AC temperature at vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joe king

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 4 door with Ram boxes
Engine
hemi
Any of you have sunroofs? That could be one reason the cabin is not getting cold enough? How about window tint to help with keeping it cooler?

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Right now, the rule governing refrigerant sales is not to the enforcement point.... like the seatbelt law was passed in 1984, and wasn't prosecuted (enforced) until after January 1st, 1985. Come 2021, refrigerant will no longer be available to the unlicensed, and disposal of used/contaminated refrigerant will be tightly controlled. The new law is called "Section 609" of the EPA clean air act. This was info I got from MACS.
Maybe I'm missing something in your comment but anyone can buy refrigerant from an autoparts store.I live in Florida and they sell it everywhere

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Here in AZ @ 117 degrees it takes 10-15 minutes to get comfy if left in the sun. 2017 2500 has 134A, widely available for 5 bucks, have multiple cans, and set of gauges. I wasn't aware that you will need a license in the future, better stock up, 3 vehicles with 134A. I still have a couple cans of R22, and a big jug for the house ac. By the govt controlling the recycling, that will contribute to some just venting it themselves. Seems to be a problem with antifreeze also not many places here will take it. All sort's of unintended consequences by govt. stupidity.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Right now, the rule governing refrigerant sales is not to the enforcement point.... like the seatbelt law was passed in 1984, and wasn't prosecuted (enforced) until after January 1st, 1985. Come 2021, refrigerant will no longer be available to the unlicensed, and disposal of used/contaminated refrigerant will be tightly controlled. The new law is called "Section 609" of the EPA clean air act. This was info I got from MACS.

in the commercial refrigeration trade one must have a certification to buy from the wholesalers but from what I see, anyone can buy the small cans from an auto parts store. I remember in the early 90's these regs taking effect, was a pain in the ass then and still now. why I finally retired after 38 years in the trade, miss the good old days when did not have to carry recovery equipment and tanks.
as far as the OP if you are getting 50 deg air that sounds pretty good. for a commercial system 50 to 60 deg discharge air is pretty normal. run too cold will ice up the evap, even on warm days.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
in the commercial refrigeration trade one must have a certification to buy from the wholesalers but from what I see, anyone can buy the small cans from an auto parts store. I remember in the early 90's these regs taking effect, was a pain in the ass then and still now. why I finally retired after 38 years in the trade, miss the good old days when did not have to carry recovery equipment and tanks.
as far as the OP if you are getting 50 deg air that sounds pretty good. for a commercial system 50 to 60 deg discharge air is pretty normal. run too cold will ice up the evap, even on warm days.

Seems a bit warm to he!

Last edited:

Anonymous007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The new 1234yf is flammable. Controls will likely come true this time! Here in sub tropical Houston, Texas, 50 degree vent outlet temps aren't adequate for a 100 degree day with 90% humidity in an automobile.

I don't make the rules, but I have to stay abreast of them. A few folks here on this forum are quick to google things and holler how wrong one seems. Anybody can break the laws when there is no enforcement. Watch the current news and.... well you know.

MACS has gone to great lengths to get us peons out here in repairland up to date on what's coming in 2021. I DO use a recovery machine which purges air, filters refrigerant (134a), and allows me to introduce oil into the system and recharge to within .2 ounces accuracy. New machine sales coming up REQUIRE registration with the EPA according to MACS. Recovered refrigerant that is to be disposed of will be closely monitored by said EPA with the same paper work needed as hazardous waste like used coolant and oil.

I've respected the Ozone layer thing.... and global warming. I don't swallow all of it, but there are some folks out there who violate prolifically. I knew one shop owner who trimmed his fenceline weeds with used antifreeze. He pissed off one of his neighbors who called the EPA on him. The fines, his hubriscious attitude towards the EPA investigators, and the punitive charges against him put him out of business. A weedeater and a little time per week trimming sure seems like a bargain considering what happened to him.

Nobody said you were wrong. You said it was illegal and needed a license to buy it and i showed you how you can easily buy it from amazon. Could it be illegal and need a license in the future? Maybe, possibly yes. As of right now any ody can buy 1234yf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Outlet temp of 50f is about as good as it will get especially in the summer. Work on these trucks all day long and the average outlet temps are right around 50F.

If it feels to hot in the cabin. Try window tint, or a windshield shade. Both will help lower the temps in the cabin when it bakes in the sun all day. Also if you have a sunroof make sure the shade is closed.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You said it was illegal and needed a license to buy it and i showed you how you can easily buy it from amazon. Could it be illegal and need a license in the future? Maybe, possibly yes. As of right now anybody can buy 1234yf
Technically your both right depending on what your buying.
Quoted from the EPA:
Small cans of non-exempt MVAC refrigerant (i.e., containers designed to hold two pounds or less of refrigerant) that have unique fittings, and self-sealing valves can continue to be sold to persons without certification for DIY use on their vehicles.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
Not calling BS but according to these sites, not sure you are completely correct.

Not trying to stir the pot, I was just legitimately curious now and started reading on the EPA website.

https://www.epa.gov/section608/refrigerant-sales-restriction

Note the updated date on this one:

https://www.epa.gov/mvac/refrigerant-transition-environmental-impacts

Again, this caught my eye and I was just interested, don't flame me for it please!
I read that we will be able to use and buy 134a
"HFC-134a will no longer be approved for use in new light-duty vehicles manufactured or sold in the United States as of model year 2021 as a result of EPA’s July 2015 final rule under SNAP (July 20, 2015, 80 FR 42870).".
So for us 134a users:
  • Servicing of existing vehicles using HFC-134a with HFC-134a will not be impacted and will continue to be allowed

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
myself, I would not be afraid to use 134A to replace 1234YF as the evap temps in the range it would be running are similar, not sure if the evap on these trucks has a TXV or just a restrictor but if has a txv one may be able to adjust the superheat when changing refrigerants.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The new 1234yf is flammable. Controls will likely come true this time! Here in sub tropical Houston, Texas, 50 degree vent outlet temps aren't adequate for a 100 degree day with 90% humidity in an automobile.

I don't make the rules, but I have to stay abreast of them. A few folks here on this forum are quick to google things and holler how wrong one seems. Anybody can break the laws when there is no enforcement. Watch the current news and.... well you know.

MACS has gone to great lengths to get us peons out here in repairland up to date on what's coming in 2021. I DO use a recovery machine which purges air, filters refrigerant (134a), and allows me to introduce oil into the system and recharge to within .2 ounces accuracy. New machine sales coming up REQUIRE registration with the EPA according to MACS. Recovered refrigerant that is to be disposed of will be closely monitored by said EPA with the same paper work needed as hazardous waste like used coolant and oil.

I've respected the Ozone layer thing.... and global warming. I don't swallow all of it, but there are some folks out there who violate prolifically. I knew one shop owner who trimmed his fenceline weeds with used antifreeze. He pissed off one of his neighbors who called the EPA on him. The fines, his hubriscious attitude towards the EPA investigators, and the punitive charges against him put him out of business. A weedeater and a little time per week trimming sure seems like a bargain considering what happened to him.

true in the higher temps and humidity the system in the truck is most likely undersized for those conditions.

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. What should the ac temperature blowing out of the vents be? Mine blows out at about 50.1 degrees. and that's on Max AC. Dealer said this is normal but inside the cabin never gets cold. Especially around the head area. Any thoughts?

I haven’t checked the actual vent temp in my 2020, but will do that and post what I see.

That being said- in mine, after I’ve been driving a bit, it gets the cabin temp down to a comfortable 73 degrees fairly easily with 90+ degree temperatures outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batt4Christ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You can actually buy it without a license, its fairly expensive but nothing crazy

e6fa370d09c96eb4a36cbee0551f38ce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$156 for two cans and a $3 hose? That’s pretty expensive. Especially when you compare that to the next item down, the 134a.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The temperature at the vents will fluctuate, starting higher and then cooling down to the minimum possible temperature based on many variables such as pressure of refrigerant, recirculation versus drawing in outside air, number of persons in vehicle, starting temperature and time run, external temperature, etc. Adding refrigerant without testing the system first is not advisable for reasons such as a leak may be present, and adding it could continue the release into the atmosphere and lead to early breakdown of the compressor since the refrigerant also contains the lubrication for the system. If you are drawing air and moisture from outside into your system, we will probably be reading about how your compressor broke down way to early and that today's systems are junk.

For OP here, make sure vents are pointed up since cold air falls, limit open doors and windows, keep lower panel of sunroof closed if you have one, and maybe tinting of windows. Good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
myself, I would not be afraid to use 134A to replace 1234YF as the evap temps in the range it would be running are similar, not sure if the evap on these trucks has a TXV or just a restrictor but if has a txv one may be able to adjust the superheat when changing refrigerants.
It's a TXV/AXV that built into a block that's bolted to the inlet connections of the evap coil.
The oil in the system is compatible with 134a, getting the charge correct shouldn't be too bad if you have refrigeration knowledge (notice I didn't say air conditioning). :-D

gbsharrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5..7 Hemi
The problem is that hot coolant from the water pump is constantly being circulated through climate control system, even when max AC is on. Bad design. Computer is supposed to control the amount of heated air being blended into the output, but it does not work properly. FCA refuses to acknowledge or fix. Problem is common across the RAM and JEEP models. Quick, cheap and easy fix is to restrict the flow of hot coolant into the climate control system. Place a fluid line clamp on the coolant line at the water pump and clamp off about 90% of the flow. I did it 6 weeks ago on my 2019 1500 and it works wonderfully. I now have 40 degree output air which is great here in south Florida.