A bit of a rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Holy, this is almost a mirror for me. About 4 weeks ago same thing- temp bottomed to zero, digital guage in cluster just showed --°C and 4 Wheel Drive Temporarily Unavailable flashed across the EVIC. Shortly after CEL popped up. Code was P0116. If I stop the truck, shut it off then restart it, everything returns to normal other than the CEL.
Took it on, they replaced a sensor. Not too long after, same thing, same code. T-stat on back order until April 5th, but mine's not under warranty :/

Interesting- it was -38°C here when mine started acting up. I wonder if they are freezing up?

Thankfully mine hasn't become undriveable yet. I am 200kms from the nearest dealer though, so this has me a bit nervous.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
WaterBoy1

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Holy, this is almost a mirror for me. About 4 weeks ago same thing- temp bottomed to zero, digital guage in cluster just showed --°C and 4 Wheel Drive Temporarily Unavailable flashed across the EVIC. Shortly after CEL popped up. Code was P0116. If I stop the truck, shut it off then restart it, everything returns to normal other than the CEL.
Took it on, they replaced a sensor. Not too long after, same thing, same code. T-stat on back order until April 5th, but mine's not under warranty :/

Interesting- it was -38°C here when mine started acting up. I wonder if they are freezing up?

Thankfully mine hasn't become undriveable yet. I am 200kms from the nearest dealer though, so this has me a bit nervous.

Wow that IS just about identical! Mine would start fine after the first incident of the freezing throttle control, but the second time it just surged and sputtered and every light came on (like yours, including service 4 wheel drive, service traction control and the rest). I had it towed to the dealer and when we unloaded it off the roll back, I started it and was able to park it, and just the CEL on at that time.

Not wanting to take any chances though, I just left it there. They agreed though, that's when they approved the rental.

Temps were about -17 when it happened the second time, but it was very damp, almost like a freezing fog.

Happy Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Funny, I found the part on ebay for $42.00 + Free Ship.
Good Luck. Let me know how it works out for you.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same thing happened to me about a month ago. It was about -10F that morning. I was out of warranty so I took it to a local mom and pop shop. Dealer had told me the part was on backorder but my shop had the part the next morning and had truck by the end of the day. I didn't ask if it was aftermarket or not but it was the same priced part as my dealer quoted me. Two year warranty on my thermostat from my shop so I'm happy. It ended up costing $317 for housing, t-stat, labor and diagnosis.

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
Funny, I found the part on ebay for $42.00 + Free Ship.
Good Luck. Let me know how it works out for you.

Was it a Mopar part?

I tried eBay the other day and didn't have any luck.

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine
Dorman has the thermostat housing assembly part #902-3045

I came across that part # on Amazon, however it's 1-2 months out and can't seem to find any place that has it. If you know where it can be found, please share your secret.

Last edited:

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ve not been into the 6.4 yet since mine just turned 20,000 miles trouble free, but I do know a lot of modern cars don’t have the old fashioned drop in thermostats as we old guys remember them. The functional theory may remain the same, but the piece of hardware is not recognizable as a thermostat that I recall, nor is the access to get to them! The 6.4 may be the old simple design and location, but frankly I’d be surprised if it is!

OP
OP
WaterBoy1

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve not been into the 6.4 yet since mine just turned 20,000 miles trouble free, but I do know a lot of modern cars don’t have the old fashioned drop in thermostats as we old guys remember them. The functional theory may remain the same, but the piece of hardware is not recognizable as a thermostat that I recall, nor is the access to get to them! The 6.4 may be the old simple design and location, but frankly I’d be surprised if it is!
I'm thinking the same thing judging by the lack of available replacement parts.

BlackWidow

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram
Engine

Definitely not a drop in like the old days.

04893177AB_0002.jpg

ReefRaider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a friend that owns a bodyshop. They have a 2019 Ram 1500 there to fix frontend damage. The truck has 700 miles on it and it's been there over 2 months now. They can't get the parts to fix it. FCA didn't allow enough parts from truck production to fill replacement needs.

After 43 years in collision repair. I can tell you it's not just FCA who has this problem. It can and will happen with just about any current late model vehicle.

Rich B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not even sure if this rant will be justified. My truck is a 2014 Laramie 2500 6.4. On January 19 of this year, I was driving an hour and a half away from where we live, to our other house which had sold. I was going to pick up my 21' cargo trailer. Temperature outside about -20c. Truck has only about 65,000km on it.

About half way there, my coolant temp pegged to zero and my dash lit up with "service electronic throttle control". Truck still ran fine so I continued, as I had other things to do down there. Figured I wouldn't tow the trailer Just in case.

Took the truck to the dealer the following Monday, said it was the thermostat but they were on back order. The service advisor had spoken to FCA (I have full extended warranty) and they advised they wouldn't authorize the rental as it is still drivable. (Atlantic canada mid-winter with no heat. Yeah great) but oh well. It drove to work and back that week with no issues except it was damn cold!

Decided to make the hour and a half drive that weekend again figuring it's running fine. Figured it would be ok to tow the trailer. Got almost to the other house and the truck just crapped itself. Every light on the dash and it would just surge and not run.

Had it towed to the dealer. They said what happened was the throttle body froze because of the stuck thermostat. FCA advised them to authorize the rental this time. That was on January 26.

The thermostat is STILL on back order.

I love this truck, it has been virtually flawless for over 4 years. I can't find fault with how I've been treated. The issue I have is that it's been over 6 weeks waiting for the part with no end in sight. I mean it's a thermostat for gosh sakes. I'm sure glad they're paying for the rental. Its up over $2,000 now.

That's the end of my rant. Thanks for listening.

Rich B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not even sure if this rant will be justified. My truck is a 2014 Laramie 2500 6.4. On January 19 of this year, I was driving an hour and a half away from where we live, to our other house which had sold. I was going to pick up my 21' cargo trailer. Temperature outside about -20c. Truck has only about 65,000km on it.

About half way there, my coolant temp pegged to zero and my dash lit up with "service electronic throttle control". Truck still ran fine so I continued, as I had other things to do down there. Figured I wouldn't tow the trailer Just in case.

Took the truck to the dealer the following Monday, said it was the thermostat but they were on back order. The service advisor had spoken to FCA (I have full extended warranty) and they advised they wouldn't authorize the rental as it is still drivable. (Atlantic canada mid-winter with no heat. Yeah great) but oh well. It drove to work and back that week with no issues except it was damn cold!

Decided to make the hour and a half drive that weekend again figuring it's running fine. Figured it would be ok to tow the trailer. Got almost to the other house and the truck just crapped itself. Every light on the dash and it would just surge and not run.

Had it towed to the dealer. They said what happened was the throttle body froze because of the stuck thermostat. FCA advised them to authorize the rental this time. That was on January 26.

The thermostat is STILL on back order.

I love this truck, it has been virtually flawless for over 4 years. I can't find fault with how I've been treated. The issue I have is that it's been over 6 weeks waiting for the part with no end in sight. I mean it's a thermostat for gosh sakes. I'm sure glad they're paying for the rental. Its up over $2,000 now.

That's the end of my rant. Thanks for listening.

Rich B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,
My 2014 6.4l truck has the same thermostat issue. The dealer is saying 2 months for a replacement thermostat. It appears Dodge/Ram has a serious part sourcing issue.

OP
OP
WaterBoy1

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No bueno. Can you drive it in the meantime?
I'm guessing it would depend where he lives. For me, it was technically drivable, but with the electronic throttle control freezing up in our cold temps, FCA agreed it should be parked till it's fixed.

If it were a more temperate climate where I lived, not sure if anything else is affected by a non-functioning thermostat, but it would drive fine.

This is all just a guess as I am no mechanic.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just got an update today that the part ETA has been now pushed out until April 26th. There is not a single one available in Canada. Mine has been sticking open (presumably) periodically over the last week, which really sucked when it was -30°C. It's warmer out now, but I am a bit concerned it will eventually stick closed which will cost me a 200km tow bill to the shop.

C'mon, this isn't sending a shuttle to orbit. It's a damn thermostat with some sensors. No reason for this at all! There are some available in the U.S. but they won't transfer them to dealers here. I tried to just call a dealer and buy one and have it shipped and they won't even do that!

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
...I tried to just call a dealer and buy one and have it shipped and they won't even do that!

See if one of the members here on the forum is near one of the U.S. dealers that has one. I'm sure one of us could help you out with this by purchasing it and sending it your way.

Post the Dealer(s) that has one. I'm sure one of us is close to them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WaterBoy1

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got an update today that the part ETA has been now pushed out until April 26th. There is not a single one available in Canada. Mine has been sticking open (presumably) periodically over the last week, which really sucked when it was -30°C. It's warmer out now, but I am a bit concerned it will eventually stick closed which will cost me a 200km tow bill to the shop.

C'mon, this isn't sending a shuttle to orbit. It's a damn thermostat with some sensors. No reason for this at all! There are some available in the U.S. but they won't transfer them to dealers here. I tried to just call a dealer and buy one and have it shipped and they won't even do that!

April 26th? Holy crap. I'm at 7 weeks now. Still below freezing here so I don't think I'll be driving mine just yet.

It seems to me they could change manufacturers etc in less time. I mean if some are available in the US doesn't that mean they are out there?

Biggg Doggg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow. What a PITA! I was talking to a guy who seemed pretty convinced that he could switch a water pump from a 5.7 thus converting to a conventional thermostat and housing setup. Not sure if that is even possible. Has anyone else ever looked into it? I haven't heard back from him as to whether he attempted it or not...