Adding Remote Keyless Entry (keyfob lock/unlock) DIY w/ ALFA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
Hey Athlium - I have a 2023 Ram 1500 Classic without RKE. I got a security bypass cable, a Zurich ODB2 bluetooth scanner, and tried the free AlfaODB phone app. I got connected easily and could navigate through the options but it did not connect to the body computer very well and when it did it would not write my change to the RKE Present setting. So I bought the $49 AlfaOBD app and tried again. Same thing. Called Zurich, no clue. Called Alfa, no clue. Called NAPA auto parts and as I suspected, some ODB interfaces will read only, and some will read and write. I guess that's why you recommend the OBDLink interface!

I called my Ram dealer to see if they would just do the plug-in thing with their OBD unit for a customer who just bought a new truck and was less than happy with them, they said they would have to install a bunch of gear and charge for labor and programming. $700. I'm not buying it. If you have added RKE easily to a 2021 Ram, it sure should work with my 2023 Classic.

I have heard on this forum other guys have made this fix work with the cheap OBD scanners, so before I order the $139 one, I wanted to check with you. Am I right about this (needing an OBD interface that will both read and write)? Or did something change between the 2021 and 2023 models?

You seen to be the foremost expert in the nation on this subject! Thanks in advance.

Tom
wow.. I still can't believe that they sell a truck without RKE in 2023..

follow Mpgrimm2's directions.. he'll set you straight.

I hope you have been able to work this out.

Guitar Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I keep spending more and more money and getting more and more nowhere --

I bought the AlfaOBD MX+ AND the AlfaOBD software and can now get to the settings you recommend. Only when I get to the setting for "Select RF-HUB Reset/Replace - Enter you PIN" my 4-digit pin does not work. The app offers to retrieve the RF-HUB PIN, but then reports it wants a "rolling code 5-digit PIN" which is not supported by AlfaOBD. The only workaround I found on the web is to buy an $800 Autel IM508 programmer.

BTW, my dealership has never heard of a rolling code 5-digit PIN!

I have a support ticket in to AlfaOBD, but it doesn't look good. I may go to a locksmith, but that will not be cheap . . .

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
IIRC if you are replacing your current RF Hub with a new one. The Pin for the new hub may need to be entered as 0000. As you are using a new hub unit. Your old pin should still be used to program fobs for your vehicle. When I replaced my RF Hub from key to push to start that is how I swapped the old for the new hub to make it work.

OP
OP
Athlium

Athlium

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I keep spending more and more money and getting more and more nowhere --

I bought the AlfaOBD MX+ AND the AlfaOBD software and can now get to the settings you recommend. Only when I get to the setting for "Select RF-HUB Reset/Replace - Enter you PIN" my 4-digit pin does not work. The app offers to retrieve the RF-HUB PIN, but then reports it wants a "rolling code 5-digit PIN" which is not supported by AlfaOBD. The only workaround I found on the web is to buy an $800 Autel IM508 programmer.

BTW, my dealership has never heard of a rolling code 5-digit PIN!

I have a support ticket in to AlfaOBD, but it doesn't look good. I may go to a locksmith, but that will not be cheap . . .
do you have the bypass cable??

Alfa doesn't support pulling 5 digit code.. but JScan might..

reading further on other groups.. JScan might not support 1500 models.. just so you know.

also, try calling another dealership or maybe even a decent ACE hardware.. some should be able to program it for less than $70

Last edited: