Accelerator pedal position sensor. Please Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WV_carpenter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got this 2004 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi about 7 months ago. It has 172,*** miles on it. It has new plugs, wires, and coils, 3 of the 4 oxygen sensors are new, a new fuel pump. In the last month or so it has started having trouble idling and it jerks when trying to pull out from a stop. Sometimes it will stall while idling or trying to pull out. Sometimes I have to put the pedal almost to the floor for it to actually go. The only codes it threw on the advance auto obd2 was oxygen sensor circuit high voltage and multiple cylinder misfire. A friend plugged it up to his obd2 and it also threw a accelerator pedal position sensor code, I dont remember the actual code. It does not have the red lightning bolt lit up on the dash tho. This sensor is mounted under the battery tray in the engine compartment, not on the pedal. On a Saturday morning I checked the throttle body connection, then disconnected the negative battery terminal and unplugged the APPS. Sprayed the connector with wd and cleaned the prongs in the sensor hoping it was just dirty and not getting a good connection. Put dielectric grease in the sensor connector and hooked the battery back up and did the throttle recalibration and it did great until Sunday night. Has anyone else had a problem with the accelerator pedal position sensor? Did the lightning bolt light up on the dash? Did you have to replace the APPS? If so, where did you find it? I cant seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone have any other ideas or can point me in another direction that may be the cause to my problem? Does anyone know if it's possible to get a APPS that's made onto the accelerator pedal and wire it up to my throttle body? I'm desperate and cant afford to leave it at a shop for however long it will take them to fix it. It's my only legal vehicle at the moment and my wife and I both drive it to work and back each day. I have attached a pic of the accelerator pedal position sensor. Please help!

Attachments

• 20211019_183421.jpg
    20211019_183421.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 28

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
I recently read a thread here re:this.Search"apps" The thread is" 03-04 5.7l APPS OBSOLETE".Hope it can help, Good Luck.

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
Take off neg battery cable. Your truck's EGR valve and the throttle body need to be removed and sprayed clean. Replace Parts, Then do the throttle position relearn.
All it costs you is a few hours, ebay research, and one erasol can of brake cleaner. Hold the motor up while straying. The red BOLT on dash is throttle body.

DaveInHutto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check the reference voltage. 5V. the easiest location is at the CPS under the truck, or you can disassemble the intake and measure at the TB. While you're under there follow the wire harness back and inspect the wires for damage.