Absolutely confused on headlight bulb selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dudes. My head is about to explode. Originally I wanted Halos with projectors without going crazy on the money. Ordered some spyders. After reading more into it, it seems like they suck. I dont want to have to throw a conversion kit or anything into them. Seems like a GOOD quality projector light with a halo is just not a thing unless you go Morimoto.

So then I figure I'll just upgrade the bulbs for now in my stock (17 express with standard reflectors) maybe with LED'S. Apparently you can't do that because you'll blind everyone.

At this point I just want brighter whiter light as I do a lot of super dark night driving this time of year.

Are guys just putting LED's in stock reflector lights or am I missing something? My heads about to explode.

OP
OP
Throwin Plugs

Throwin Plugs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LEDs properly clocked and aimed are an improvement in reflectors, real world experience & not internet 'facts'.
I like Fahrens, they're bright, CANBUS safe & adjustable.

I was looking at Fahren but wasn't sure about the reflector thing

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
There are a lot of topics here about everything headlight related. Yes, the Ram quad halogen headlights have a lot to be desired. LED light bulbs advertise a lot of info as far as lumen ratings and lux rating....from what I've gleaned from all of it, where the LED chips are positioned to mimic the halogen bulbs filament is important to get a hot spot and beam pattern the same as OEM, but brighter and more light out front. Positioning the LEDs correctly is where a lot of people fail to get the desired light output or they buy cheap LEDs that don't work well.

A higher wattage halogen bulb improved the light output of my wife's Trax when she had it (same H11/9005 bulbs).

I went the route of retrofitting D2S HID projectors into the low beam position and a set of LED projectors into the high beam position. Light output was awesome. It took awhile to do it, but it was worth it to me.

A good set of LED bulbs are going to cost you some coin. I haven't seen any Vehicle & Traffic laws prohibiting the use of LED's in NYS. The only thing you would have to take into consideration if the light pattern produced is the same as the halogen bulbs and it is not considered "dazzling" light. (subjective term).

Headlight Revolution has a lot of videos showing the different bulbs they recommend that produce beam patterns that mimic OEM and are brighter.

HR Tested: 381% Brighter Lights For The 09-18 RAM 1500 with Reflector Headlights - YouTube

The Truth about LED bulbs - Don't Buy LED Bulbs Before Watching This! - YouTube

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Check the vendor underground lighting.

Lakazy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar VVT V6
LEDs properly clocked and aimed are an improvement in reflectors, real world experience & not internet 'facts'.
I had no issues with my fahrens until we started seeing below 0 weather. They started to get a slight flicker and it was getting worse as the temps dropped.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Timely post. Having lived with a second gen (1998.5) 2500 and it's 25 candlepower headlights for the last 22 years, this fourth gen (2014), with it's quad headlights really is an improvement. I found the lights on the 2014 were aimed very poorly from the factory and proper adjustment made the lighting even better. The fog lights leave so much to be desired, but the headlights are good, once aimed properly.
If they can be made to be even better, I'm all ears!

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LED is all that I run. I clocked mine and they are so much brighter. I have every bulb in my ram LED. I am starting the process in My Charger as well. I did the interior lights on Saturday.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 7.28.21 AM.png

Matt Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
NJMopar is not the only one I've seen on here who have said they installed Fahren LED's in stock reflector housings with good results. I chose Hikari Ultra LED's because I wanted a lower temperature color number. The Hikari's did not work in my stock quad housings, they threw light everywhere, and blinded everybody (I'm pretty sure I blinded a guy that was following me, lol...) So, I've got a new set of Alpharex projector housings that arrived this week and HIkari Ultra LED's waiting on me to install them.

If you're looking for the best chance of a significant improvement in your ultimate visibility without spending a ton of money on upgrades, NJMopar is probably right about the Fahren's being the best bang for the buck available. Easy and inexpensive.

Whatever you do, let us know your outcome. Good luck.

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
You could also swap from h11 halogen to h9 halogen. H11s are around 1250 lumens at 55w versus H9 at 2100 lumens at 65w. The H9 bulb life will be shorter, and you’ll need a minor modification to the tabs, google it, it’s simple.

I had H9 in for over two years in my 2016 2500 though, still worked when I traded the truck in on my 2018. Huge improvement for $15....

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

NJ, where did you get the ferhen lights ? Do you have Quad headlights and do you know if they will work on a 16 ? Thanks.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have Diode Dynamics SL1s in the lows/fogs and GTR CSP Minis in the highs. I'm very happy with the light output and fitment. Plus the SL1s are made in the USA.

Hammer22801

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dudes. My head is about to explode. Originally I wanted Halos with projectors without going crazy on the money. Ordered some spyders. After reading more into it, it seems like they suck. I dont want to have to throw a conversion kit or anything into them. Seems like a GOOD quality projector light with a halo is just not a thing unless you go Morimoto.

So then I figure I'll just upgrade the bulbs for now in my stock (17 express with standard reflectors) maybe with LED'S. Apparently you can't do that because you'll blind everyone.

At this point I just want brighter whiter light as I do a lot of super dark night driving this time of year.

Are guys just putting LED's in stock reflector lights or am I missing something? My heads about to explode.

I updated my 2019 reflectors with LED highs and lows. Never been flashed once and they are plug and play. Only thing I did was click them at 9-3.
I got the Fahren’s off Amazon. All total less than $100

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The only legal LED headlamp bulbs are the complete LED headlamp assembly. There are no replacement LEDs for a headlamp, whether a halogen reflector-based, projector-based assembly, or an HID reflector-based or projector-based assembly, into a legal, effective, or safe headlamp (DOT / FMVSS108).

Better off replacing with a halogen hi perf bulb, but trade off is reduced bulb life. Or buy LED headlamp assy. Yes, people still put LED bulbs in halogen assemblies. IIRC, GTR has LEDs that is designed to replace a halogen and project the correct beam pattern. However, GTR does say their headlamp LED bulbs are for off road use only.

As the saying goes, do what your career can handle.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Headlight Revolution in my 2011 single bulbs, Supernova V4 and they are killer.

Clock and adjusted right they don't blind anybody.

Their customer service is top notch