8 speed transmission problems, or just how it is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Micah12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 1500 Limited is at the dealer now for this issue dealer is installing a new drive shaft.
I'm bummed because I see replacing the transmission fixed the issue not the drive shaft.

Any chance the new drive shaft worked in fixing the issue?

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw in another forum that it has something to do with the yolk. Guy explained the exact same problem with his truck. My dad's truck does the same thing. His is a 2019 classic.

From his post: " what's up my moper family i have a 2018 ram with 12,000 mile on it has any one having transmission issue. When I stop it feels like some one taped me in the back and some time when I start to move forward I went to the dealer and thay said that how it is it the transmission a delay kick down never heard of it. my 2010 ram had a nice smoother ride .Now ever time I drive this truck I'm always expecting to feel that when I stop anybody have any problems like this .HELP!"

Comment on post: "You dealer is full of it, the drive shaft is the issue. Had the same problem, one dealer said there was nothing wrong. Took it to another dealer, they described it as bump stop, replaced the d/s, problem solved."

Like I said this is just one of the post. I can't find the other one where the guy actually confirmed this was the issue after getting it fixed. It's something to do with the yolk slipping or something I think.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I can't find the other one where the guy actually confirmed this was the issue after getting it fixed. It's something to do with the yolk slipping or something I think.
Some people have reported fixing the problem by lubing the splines on the rear drive shaft. The splines are covered by the black accordion on the driveshaft.

jakearoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted in another one of these trans threads that I had luck with just taking the rear driveshaft down from the diff and working it in and out a bit and at first it was sticky feeling but then smoothed out. I did not take the boot off or try to lube and just put it back together and took it for a ride, worlds of difference, no downshift or takeoff clunk. This lasted for a few days and returned and I was back to the same stop and go clunk or bump. 2 weeks ago I took it completely apart, removed the boot and lubed the crap out of it with the copper anti-seize mentioned in another thread and put it all back together and it has been smooth since. Hope it stays this way cause it was so annoying that this truck was gonna go. BTW this is a 2015 Sport Crew LB.

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I saw in another forum that it has something to do with the yolk. Guy explained the exact same problem with his truck. My dad's truck does the same thing. His is a 2019 classic.

From his post: " what's up my moper family i have a 2018 ram with 12,000 mile on it has any one having transmission issue. When I stop it feels like some one taped me in the back and some time when I start to move forward I went to the dealer and thay said that how it is it the transmission a delay kick down never heard of it. my 2010 ram had a nice smoother ride .Now ever time I drive this truck I'm always expecting to feel that when I stop anybody have any problems like this .HELP!"

Comment on post: "You dealer is full of it, the drive shaft is the issue. Had the same problem, one dealer said there was nothing wrong. Took it to another dealer, they described it as bump stop, replaced the d/s, problem solved."

Like I said this is just one of the post. I can't find the other one where the guy actually confirmed this was the issue after getting it fixed. It's something to do with the yolk slipping or something I think.
Yeah anyone else with this problem and still under warranty I would take it in and so them this tread as proof.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got my truck back a couple days ago. Problems were the surge coming to a stop, a whine and a leak from the valve body. Parts showed back order to oct.10, but they came way earlier obviously. Replaced valve body and all seems well so far. No surge coming to a stop or whine since and it shifts a lot more smoothly.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Got my truck back a couple days ago. Problems were the surge coming to a stop, a whine and a leak from the valve body. Parts showed back order to oct.10, but they came way earlier obviously. Replaced valve body and all seems well so far. No surge coming to a stop or whine since and it shifts a lot more smoothly.

did you ever notice any issues with low rpm slip? my truck will slip from around 800 or so rpm up to 1700 then down to 1500 where it will engage. this occurs when slowing down and then getting back on the gas. from a start in 1st it does not do it. so mostly when in 2nd 3rd and some 4th. if rpms are up say 2k plus, no slip. no other issues. its like riding the clutch a bit with a manual

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
did you ever notice any issues with low rpm slip? my truck will slip from around 800 or so rpm up to 1700 then down to 1500 where it will engage. this occurs when slowing down and then getting back on the gas. from a start in 1st it does not do it. so mostly when in 2nd 3rd and some 4th. if rpms are up say 2k plus, no slip. no other issues. its like riding the clutch a bit with a manual
I didn't. Mine just shifted extra firmly and it liked to surge ahead a bit when coming to a stop sometimes and had a gear whine under medium to hard acceleration until 70kph or so that was intermittent. The valve body was visually leaking so that was the reason they changed it and seemed to be the cause of the other problems since it's working way better since changed. Faulty valve body could cause slippage as well though depending on what's failed.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Have you had the fluid level checked?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From your description, it almost sounds like it is not unlocking the clutch quickly enough and then when it finally does it also down shifts.
Have you tried duplicating it with a scanner attached and watch what the trans is doing?

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
From your description, it almost sounds like it is not unlocking the clutch quickly enough and then when it finally does it also down shifts.
Have you tried duplicating it with a scanner attached and watch what the trans is doing?

have not done any data logging. do not have any electronics that do it. it is not down shifting. its all done in that gear, whether im in 2nd 3rd or 4th. i manually shift so i can see what gear the truck is in at the time.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah. I wonder if it is just something with the converter lock.
On my 16, I never see rpms that low other than off idle.
Mine will down shift way before it gets to that point, I thing the lowest I see is just over 1000-1100 rpms.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Ah. I wonder if it is just something with the converter lock.
On my 16, I never see rpms that low other than off idle.
Mine will down shift way before it gets to that point, I thing the lowest I see is just over 1000-1100 rpms.

ill have to watch more for how low it actually goes. but the tach is very consistent in going up to 1700 then down to 1500 where it engages. can also hear it, sounding just like slipping / riding the clutch with a manual. i may bite the bullet and have a dealer see if they can find something. maybe they can data log? or run the vac.test on the valve body, although that can give false readings at times (from what i have read). i should call around to any trans places to see if maybe by chance they have worked on an 8hp70. may get lucky.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
are you out of warranty?

The flair up could be converter stall and then partial lockup when it drops down.

IF you do not change speed does it ever drop below the 1500 rpms?
Almost need a scan tool to see what is going on, I would think.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Automatic transmissions in pick up trucks.... Stupid!

I still can't believe a manual isn't even an option.

Like I said, my 545RFE shifts too soon also, even with a tune. The cure for me is to manually, non-abusively shift it myself.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
are you out of warranty?

The flair up could be converter stall and then partial lockup when it drops down.

IF you do not change speed does it ever drop below the 1500 rpms?
Almost need a scan tool to see what is going on, I would think.

so i watched more last night on my commute home. when i go through main street there are about 5 crosswalks throughout the main drag. speed can vary between 20 and 35 depending on traffic, pedestrians etc. the truck will want to be in 4th if i let it. if im poking along with traffic at 30 and have to slow for traffic to say 20 (ill down shift to 3rd), truck will go down yo around 800 rpms. just under the 1000 mark. noy stopping, ill get.back on gas and truck will slip up to 1700 rpms then down to 1500 where it engages and you can feel the load. this is the only issue. low rpm back on gas until it engages then its fine. if tach is up to 1500 plus it doesny slip. other than that no issues. does noy slip higher in rpms once engaged. no issues down shifting or shifting into gears. i do get an occasional shudder doing into 3rd and 4th sometimes. coincidence its 3rd and 4th gears?
im out of warranty. thats my issue. no good trans place around me and id rather not just throw money at a dealer to guess and tell me its within normal tolerance. i may give the dealer i bought it from a shot. its a smaller dealer. worst case is im out the diag fee. im going to give the service manager a call and see what he thinks.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have them also check to see if there are any flashes that need to be done for the trans and to perform a reset and quick learn. Hopefully something simple like that will fix it.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Picked up my truck from the dealership today after 3 days of it being in the shop. They replaced the drive shaft. Truck drives and feels great just like it should. No bump stops, no jerks when slowing down, stopping or taking off. I drove the truck over a 100 miles, afternoon, evening and night, tried all driving scenarios, hard acceleration, quick stops, slow driving, stop and go traffic, jerky inputs and intermittent braking. Nothing caused me to experience the issue I had 4 days ago. Hopefully this has been fixed. I will keep you‘ll updated over the next few months.

2nd day of driving and no issues. Bump free stops and goes. Will keep driving over the next few weeks and let you’ll know.

Last edited: