard" shift and having to deal with an automatic when the manufacture gives the option and you don't use it. I just shift when I want to when pulling a load of going down hills. Simple, easy, actually fun.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't understand? What is the problem with just putting it into "manual" with the sifter on steering wheel and handle the shifting "as/when" you want to? I see a lot of people just complain about not having a "standard" shift and having to deal with an automatic when the manufacture gives the option and you don't use it. I just shift when I want to when pulling a load of going down hills. Simple, easy, actually fun.
Stop that!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can a tuner change the rpms you want the truck to shift? I dont do a towing, but my 19 classic with the 3.21 gears wants to get into 8th gear asap. Ive been manually setting it to 7th gear when driving around town, but was wondering if what i asked is possible?
Yes you can have a tuner adjust the shift points, probably to whatever you want but why. Probably most of why your truck feels lacking is the 3.21 gearing. The stock trans "tune" is for economy and overall customer satisfaction. If your not pushing the truck it will race up to eighth, step on and trans will drop into the right gear. Try turning the Tow/Haul even though your not towing, there are a few guys on here that do that.

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes you can have a tuner adjust the shift points, probably to whatever you want but why. Probably most of why your truck feels lacking is the 3.21 gearing. The stock trans "tune" is for economy and overall customer satisfaction. If your not pushing the truck it will race up to eighth, step on and trans will drop into the right gear. Try turning the Tow/Haul even though your not towing, there are a few guys on here that do that.

Thanks. I wasnt going to do it, i was just wondering if is possible. Dont want to ruin the warranty, at least not yet. Ive never used the two haul mode. Ill give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
When going downhill if you have the cruise control set the truck downshifts faster to help slow the vehicle as compared to if your not using the cruise.
As for approaching a stop light, apply the brakes early then back off. The trans will downshift quicker and subsequent applications of the brakes will cause the transmission to down shift (this works on both my Ram and my Ford work van). Unless the truck has some input of your intentions to slow down or stop, it has no way to assume you want to just because your foot is not on the accelerator pedal.

So the way it downshifts in cruise is about the way I would like it to shift when not in cruise, but still in T/H.

Yes, it will downshift in town when you hit the breaks as you describe. I would prefer those shift to be more aggressive/quicker when in T/H.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So the way it downshifts in cruise is about the way I would like it to shift when not in cruise, but still in T/H.

Yes, it will downshift in town when you hit the breaks as you describe. I would prefer those shift to be more aggressive/quicker when in T/H.

The truck's control modules need input on your intentions or it will try to keep the ride as smooth, quiet and efficient as possible. When the cruise is on it has a target speed to achieve.
If you want low rpms shifts, you have the wrong engine. Your torque peak is up around 4K rpms, the transmission will try to keep the shifts up in that range. My trans will make it to 8th faster than yours and stay there longer, the benefit of the 2K rpm torque band.
The TCM in these trucks are a lot smarter than the average bear, it knows and tracks all the available rpm ranges and can make multiple gear changes as needed.

OP
OP
B

Bisley45

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
The truck's control modules need input on your intentions or it will try to keep the ride as smooth, quiet and efficient as possible. When the cruise is on it has a target speed to achieve.
If you want low rpms shifts, you have the wrong engine. Your torque peak is up around 4K rpms, the transmission will try to keep the shifts up in that range. My trans will make it to 8th faster than yours and stay there longer, the benefit of the 2K rpm torque band.
The TCM in these trucks are a lot smarter than the average bear, it knows and tracks all the available rpm ranges and can make multiple gear changes as needed.

I don't think you get what I'm saying. Let's say I'm in town doing 45ish 7 gear in T/H. As soon as I hit the brakes, I would prefer it to bang down the gears faster to provide engine braking.

At no point was I advocating for lower RPMs and higher gears, quite the opposite actually.