AC temperature at vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mitch1204

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins Diesel
47-50° is normal. If you want better cooling performance try tinting your windows.

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. What should the ac temperature blowing out of the vents be? Mine blows out at about 50.1 degrees. and that's on Max AC. Dealer said this is normal but inside the cabin never gets cold. Especially around the head area. Any thoughts?

tom martley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn. What should the ac temperature blowing out of the vents be? Mine blows out at about 50.1 degrees. and that's on Max AC. Dealer said this is normal but inside the cabin never gets cold. Especially around the head area. Any thoughts?

I have a 2019 limited 1500 that does not get very cool on warm days. I took into dealer and they told me it had low fill from factory and recharged the system. I am not happy with it, still not very cool. It just another poor design by Ram they will never admit to. Just like the air suspension on my 2014 Limited, it went flat 3 times, dealer refilled and told me there was not a problem because their computer told them there was no problem. Even though the gas leaked out 3 times there was no problem???

Corey Adams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2019 Big Horn and now a 2020 Laramie. The same issue with both trucks. Don’t get me wrong, I love Ram trucks but I think their HVAC systems suck in general. Seems like it needs to be more robust. My wife has a new Lincoln Nautilus and that ac will freeze you out. Totally different then what Ram calls normal!

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
AC does two things and it always does them in this order, removes humidity and lowers air temp. If your humidity is high enough then it won’t lower the air temp as much. However since dry air is still more comfortable than a steam bath depending on your ambient conditions it may be working as well as it can.

Gone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try this for a day disconnect the two heater hoses from water pump connect a hose make a loop back to water pump .. thank me later lol.

My ac is ice cold i love this simple fix...
FB03312A-D293-43F9-BB33-A61E9AFCCFB0.jpeg

Flryder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2012 has A/C so cold I usually run it at the first fan speed after the initial cool down from sitting in the sun. I live on the West central coast of FL and we have high humidity. My truck is white and that does help.

Vic Rios

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Vic Rios

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is unlikely your A/C compressor is the culprit. When a compressor wears out you will see the high and low pressure start to balance out. Hi pressure should be between 150-225 psi and the low side 35-55 depending on ambient temperature. Make sure their is significant air flow. Check. Cabin filter if you have one. Evaporator coil is clean. A leak is certainly possible, pressures will tell you. A vacuum leak can cause doors to air box under dash to not open or close completely allowing heat to enter air flow system. Try also recirculating cabin air, assuming cabin is cooler than out side .

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AC does two things and it always does them in this order, removes humidity and lowers air temp. If your humidity is high enough then it won’t lower the air temp as much. However since dry air is still more comfortable than a steam bath depending on your ambient conditions it may be working as well as it can.

That humidity is something!

Last edited:

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
A/C follows the law of thermal entropy.... in that it absorbs the heat from the cabin and sends it out to the condenser where a fan puts that heat back into the atmosphere. THAT simple. It removes humidity incidentally as a function of condensation properties of water on a cold surface, which drains away.

Course I’m working on equipment, but I have more than one manual that basically says if the humidity is high enough the air won’t be as cool. Course add in the fact the one tractor has 903CI of Cummins blowing hot air at the cab, then the cab sits on a 18 speed transmission that has 15 gallons of hot oil in it and the hydraulic reservoir holds 26 gallons and that’s also under the cab so there is external heat sources to deal with that the normal pickup won’t see.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...22498?q=mechanical+heater+control+valve&pos=1

I remember that in some of the older cars (1950's models?), there would be a knob on the dash with a cable connected to a valve under the hood which was plumbed into the heater hose. Pull the knob or push it to close the valve and stop the heat. Crude but effective way to manage the temperature. Later versions had a Freon bulb to help manage the same (like in '64 Ford Fairlanes).
I also recall from an A/C class I took in school, that 40F was a proper outlet temp at the dash---now that's R-12 systems I'm referring to.
So I'm not impressed with my truck's cooling either. Reading in here that the heater hoses continually move hot water into the core even when the A/C is running is news I didn't expect. So my test will be with one of the plastic hose pinchers sold by Harbor Freight that I use to save coolant when I cut hoses and see what temporarily cutting off that water flow does. Thanks to all for this info.
NOTE: I'm not pushing any particular valve or parts house, was just checking for myself and others that the mechanical valves are actually still available---and like one prior poster said, be sure you don't neck it down with a small valve or in winter you may be sorry. I do NOT know what size the referenced valve from O'Reilly's above is. Let the experiment begin!

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Course I’m working on equipment, but I have more than one manual that basically says if the humidity is high enough the air won’t be as cool. Course add in the fact the one tractor has 903CI of Cummins blowing hot air at the cab, then the cab sits on a 18 speed transmission that has 15 gallons of hot oil in it and the hydraulic reservoir holds 26 gallons and that’s also under the cab so there is external heat sources to deal with that the normal pickup won’t see.

That’s not exactly right either...

The service manual in a roundabout way suggested if the humidity was high enough, enough water could be condensing on the evaporator and actually raising the temperature of the surfaces the air passes over.

mlappin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...22498?q=mechanical+heater+control+valve&pos=1

I remember that in some of the older cars (1950's models?), there would be a knob on the dash with a cable connected to a valve under the hood which was plumbed into the heater hose. Pull the knob or push it to close the valve and stop the heat. Crude but effective way to manage the temperature. Later versions had a Freon bulb to help manage the same (like in '64 Ford Fairlanes).
I also recall from an A/C class I took in school, that 40F was a proper outlet temp at the dash---now that's R-12 systems I'm referring to.
So I'm not impressed with my truck's cooling either. Reading in here that the heater hoses continually move hot water into the core even when the A/C is running is news I didn't expect. So my test will be with one of the plastic hose pinchers sold by Harbor Freight that I use to save coolant when I cut hoses and see what temporarily cutting off that water flow does. Thanks to all for this info.
NOTE: I'm not pushing any particular valve or parts house, was just checking for myself and others that the mechanical valves are actually still available---and like one prior poster said, be sure you don't neck it down with a small valve or in winter you may be sorry. I do NOT know what size the referenced valve from O'Reilly's above is. Let the experiment begin!

Actually some of our newer tractors I’ve added petcocks on the heater hose to shut the flow off to the cab in the summer. It helps some no doubt, but I also figured on the ones it helped they had a leaky valve letting a little coolant flow all the time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they check Subcooling or Superheat? Are both condensor and evaperators clean? Mine discharges 38 to 40 degrees at 65 to 70 degree outside dewpoints. Checking these settings will determine the correct refridgeration gas charge.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
AC does two things and it always does them in this order, removes humidity and lowers air temp. If your humidity is high enough then it won’t lower the air temp as much.
^^^ this

A/C follows the law of thermal entropy.... in that it absorbs the heat from the cabin and sends it out to the condenser where a fan puts that heat back into the atmosphere. THAT simple. It removes humidity incidentally as a function of condensation properties of water on a cold surface, which drains away.
Humidity removal maybe incidental with cooling the air but it takes considerable energy to do so. The higher the dew point of the incoming air, the more BTUs are used to absorb the higher heat content of the air. Just like it takes extra energy(144 BTUs) to change 32°F water into ice.

Stevesfirstram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the same issue until I installed a ball valve to cut the flow of hot water to the heater core. I get 41 degrees now. I have to open the valve for winter driving. The A/C works great if you do this on the 1500. I heard you have to be careful on the 2500 and 3500 not to block the transmission cooling lines. I have not looked into that myself because I have the 1500 Hemi. To check this, put a fuel line clamp on the heater core line temporarily to see how it works.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just like it takes extra energy(144 BTUs) to change 32°F water into ice.[/QUOTE]

Good old BTU's!

Last edited:

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AC output temp will vary with the outside temp and humidity reading, usually 20+ degree difference