8HP75R Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone considered or have information on the possibility of swapping an 8-speed 8HP75R into 2014-2018 Power Wagon instead of trading for a 5th generation 2019+? I've grown to really like the 4th gen PWs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's been posted on this forum about a company in Germany that specializes in 8HP swaps.
I know Paramount Transmissions specializes in high performance versions of the 8HP trans, not sure if they do conversions

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
With as complex as these vehicles have gotten over the last decade, engine and transmission swaps are all but a thing of the past. And this is coming from the owner of a mustang that had an auto to 5 speed swap. They’re just not largely possible anymore.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well being the transmission has its own control module and uses engine computer inputs for rpm and such it shouldn’t be hard for the professionals to get something out there. I wonder if you could swap the pcm and tcm out for one from a 1500 with the 8 spd and have it reprogrammed for your truck with the 8 speed swap

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Maybe finding a totaled 19 PW and taking the computer, engine and transmission. Or just the computer and transmission?? Does not sound fun on a 4th gen. But on a first or 2nd gen would be a fun build.

OP
OP
C

Chris_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to think out loud. I read where Dakota Customs was doing 6.4 hellcat motors and the 8-speed swaps into Jeep JKUs & JLUs. I thought that an 8-speed could breath new life into an out of warranty PW.

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any update on this? Love the PowerWagon but this 66rfe sucks hard.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any update on this? Love the PowerWagon but this 66rfe sucks hard.

100% agree.

I am gonna splurge on a pedal commander... if that doesnt rid this truck of my only complaint (or at least make it tolerable) then it may be bye bye and time for upgrading. I cant stand it anymore. Sucks too, because I really like my truck.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With as complex as these vehicles have gotten over the last decade, engine and transmission swaps are all but a thing of the past. And this is coming from the owner of a mustang that had an auto to 5 speed swap. They’re just not largely possible anymore.

A Jeep buddy of mine has swapped several modern gm 6.2’s into jeeps. Even with the new 8 speed trans. All sorts of electronics, but he still gets it done. Mind you, just a small time setup in his garage attached to his house.

Its possible. But man...the electronics would scare the hell out of me!

Mule19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea I would like this new 8 speed tranny vs the 66rfe hopefully some shop will offer something.

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
A Jeep buddy of mine has swapped several modern gm 6.2’s into jeeps. Even with the new 8 speed trans. All sorts of electronics, but he still gets it done. Mind you, just a small time setup in his garage attached to his house.

Its possible. But man...the electronics would scare the hell out of me!
True, but Jeeps are kind of the exception, not the rule. Most cars (with a few notable exceptions) are a nightmare to swap out components like that. It’s not like before, where you could put in a new engine and a junkyard ECU and call it a day.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True, but Jeeps are kind of the exception, not the rule. Most cars (with a few notable exceptions) are a nightmare to swap out components like that. It’s not like before, where you could put in a new engine and a junkyard ECU and call it a day.

Oh I get what you are saying. But Im just saying, he has put modern electronic drivetrains in modern jeeps that are also full of electronics. Its doable. Not by me!!!!!