AC Compressor shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something tells me that the AC compressor should not look like this...

Zb4ZOB-Kxsgp4hbdePA8YZz0YrU0Voe1FS6BkoiaXjvM=w2400.jpg

Was driving the other day and the AC stopped blowing cold air. At first I thought it was low on refrigerant cause it cooled down again when I get on the highway and had some good airflow to the engine bay. But later it stopped blowing cold altogether. Finally got time to open the hood and I see this. POOP!

Andrew Wright

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is doing the exact same thing and looks exactly the same. Found out that they take the new type of freon that costs a lot more so I cant even check the charge on the system without paying a lot. But the service guy at the dealership told me that if the bigger return line is running hot then the compressor is probably shot. Also he said that the ac wouldn't even turn in if the system wasnt charged so the fact that it turns on shows that the system is charged.

OP
OP
Gordinho80

Gordinho80

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New compressor installed and AC is cold and steady again. Had a shop around the corner drain the system before I took compressor out. He filled it back up for me once I put the new part in.