8 speed transmission fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't think the 8 speed is that brand particular on fluid, just as long as the atf meets the specs of the transmission it should be fine. just checked, a 12 pack of Redline D6 can be had for 127 bucks, a bit over $10.50 per quart. think will order that as am planning on doing my transmission soon as approaching 50k miles. the B6 is also spec for my 2011 Ford Fusion.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don't know this for fact, but I would imagine many Ram dealers who offer ZF8 fluid changes use aftermarket fluids. I don't know how it winds up that way, but assume it has something to do with a slick sales person selling them on a sales pitch. After all, dealerships are a privately owned business that can do what they please- to a degree anyway. They likely would have used that BG fluid if you were at 36K miles or 66K.

They're not going to purposely use a fluid that damages your vehicle. They know what they are using is not going to cause a return visit.

I for one am glad you posted your experiences with this and that they used an aftermarket alternative. I've never been sold on having to use OEM fluids only and never have aside from my Nissan CVTs, but even with those there's more and more aftermarket alternatives that I will be switching to once out of warranty.

Last edited:

71Peters

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been apart of this forum for 5 years or so...and I really like it. But I read a lot more than I post. There is a lot of good information that people post and I am grateful. So the few times I have questions/concerns...this is the first place I come. I will post how my truck (transmission) are doing in future posts. Now since I saw the PDF that showed BG being a suitable transmission fluid I feel a lot better about everything.

skbball06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 1500 Classic Quad Cab Bighorn
Engine
3.6 V6 Etorque
I would like to hear your opinions/experiences.
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie. I keep this truck up to date on maintenance...and now I am at a point where I want the transmission fluid/filter replaced. I have read a lot about it on the internet and this forum. I know its pricey and that Ram calls it a" lifetime fluid" and doesn't include a change interval in the owners manual. So I inquired with my local Dodge dealer (been using them for 5-6 years now) in Raleigh NC, and to my surprise they quote me at $375 US. I questioned it a few times and my advisor was positive this amount was correct. I know the filter and the fluid is pricey...so I wasn't buying $375 at all. So I asked the advisor to look into it and please let me know what he finds out.

Got a call about 2 hours later. Turns out this is not a filter change...only fluid (Flush). I asked why wouldn't you drop the pan and replace it (since the filter is integrated in it). I was informed that its not really a filter but more of a screen, so replacement is not required. They won't drop/touch the pan at all except to drain the fluid. I have mixed feeling about this. I would like to hear what every one thinks about this.

Has anyone's dealer just come right out and say they won't replace the pan? Only the fluid...
I wonder if they are doing a complete fluid exchange? Or a drain and fill. Seems pricey either way but for that price I would make sure they arent just draining the pan ( still tons of contaminated fluid in the system) and replacing what came out. Once the car is running that small amount of new fluid they put in is immediately contaminated by the old dirty fluid. Does it include a cleaner or a conditioner with the new fluid and service?
IMO at that price im looking for a complete transmission fluid exchange that includes a cleaning agent first AND conditioner going in with the new fluid!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder if they are doing a complete fluid exchange? Or a drain and fill. Seems pricey either way but for that price I would make sure they arent just draining the pan ( still tons of contaminated fluid in the system) and replacing what came out. Once the car is running that small amount of new fluid they put in is immediately contaminated by the old dirty fluid. Does it include a cleaner or a conditioner with the new fluid and service?
IMO at that price im looking for a complete transmission fluid exchange that includes a cleaning agent first AND conditioner going in with the new fluid!
I think you'd be better off disconnecting the cooler lines up by the rad and flushing,then back flushing the cooler with tranny fluid at the same time you do a pan and filter change.ZF doesn't reconmend adding any solvents to the 8speed,which is what most cleaning agents are.Then drive it for a few miles and drop the pan and do another fluid swap,that'd give you probably close to a 90% fluid change. When my 8 speed blew up,i flushed/back flushed the cooler and lines,as the brand new tranny came with a new convertor and full of fluid,then i drove it till it was up to full operating temp on the tranny (185) and dropped the pan,replaced it with the PPE pan and did another fluid swap.Since then i religously change fluid/filter in it about every 1.5 years. I find a couple hundred bucks every year and half is a hell'va lot easier to bite off,then buying another 8 speed is,lol. I beat the crap out of the truck on the dragstrip,that's why i swap fluid fairly often now,lol

Last edited:

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express 4x4 RegCab
Engine
hemi 5.7
Glad I found this and sorry for reviving this old thread but I’m getting ready to refresh my 8HP70 fluid and was searching for different fluids. I noticed Rock Auto offers the factory Mopar fluid as well as Pentosin. I’ve used Pentosin in the past in a 2000 VW Westfalia with good results and know they are a good refiner. I’ve also found Ravenol provides a compatible 8HP70 fluid and just recently found these guys.

https://www.triaxlubricants.com/triax-european-car-atf-full-synthetic

Has anyone tried either the Pentosin, Ravenol, or this TRIAX brand? I’ve never heard of TRIAX before and at $9.50/qrt. for a case of 12 seems too good to be true. TIA