95 motor in a 96 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Reed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My father has a 96 that's been down for awhile. He LKQd a 95 motor and swapped it in. Everything was good, but all in all it won't fire. The only code that comes up when you do the turn key check is CPS sensor. We've replaced it 3 times and changed out the PCM and still no luck. Any ideas or help on it? I don't know if we forgot to swap something from the original motor or something.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Often times it is easy to forget to plug something in. I have seen it time and time again. I would go over all of your sensor and plugs first. If its all plugged in, then that is one big thing you have run down.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
not sure about those years but I do know Chrysler has been known the change the toner ring tooth count on the crank and that would cause a no fire issue ran into this before

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
not sure about those years but I do know Chrysler has been known the change the toner ring tooth count on the crank and that would cause a no fire issue ran into this before
The tone ring is actually made into the outer ring of the flexplate. The crank sensor mounts on the rear of the right cylinder head and points downward at the flexplate.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My father has a 96 that's been down for awhile. He LKQd a 95 motor and swapped it in. Everything was good, but all in all it won't fire. The only code that comes up when you do the turn key check is CPS sensor. We've replaced it 3 times and changed out the PCM and still no luck. Any ideas or help on it? I don't know if we forgot to swap something from the original motor or something.
The computer ecm is different between 95 and 96 injectors are different as well so maybe put your 96 injectors in.
One Year is hi impedance other is low impedance