8 speed swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought the 2013+ trucks with the 8HP70 had the buttons to manually shift on the steering wheel, above the cruise buttons?
They do, but that doesn't count towards retrofit when the vehicle wasn't wired for it. Now if you're willing to go above and beyond into the realm of PITA lol, it probably can be done in an early 4th gen. Anything year wise before that it isn't happening.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
They do, but that doesn't count towards retrofit when the vehicle wasn't wired for it. Now if you're willing to go above and beyond into the realm of PITA lol, it probably can be done in an early 4th gen. Anything year wise before that it isn't happening.
That's one of the nagging thoughts in the back of my head as I move forward with this project lol. I have an "early" 2014 (build date of 9-13). I'm already planning on a dash swap and looking for the wiring harness for a 13-14 sport or similar to make sure I have all the right wiring and connections. I've been looking for a sport donor truck that I could cannibalize and swap it all. Not had much luck other than an Express that I got the AC Compressor and engine harness from

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
Just want to add to this a bit of learnin I got this weekend and hope I didn't f**k up. If you have a 13-14 truck, you must get an ECM and the correct engine harness (which includes the hookups for the 8HP70) or it will not work. Grabbed a harness from a 15 with an 8 speed. 100% will not work on a 13-14 ECM. The plug is actually the same plug that the 6 speed 13-14 trucks use (that off white???). I might be in luck being the place I bought it from has a 2014 with the correct harness I hope and gonna do what I can to sort it out and triple confirm that the above statement is correct.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I thought the 2013+ trucks with the 8HP70 had the buttons to manually shift on the steering wheel, above the cruise buttons?
Well they do and the don't. You can manually shift (really just limit and then allow) upshifts if you shift down.
But you can't force a shift up, you can force down a bit (within a range - ex. can't go to 2 if your rpms would be excessive). If that makes sense.

For ex.
In my Ram, if it is in 7th and you shift to 8th - it will allow 8th but with the normal engagement as if it was in drive and it will take it's time.
On my wife's Mazda, if I am in 5th and shift to 6th, it is instant as long as the parameters are met - ex. I can't go into 6th if it would mean that the rpms would be really low or if the speed is really low. But they are realist end parameters which does give a lot of flexibility.

Also once locked into manual 6th, it will stay there until the rpms and speed really drop out - like on a big hill and it almost hits 1000 rpms or so. It is entirely sensible if you saw how it works.

HOWEVER, on my Ram, if I am in manual 8 and there is a blip of a hill (like an interstate overpass), it will still automatically drop into 7th instead of holding 8 and and not even think about lugging the motor. Drives me crazy as it is only a very small rpm/speed drop before dropping a gear. It is my biggest gripe as I would just like it to stay in 8 just a bit longer. The worse part is I have 3.92's so we are talking cruising in the 1800-2000 rpm range. Just no need to downshift.

OP
OP
J

jmihalchik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just want to add to this a bit of learnin I got this weekend and hope I didn't f**k up. If you have a 13-14 truck, you must get an ECM and the correct engine harness (which includes the hookups for the 8HP70) or it will not work. Grabbed a harness from a 15 with an 8 speed. 100% will not work on a 13-14 ECM. The plug is actually the same plug that the 6 speed 13-14 trucks use (that off white???). I might be in luck being the place I bought it from has a 2014 with the correct harness I hope and gonna do what I can to sort it out and triple confirm that the above statement is correct.
You only have to get that if you don’t use the sga kit…. To me ain’t worth all that because of a module I stuck under the seat.

t0ymach1n3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L???
You only have to get that if you don’t use the sga kit…. To me ain’t worth all that because of a module I stuck under the seat.
Sorry you're not interested in spending my money on my truck the way I am. If you wanna give me the money, I do whatever you want to it. Until then, i'm gonna keep doin me and let you know if I actually want your opinion about this subject.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Heard something interesting yesterday, supposedly SGA is working on a retrofit kit for the SRT-10's......505 V10 with an 8sp behind it.....4.56 gears......welp 1st is utterly useless LMAO.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I'm running the SGA kit with the dial shifter as a stand alone with my Cummins. I would like to install a console shifter so I can up/down shift when towing and wonder if anyone has successfully done this? Russell at SGA says it has to be the charger/Challenger shifter.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Has to be that shifter or I'm pretty sure the TRX shifter will work as well. It looks it's better set to integrate into a Ram console (if you have one) than the car version would:

Screenshot 2022-05-05 at 11-51-03 RM021_581FN.jpg (WEBP Image 1000 × 667 pixels).png

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
The bezel is really what I'm interested in as far as the swap. Is there a stock bezel that will work in the 4th gen ram and take either the car or TRX shifters?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The bezel is really what I'm interested in as far as the swap. Is there a stock bezel that will work in the 4th gen ram and take either the car or TRX shifters?
Not without modification. The TRX bezel is fitted to the 5G console, different but might be made to work. 4G consoles were only ever mechanical shift (RFE) or open with the dial shifter on the dash. I've been eyeing the TRX shifter (and surround) for this very reason when I go to do this in my 03 since it already has a 4G console, might be an easier option vs cutting up the stock plate:

IMAG4643 (2).jpg

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I bought a shifter and bezel ($75) from a 2010 1500 today as a starting point. Now I need to find the Challenger shifter to see if I can marry the two together.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Oh very nice! so the Challenger boot does cover the old gate holes which is what I was concerned about. Link to that page?

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Found it, thanks for posting that, nice to know someone has made it happen.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not without modification. The TRX bezel is fitted to the 5G console, different but might be made to work. 4G consoles were only ever mechanical shift (RFE) or open with the dial shifter on the dash. I've been eyeing the TRX shifter (and surround) for this very reason when I go to do this in my 03 since it already has a 4G console, might be an easier option vs cutting up the stock plate:

View attachment 492624
The new 2022 GT 1500's also use a console shifter,i'm guessing it's very similiar to the TRX shifter though