ABS, TRACTION, BRAKES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flipbel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey new guy here, I replaced all 4 brake, rotors, and sensors because my three lights were on. What happens now is that when I start the truck for the first time every day the lights come on. As soon as I pull out of my driveway I stop turn the truck off and back on the three light go off and everything is fine. Or if i cycle the key on and off 2 or 3 times I get the same effect. My question is does the abs module need to relearn the 4 sensors? Will this be that i have to drive my vehicle 50 to 100 miles?
2015 Ram 1500 v8 with 52000 miles.

Thanks
Flipper

Last edited:

RedPhase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5. 7
I had my rear brakes, speed sensors, emergency brake cable replaced this spring. ABS light went out for a few days. I was at a local store and the pavement was wet. The rear tires spun and the ABS/Tractional Control lights are still on. I even unplugged the battery when I was doing body work and after a month, the lights came back on today. Front bearings were replaced last December along with some other front-end parts. It goes to a local shop tomorrow for state inspection and maybe more work. It is weird but then again, this is my first RAM. My truck is a 2012 2500.

OP
OP
F

flipbel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am not understanding why when i cycle my ignition two or three times everything goes back to normal. Cruise works all lights are out. All is normal until the next day.
Keep us posted with your truck.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to do at least basic diagnostics starting with seeing what the specific codes are in the vehicle. There are dozens of different codes that can cause the warning lights in the cluster to come on and that is just trouble-shooting 101. Don't take this the wrong way but just throwing random parts at the truck is not what I recommend and usually costs more money in the the long run versus taking it to a good shop....though I admit finding at least a reasonably good shop may take a little effort. The actual brake pads and rotors are rarely ever the reason why those lights would come on, and if they did there is usually something blatantly wrong with them that can be seen by just looking. The wheel speed sensors can cause the lights, but it would be extremely rare that all of them went bad at the same time and the specific codes would tell you which specific sensor was possibly bad.

OP
OP
F

flipbel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree with you 100%. No offense taken. I Keep my vehicle for a long time and I usually change brakes and rotors at 50,000 miles, so I was going the change all four rotors and brakes regardless. I was going to wait till December to do the job (south Texas is Hot) but the lights came up so I decided to change the sensors since the rotors in front were coming off anyway.
But yes you cant just throw parts on a vehicle and see if you hit the mark.

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
I have these three lights as well. Haven’t had it to the shop yet, but oil change is coming up soon. I’m scared what they will try to sell me to fix the problem.

I just hate that the cruise control won’t work now.

rodnocker1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002/2007
Engine
4.7/6.7
I have these three lights as well. Haven’t had it to the shop yet, but oil change is coming up soon. I’m scared what they will try to sell me to fix the problem.

I just hate that the cruise control won’t work now.
My 2018 2500 4wd has 18,000 miles on it and it shows "service abs/service traction control" on and off, kinda whenever it feels like it. The other day I drove it somewhere: no lights and cruise worked perfectly. When I went to come home, those lights would come on, then go off....come on/go off (you get the picture) It's nothing constant. And like you say, I couldn't care less about the abs system/Traction Control not working, the real pain is that the cruise won't work, LOL! A Friend of Mine who owns a shop and has been a Professional Mechanic for a long time told me to bring it to him and he'd put a code reader on it to see which wheel sensor was acting up. He tried both an old AND a new code reader....they both said the same thing "access to system is blocked from the Factory" (or something along those lines), neither would give the code. And the vehicle is absolutely stock, other than some aluminum Rims and Tires that I had from my 2007.5 Megacab.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP, if you haven't done it yet, or don't have a scan tool, swing by a part's store and ask them to hook your truck up to their scanner to read the ABS and brake codes. That would be a great first step.

Also, if their scanner can read real-time readings (presumably it can). Navigate via the scanner to read the wheel sensors, & make a short loop in the parking lot and watch the sensors' readings. If there's a bad one you should see it. And it could be the wiring too. Also engage your brake pedal (in park) about 20 times and watch the scanner to make sure the brake switch engages as it should each time. They can go flaky too.

Also, does your brake pedal 'feel' fine? Or spongy after the brake work? The brake fluid level is 'good'? You could also try disconnecting the battery for a half hour and see if they come back. Make sure your battery connections & grounds are good. Wiggle the big connector on the ABS valve body to ensure connections are good. And not a bad idea to wiggle fuses associated with the ABS.

Those are some good first-steps ...to look into. Let us know what you find... good luck!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A Friend of Mine who owns a shop and has been a Professional Mechanic for a long time told me to bring it to him and he'd put a code reader on it to see which wheel sensor was acting up. He tried both an old AND a new code reader....they both said the same thing "access to system is blocked from the Factory" (or something along those lines), neither would give the code.

Starting in 2018 for Rams & Chrysler they added security protection for vehicle computer access, for many things incl clearing codes. Why? There was a famous (at the time) video of a group of guys who illustrated via the video, how they could (and did) hack into a Jeep Grand Cherokee and basically take over many of the systems, lock people in, etc. This was a "controlled" hacking that was all over the news at the time (still on Y/T). It woke up the mfgrs. So to protect your vehicle so an internet hacker doesn't steer you into a berm ....for diagnostics purposes it creates extra work starting in M/Y 2018. A tech needs a device/s with SGW Secure Gateway Access. Different scan tool companies have various strategies. There's plenty of Y/T videos on the subject. But your buddy needs some hardware or software upgrades depending on the tool he has.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure if this relates, but my PW will randomly display a message to service stability control. Usually while off-road. It always goes away at the next start.

My prior 2019 did the same.

I think FCA has some glitches in their stability and traction control programming.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pretty sure you need the security access started with the 2018 model year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock