Acts like Limited Slip but has OPen Differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am trying to understand why, particularly in straight line, my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Express 5.7L Quad cab acts like it has limited slip or locked axles most of the time when taking off in a straight line in 2 or 4 wheel drive, but when pulling softwood /weed trees I get only 1 wheel spin like it should. I know for a fact I am getting 2 wheel spin in straight lines as I had it in 4 wheel drive and did a short burst from a stop in the snow and all 4 tires spun at the same time. I also know if I am rolling at 10 mph and floor it I can hear both tires and will tend to get a small amount of hop in the rear end indicative to LSD/locked rear end? Yet coming off a stand still and making a hard turn I will tend to get 1 wheel in most cases (my have gotten 2 with limited traction conditions ie wet / snowy.

I am just trying to understand how this truck works, particularly with respect to the electronic systems.

As this occurrences have occurred without traction / ESC indicator light on the dash being on. The indicator does come one but it seems to only come on when the speed is over 10 - 15 mph. A lot of times I will have this happen and if I stay on the gas it segways in to traction / ESC indicator lighting up and taking over.

PS, I have checked the window sticker and nearly everything I can find on its build and it states standard differential, i.e. open diff.

PSS I have had little luck finding any direct info. I did see something about abs/brakes being used to manage tire spin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TomB 1269

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had used one similar previously and it list conventional axle, 3.21..........

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Open differentials can spin both wheels provided they have similar traction.
The wheel hop you feel might be brought on by the traction control. I have the LSD and sometimes get funny wheel hopping with the traction control on if I'm on ice/snow. The TC uses the ABS to slow a spinning wheel and force power to the opposite one. TC will kick in faster than you'll see the light on the dash.

OP
OP
TomB 1269

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get this on damp (slightly wet) and dry pavement as well. I was aware that an open diff can spin both when traction is the same or nearly similar to each tire, particularly when shock loaded as our trucks have the power to do. In addition, our trucks suspension does not cause as much a loss of traction under torque load due to axle wrap as a leaf spring rear does, and therefore the passenger rear tire stays planted better than on a leaf spring suspension.

Having come from a Ford F150 FX4 with a limited slip rear and open front diff, this truck just responds and plants the power down so much more efficiently for an open diff. It feels dramatically different in the snow then my Ford did, and it never put 4 tracks of spun snow equal distance on all 4 tires as the Ram does. However it was a 2005 and did not have all the electronics in the drivetrain, i.e. TCS, ESC, etc.

Again, it literally feels more like I'm driving a truck with limited slip or locked axles then it does a truck with open diffs. I have had a several cars, '72 cougar w/351 cleveland, '76 Monte Carlo and '69 Skylark both w/ 350s but always open diffs, so I have driven cars with truly powerful motors. This TRUCK responds nothing like they did.

Is it really the traction system and the application of a small amount of brake that is giving the feel of limited slip?? If so, this system can respond to traction loss or imminent traction loss in 10ths or 100s of second so as to make it feel like a locked / posi rear end? I work in the computer chip manufacturing industry so I know how fast they have gotten, but I just can't seem to wrap my head around this being an ABS / brake action that results in this.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Pretty sure it is the traction control or electronic stability programming causing it with applying braking to the wheel with less traction.

I kinda chuckle to myself about this stuff. Our friends have a newer Durango and the husband asked me one day about why his wife was hearing squealing and chattering when driving it and why he was replacing the brakes more than he thought he should. He said he would drive it and would not hear what his wife described to try figure out what the problem is.

I told him, let her drive while he rides. I also told him that his wife drives the Durango like she stole it. I told him that she flies down the road and she is making hard turns and hard corners causing the TC/ESP to engage.

Not more than a couple of days later, he told me that he could not replicate what his wife described, but when she drove, and he was a passenger, everything he was told about was happening, and occurred when she was driving. He ended up replacing pads and rotors on all four corners and told his wife to knock it off.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open diff can spin both tires provided both tires are equally planted against a surface that can provide enough traction for the diff not go to open. The moment you lift one tire a little more than the other or the surface doesn't offer a lot of resistance for one tire to grab the torque will start being diverted to the tire that sees the least resistance.

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Open diff can spin both tires provided both tires are equally planted against a surface that can provide enough traction for the diff not go to open. The moment you lift one tire a little more than the other or the surface doesn't offer a lot of resistance for one tire to grab the torque will start being diverted to the tire that sees the least resistance.

Both tires buried on open Diff.

Attachments

• IMG_20231118_124939173_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231118_124939173_HDR.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 10

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Open differentials can spin both wheels provided they have similar traction.

yep . alot of people live in a fantasy thinking open diffs are so good on ice but no. both tires spin and you go out of control