Adding bed lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone added bed lights to their ram?

I have a 14 express with no pre drilled holes for the factory bed lights.

I was thinking about adding the light strip stick on under rails wiring into the cargo lamp circuit. Has anyone done this?

Recommend a different kit ? I think it would be easier to go into trailer light constant 12v with a switch in the back but not sure where I would mount switch.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thinking about doing some lights also, I think the way aim going to install the lights is from the power from the trailer hitch under the rear bumper .Perfect location to grab some power ,and then just mount a switch inside just by the tailgate opening. Just started looking for some stripe led lights to mount.

Jendsley06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a matter of personal preference where you get power, etc. I did a kit from Walmart some years ago in my f150. Got power from cigarette lighter and put a switch in a blank under the radio with an indicator LED next to it. I loved it. Accidentally left it on overnight several times with no adverse effects. My son wanted same kit when he bought a used Dakota some time later, but wanted the switch between the tailgate and bed side meet. Got power straight off the battery, put in a fuse and then a lighted rocker switch where he wanted. He loved it. All this to say, again, just a matter of personal preference. Do it how it will do what you need.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
The Search Box at teh top of every page isyoru friend.

WHole heaping helping of threads dealing with this, with pictures and part numbers too.

here is one I have saved in a Truck - Mods-Bed LIghts folder tree.

What I do, I created a folder called Truck, inside that folder I create other folders. One of which is a folder called MODS
inside that folder, I have a bunch of other folders all named after teh mods i want to but have not got around too , yet.
Bed LIghts is on such folder.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/bed_lig..._mount_reverse_light_install_pic_heavy-66687/

WHen ou get it done, come back, create a new thread and show us pictures with part numbers so the next guy to ask this question can find your thread by using the search box.

WHo Knows, I might like your solution the best and put your Bed LIght THread in my Mods folder to copy cat .

Good Luck.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
https://www.yitamotor.com/collectio...truck-bed-led-strip-light-for-chevy-silverado

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-ROCKE...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-4298-Ad...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBWQL18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791B4ZRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Above is everything I used. First I wiped down under the bed rail with alcohol the used the primer pads so the lights would stick good. I mounted the switch in the box then to the drivers side at the rear of the truck where my toneau cover handle is (same area). I dropped wires down and picked up the constant 12v from my trailer hitch wiring up to the switch then out to the lights.

upload_2020-1-3_0-10-27.jpeg

Midnight Storm

One Badass Ram
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YouTube boosted motorsports and go to his ram section. There are close to 100 great videos and one of them covers strip lighting in the bed in great detail.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I was thinking about adding the light strip stick on under rails wiring into the cargo lamp circuit. Has anyone done this?

Recommend a different kit ? I think it would be easier to go into trailer light constant 12v with a switch in the back but not sure where I would mount switch.
I put LED strip lights under the bed rail of my buddies 2500 that has an 8' bed. I wired the power to the trailer 7 pin +12V, his truck has a fish wheel prep but it's the same plug on the bumper. I put a safety switch under the bed rail in a small plastic enclosure mounted with 3M VHB two sided tape that also contains a small fuse.

IMG_20161016_154801759.jpgIMG_20161016_154627986.jpg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
All good information. I did the same as crash. I also highly recommend that Tel gates which so when you open the tailgate it automatically turns on
Nickel Plated Pin Switch w/Polycarb Plunger and Rubber Boot
Again plenty of YouTube videos to show how to install. Drill a simple hole and cut the plunder down and wire it directly to your tail light. Very simple but makes it a very nice feature to where you don't have to constantly turn them on and off. Also if you are sticking them to the side highly recommend the couple of dollars for the adhesive promoter. Good luck and enjoy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve been wanting to do bed lighting too. This is helpful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
F

fadetoblack188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I would like it to turn on when opening the tail gate. What are you using to do that. Magnet switch?

also I am not sure if I want to wire it to the bed lamp up top then I would need to go to and from the inside of the truck to turn it on and off.

12v from the trailer lights and a button in the bed seems easier more practical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
Nickel Plated Pin Switch w/Polycarb Plunger and Rubber Boot

Just copy and paste that in google and I will link the video for the tailgate switch. Like I said previously all you have to do is cut the plunger down so your tail gate closes 4 way. The video will make it make more sense

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8

Tons of videos. I would recommend watching several but really all you have to do is use at adhesive promoter put your strips on run the lights behind your tail lights down to your wiring harness and then the pin switch will ground behind your tail light on to your truck and you will feed the other wire from the pin switch. One of the best features want yet done and really not that hard to do. Good luck

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey man thanks for all that info save me lots of looking up stuff very cool.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cant have too much bed light...lol

20180203_215732.jpg

20180203_215821.jpg