8 Speed Trans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The automakers do not provide solutions for permanently disabling fuel saving measures such as MDS and Start/Stop. The EPA knows that people will do it, and will not include such things in their MPG testing if they can be turned off. This hurts CAFE and therefore the bottom line on the manufacturer's bottom line.

Neil Proulx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
my 2016, 3.6 with the 8speed trans, would not allow me to watch as the tran shift up or down. its a shame as i would like to have known what gear i was in.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
my 2016, 3.6 with the 8speed trans, would not allow me to watch as the tran shift up or down. its a shame as i would like to have known what gear i was in.
The 7" Multi-page EVIC allows you to see what gear your limited to and what gear the transmission is in. The 3.5" EVIC or shows what gear you limited to. You can also see what gear your in using the Torque App(Android) or Fusion app(iOS).

You don't have Manual Mode??
Unless you have a transmission tune, there is no "Manual Mode". You can limit what gear the transmission will shift up to, but the buttons don't force an up-shift.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unless you have a transmission tune, there is no "Manual Mode". You can limit what gear the transmission will shift up to, but the buttons don't force an up-shift.

I don't know of a modern auto tranny that will act like a manual in regards to selecting a specific gear.

"Manual mode" means limiting to a certain gear, just as it has for the last 50-60 years.

However, on the RAM, once you enter Manual Mode, it DOES show both the LIMIT you chose as well as the CURRENT gear you're in.

We once rented a Mercedes S-Class in Switzerland. It always showed what gear you were in even in normal Auto Mode, I really liked that and thought it should be a feature offered and user-electable in any vehicle Simple enough to do, I think. Simpler than lots of other stuff that gets added for "free" anyways...

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
However, on the RAM, once you enter Manual Mode, it DOES show both the LIMIT you chose as well as the CURRENT gear you're in.

Depends on trim level and the dash you have. Like said above, the Ram in my sig only shows the "Limit" gear you selected in manual mode with the +/- buttons. The number does not change as the trans shifts.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know of a modern auto tranny that will act like a manual in regards to selecting a specific gear.

"Manual mode" means limiting to a certain gear, just as it has for the last 50-60 years.

We once rented a Mercedes S-Class in Switzerland. It always showed what gear you were in even in normal Auto Mode, I really liked that and thought it should be a feature offered and user-electable in any vehicle Simple enough to do, I think. Simpler than lots of other stuff that gets added for "free" anyways...

My work van has a manual mode, I can shift gears up and down to the point where the engine will lug. It will limit you if what your trying to do is too far out range for the gear or potentially destructive. I can even do a second gear start, from a dead stop.
You can get a tune for the 8HP70 transmission that will allow you to shift the gears up and down in a similar fashion to how I can with my work van. It's even possible to use the Grand Cherokee steering wheel to get the paddle shifters.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You can get a tune for the 8HP70 transmission that will allow you to shift the gears up and down in a similar fashion to how I can with my work van. It's even possible to use the Grand Cherokee steering wheel to get the paddle shifters.

Cool. If I had known that a few years ago I would have done it. Will be trading mine in when the '20s come out.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99