8 speed transmission change kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will take a good bit before it cools off. I did my pan replacement and initial drain and fill from dead cold (Florida cold, lol) on the first day, took her for a full warm-up drive, then got her back up on the jackstands and let her sit overnight.

Started her up the next day, and she took a little more fluid. Then let her cool a bit and rechecked. Had some more fluid dribble out, and called it good.

As you found out, the fluid drains back a bit from all the internals when the engine's not running, hence the level above the fill plug. Hope your phone is ok.

Btw, did you use OE fluid?
I used the kit from blauparts.com with the eurol fluid which is supposed to be as good or better than the OEM fluid.

I ended up wasting a bit of my fluid and just barely had enough at the end with the 6 liters that came with the kit. The truck got up to 120 degrees and I couldn't get the fill plug back on so I rushed and turned the truck off before it got to hot. When I shut it off some fluid gushed out while I managed to get the plug back on. Later when it cooled I did the gears and the driving to 2nd/2000rpms in neutral and had no fluid come out but it got up to 120 again so I turned the truck off and waited even longer. It got down to 85 and I started the truck and added fluid until it streamed out and put the plug back on and called it good. I took it for a drive to the dump and everything felt good so I'm happy. I ordered 2 more jugs of the fluid and will check the level again next week just to be safe since.

Out of the 6 quarts I ended up having about 4 or 5 ounces left but that was after I wasted close to half a quart so I'll guess that I used 5.5 quarts total, maybe a little less. It was in the upper 50s when I started and the truck sat all night so I was surprised how quick it heated up, even though I was slow struggling with the fill plug and the pump not wanting to empty the jugs.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like you did a good job, 5-1/2 qts. is right in line with what I used on mine.
I got a little lucky with the leveling since I just maxed out my jack stands and it was right on the money level wise both ways!

Last question though. If I wait a week and go to check the fluid level again once I have the extra quarts would I be good just running the truck to 85 degrees and taking off the fill plug to see if any comes out? Nothing more than some drips should come out at that point right?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got a little lucky with the leveling since I just maxed out my jack stands and it was right on the money level wise both ways!

Last question though. If I wait a week and go to check the fluid level again once I have the extra quarts would I be good just running the truck to 85 degrees and taking off the fill plug to see if any comes out? Nothing more than some drips should come out at that point right?
If you level the trans and run through the level check procedure again, and remove the plug and fluid dribbles out, you should be good to go, IMO.

I think a little extra fluid is not going to hurt you, it's not like you are a bunch overfilled. When I rechecked mine, I had a decent dribble when I removed the fill plug, and I didn't wait for it to slow, I just put the plug back on and called it good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Great thread! Thank you. I'm planning on doing mine soon and this is great info!
It really wasn't to terrible other than the hot exhaust right below the fill and drain plug and the one pan bolts that was also under the pipe. I bought a set of stubby metric Allen wrenches to get the plugs off and I had to use a t40 bit with a tiny 1/4 wrench to get the one pan bolt off and back on. I usedy torque wrench on everything but that one bolt and the fill plug since I couldn't get to them but I'm sure it's close.

The fill plug was super tight and I ended up using the stubby Allen and the handle for my rubber mallet wedged between the Allen key and the truck frame and that popped it loose and caused me to bust my pinky knuckle.

I also struggled with the fluid pump since it did not reach the bottom of the oil containers and would leave 12oz Everytime which slowed me down which wouldn't be a problem of you use the Mopar fluid.

Here's the Allen set I used and it was worth the money because they are stubby and have long handles.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone know how to take apart the old pan to see the filter? I just want to inspect it. I didn't see any obvious metal other than some tiny specs on the paper towel when I wiped it down. I'm curious what is on the filter after 110k miles.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can just cut through the filter media near the edges. I think I pried around the edges of mine until I broke it up enough to get the media out.

Wasn't much on the filter, some aluminum flecks and a couple small slivers of bronze.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can just cut through the filter media near the edges. I think I pried around the edges of mine until I broke it up enough to get the media out.

Wasn't much on the filter, some aluminum flecks and a couple small slivers of bronze.
I ended up prying mine apart and I only saw a couple small metal flakes. Not bad for 110k miles

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What was on your magnets? Lots of sponge?
Just a thin layer of grey sludge on the bottom of the pan and the same on the sponge filter. The grey sludge could be worn metal from the break in cycle but I'm not sure. It was all a lot cleaner than I expected is all I know. I guess I saw to many horror videos of huge chunks of metal being in the pan

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck has been driving normally since the change and I plan to check the fluid level again Friday since I ordered 2 more quarts of fluid to be safe. How many of you guys did a 2nd drain and fill to try to get all of the old fluid out? Is it necessary? If I did that it would probably be a few months from now when it's not freezing in the morning and honestly, I'd rather not ever do it again. Lol

The old fluid that drained out was dark but still had a greenish tint to it and it actually didn't look much darker than the OEM that I saw people pouring out into clear containers on some YouTube videos which makes me think my fluid was still pretty good anyway. I also smelled it and it didn't have a burnt smell, at least not to my weak nostrils.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did a fluid level check and I ended up adding about 1 liters more of fluid. When the fluid slowed to a drip after the procedure and I put the plug back in the temp read at 118 and when I turned the truck off it was at 127 so I'm thinking I got it before that 122 threshold. I went through the process twice because I wasn't sure if I switched to 2nd gear the first time so that's why I almost ran out of time. Afterwards, I was at 100 degrees and a little less than half a liter drained back out before it slowed down. I think I'm good but my ADHD will make me worry about it for weeks probably.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just did a fluid level check and I ended up adding about 1 liters more of fluid. When the fluid slowed to a drip after the procedure and I put the plug back in the temp read at 118 and when I turned the truck off it was at 127 so I'm thinking I got it before that 122 threshold. I went through the process twice because I wasn't sure if I switched to 2nd gear the first time so that's why I almost ran out of time. Afterwards, I was at 100 degrees and a little less than half a liter drained back out before it slowed down. I think I'm good but my ADHD will make me worry about it for weeks probably.

Good that you rechecked it.

Do you notice any difference while driving?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

IMHO I think you’re good on the fluid level. As the transmission heats up the fluid expands so it’s not overfilled. I’d bet you got the level correct before it reached 122 as it takes some patience getting the fill plug back in around that hot exhaust and you were back at the evic by 127.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good that you rechecked it.

Do you notice any difference while driving?
It seems to be shifting like it was before changing which is good because I didn't have any issues prior. I've only driven it to the dump and back and I did get quite a few more errors codes on the dash this time. They all cleared and seemed to be related the the ABS and speed sensors so it was all good.

OP
OP
R

ramtruckrob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMHO I think you’re good on the fluid level. As the transmission heats up the fluid expands so it’s not overfilled. I’d bet you got the level correct before it reached 122 as it takes some patience getting the fill plug back in around that hot exhaust and you were back at the evic by 127.
I think it's good too since I got a about 6.5 liters in total and if it got to hot during the fluid check I'd expect a lot more to drain out and cause it to be low after it expanded. I seem to have gotten a little more back in than most people.

For me, no matter what I do, I will always worry about it for a while and I'll be hypersensitive to any suttle shift changes. I'll eventually get over it when I realize it's been a while and is still running good. Lol

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think it's good too since I got a about 6.5 liters in total and if it got to hot during the fluid check I'd expect a lot more to drain out and cause it to be low after it expanded. I seem to have gotten a little more back in than most people.

For me, no matter what I do, I will always worry about it for a while and I'll be hypersensitive to any suttle shift changes. I'll eventually get over it when I realize it's been a while and is still running good. Lol
Sounds like you did a fine job.

You are preaching to the choir here, I am a chronic worrier....lol. I will sometimes worry about things that are months away, or have not even, or may never happen.

I take a look underneath from time to time while I'm doing other stuff, checking for evidence of possible leaks, etc.

I am very leery having to have anyone else do work on my truck, even stuff like tires, but sometimes have to let that go, but anything I can do myself, I will if able, for my own piece of mind.