8 speed transmission problems, or just how it is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck has been at the dealership nearly a month waiting on valve body with the same problem.

That is ridiculous. Should not take that long. The first time they changed my valve body it took 15 days and that was because the 1st one they sent was no good so had to wait for another one. Still did not take a month but close to it.

Chad777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, this is my first post. I just searched Ram 8 speed problems to make sure I’m not going to have a problem pulling my camper 3000 miles this winter. It weighs about 7000 lbs. I have a 2017 CC short box with 50K mikes. I have never had any of the problems mentioned on this post. I drive that thing like I stole it. I’m a little nervous now.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a used 2016 half ton....I tow lumber from time to time so I made sure I had an extended warranty just in case anything happened. Have 59649 miles on it as of today with no issues besides the new quirk. Not sure what's causing it (post is in the general section). Certainly do not want to have the truck in the shop for an extended stay waiting on parts.

Absolutely love my truck. Came from GMCs that had transmission problems as well as the piston slap issues. This truck represents the first of the rest. I will never drive another truck without either a factory or an extended warranty. Just too darn expensive to fix them these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CamperHauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.8
Reading through this thread I have experienced most of these problems, including not shifting into reverse after idling in park while running errands. I have been to dealer several times and had resets/relearns and the Valve Body(?) replaced twice. Shift quality is still not smooth. I like to drive my cars for 100K+ miles and want to know if this is just the way it is and I will get high milage or if this will cause problems and need a new transmission once I go over my warranty of 60k miles. I'm not a car guy so I can't fix it myself. We use the truck to pull a camper of about 5,500 lbs and also my everyday driver. I have 45k miles on it. Bought brand new in August 2016.

Thanks for any input.

jstroud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only have about 35,000 miles on mine when the bump started. Thinking I get it fixed it may be good trade in from what I have read. This is my first Ramm and I am a little disheartened.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s not a transmission issue from what I have read, it’s a driveshaft issue.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No doubt, and they’re kind a right, it is a normal problem that they need to fix!

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know if this is a problem strictly with Hemi engines, or are the V6 Pentastar rams having this issue also?

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Does anyone know if this is a problem strictly with Hemi engines, or are the V6 Pentastar rams having this issue also?

My Chrysler 300 (2016) has these issues, too. It has the Pentastar V6/8SP combo. The 1st to 2nd gear shift when the transmission is cold is extremely weird, as it “shifts” and then the engine jumps around 1-2K RPM and then actually shifts into 2nd.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Chrysler 300 (2016) has these issues, too. It has the Pentastar V6/8SP combo. The 1st to 2nd gear shift when the transmission is cold is extremely weird, as it “shifts” and then the engine jumps around 1-2K RPM and then actually shifts into 2nd.

Well that sucks. I was under the impression that the 8 speed trans was rock solid, excellent transmission. The more I read about ram trucks, the more I'm getting afraid to buy one.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Well that sucks. I was under the impression that the 8 speed trans was rock solid, excellent transmission. The more I read about ram trucks, the more I'm getting afraid to buy one.

It’s nothing to worry about, honestly. The 8SP is rock solid, just a few hiccups here and there.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s nothing to worry about, honestly. The 8SP is rock solid, just a few hiccups here and there.

I hope so. But anytime I hear of a transmission doing something other than what it's supposed to, I always assume that to mean a shortened lifespan, due to undue stress on internal components.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was under the impression that the 8 speed trans was rock solid, excellent transmission. The more I read about ram trucks, the more I'm getting afraid to buy one.
Well you've come to the right place to hear about problems with any vehicle, an internet forum.
Considering you can probably read about more problems with RFE transmissions than the 8HP line-up on this forum even now.
Unlike the RFE, the 8HP design of trans is used not only in the FCA line up but also BMW, Audi, Bentley, Jaguar and Rolls Royce to name a few.. It is a very robust transmission design and probably one of the best features of a Ram truck.
There is one 8HP70 I know of that is over 600K miles(still going too) that most of that is while towing travel trailer and the only thing the owner has done is changed the fluid every 100K.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you've come to the right place to hear about problems with any vehicle, an internet forum.
Considering you can probably read about more problems with RFE transmissions than the 8HP line-up on this forum even now.
Unlike the RFE, the 8HP design of trans is used not only in the FCA line up but also BMW, Audi, Bentley, Jaguar and Rolls Royce to name a few.. It is a very robust transmission design and probably one of the best features of a Ram truck.
There is one 8HP70 I know of that is over 600K miles(still going too) that most of that is while towing travel trailer and the only thing the owner has done is changed the fluid every 100K.

Good to know and hear about. You can change the fluid on these? I thought it was supposed to be a lifetime fluid, thus no real way to drain and replace?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Good to know and hear about. You can change the fluid on these? I thought it was supposed to be a lifetime fluid, thus no real way to drain and replace?
ZF the designers of the 8HP trans, suggest to change around 80K miles if I remember correctly, only FCA says filled for life.
There is very specific instructions floating around on this forum as the fluid level is pretty critical. The trans has to be sitting level and at a certain temperature range to check the level.
You can use the OEM spec/ZF Lifeguard fluid or a lot of guy use the Valvoline Maxlife fluid. The OEM pan is also the filter, it's pretty pricey considering it's plastic but there are aftermarket variants available.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

I have a 2018 Pentastar 1500 with 3:21 rear end 26K miles and my 8 speed has been the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever driven. Knock on wood, I guess. I've commented to several people it seems like I have a race car driver doing manual shifts for me because it seems to lose RPMs just for a split second as it quickly changes gears. I've been very impressed with it!

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2018 Pentastar 1500 with 3:21 rear end 26K miles and my 8 speed has been the smoothest shifting transmission I've ever driven. Knock on wood, I guess. I've commented to several people it seems like I have a race car driver doing manual shifts for me because it seems to lose RPMs just for a split second as it quickly changes gears. I've been very impressed with it!

That's good to hear. How is that V6 power wise with the 3:21 gearing? I'm on the hunt for a V6 ram, but the 3:55 gearing seems to be harder to find.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Impressive, i was just talking to a buddy of mine, (mechanic) whether i should change or never change, this seems to answer that question. I was just telling him, i haven't ever heard of any automatic going over say 310,000 under no conditions, ( not that there aren't any of course).

Is that person on here?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990