Adjust Default Volume settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbob48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Hey all,
I have a 2018 1500 with 8.4 uConnect non-Alpine that I upgraded the dash 3.5's to decent Hertz units. There are no amps, just a straight swap of the dash speakers.
Now, I suppose it's because the new speakers have a higher sensitivity, the navigation, call etc volume is waaay too loud. I think it defaults to about 15.
Is there a way to adjust the default volume setting to, say 3?
I understand perfectly well how to adjust the volume in-call or during navigation, but it resets at some point back it's now absurd volume

Any solutions?

Thanks

Bob

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hey all,
I have a 2018 1500 with 8.4 uConnect non-Alpine that I upgraded the dash 3.5's to decent Hertz units. There are no amps, just a straight swap of the dash speakers.
Now, I suppose it's because the new speakers have a higher sensitivity, the navigation, call etc volume is waaay too loud. I think it defaults to about 15.
I understand perfectly well how to adjust the volume in-call or during navigation, but it resets at some point back it's now absurd volume

Any solutions?

Thanks

Bob

If it resets every trip that's a bug. At present the only thing that may fix it is the firmware flash to 22.6. Do you know which firmware you currently have?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all,

Any solutions?

Thanks

Bob

Did the startup volume change ONLY after you swapped the dash speakers?
Are the dash speakers real loud/bright compared to the stocks??
Did you put the resistors in line with the speaker install?? The ohm difference between stock vs aftermarket require a resistor or the dash takes over the sound.
Lots of threads here about this issue

I swapped all door speakwes but not the dash and dont have that issue

OP
OP
B

bigbob48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
The volume SETTING is the same everytime I start the truck (15, which was always on the louder side for my preference) but since upgrading the speakers the commands are much louder at that volume setting. I'm hoping there's a way to change that DEFAULT setting to something lower so that when I receive a call, I'm not scrambling to crank down the volume

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The volume SETTING is the same everytime I start the truck (15, which was always on the louder side for my preference) but since upgrading the speakers the commands are much louder at that volume setting. I'm hoping there's a way to change that DEFAULT setting to something lower so that when I receive a call, I'm not scrambling to crank down the volume

It's a bug. Do you know what firmware you are on?

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
My 2020 3500 Uconnect3 (5" display) has a similar problem that is potentially related. I've heard others complain about my identical symptoms. It is the factory unit with no modifications. Regardless of what source I was using (typically a Droid phone via bluetooth or USB cable), the radio will default to volume 15 on SiriusXM on startup. Plus the screen is always initially disabled with that stupid "Accept" screen. So I'm stuck with 4 or 5 seconds of loud-blaring radio each time I start the truck before the volume knob is responsive. Interestingly, if I restart the radio within a few minutes after shut down, it defaults back to the same source and volume. But if the truck is off overnight, it will reliably go back to Sirius at volume 15. It remembers which Sirius station I was last on, but does not default back to the previous volume or source. BigBob, I don't know how to determine which firmware I have on the radio. I did just have my PCM flashed to the most recent update 524010032AG-AK but that did not resolve this problem. Is there another Uconnect firmware version I can locate?

The local dealer said they could try to update the radio software but that those flash uploads have been taking 5 to 36 hours and that I'd need to make an appointment for an extended service time! (not sure I trust that) Any other advice?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My 2020 3500 Uconnect3 (5" display) has a similar problem that is potentially related. I've heard others complain about my identical symptoms. It is the factory unit with no modifications. Regardless of what source I was using (typically a Droid phone via bluetooth or USB cable), the radio will default to volume 15 on SiriusXM on startup. Plus the screen is always initially disabled with that stupid "Accept" screen. So I'm stuck with 4 or 5 seconds of loud-blaring radio each time I start the truck before the volume knob is responsive. Interestingly, if I restart the radio within a few minutes after shut down, it defaults back to the same source and volume. But if the truck is off overnight, it will reliably go back to Sirius at volume 15. It remembers which Sirius station I was last on, but does not default back to the previous volume or source. BigBob, I don't know how to determine which firmware I have on the radio. I did just have my PCM flashed to the most recent update 524010032AG-AK but that did not resolve this problem. Is there another Uconnect firmware version I can locate?

The local dealer said they could try to update the radio software but that those flash uploads have been taking 5 to 36 hours and that I'd need to make an appointment for an extended service time! (not sure I trust that) Any other advice?

Sorry to hear about that! If you decide to get this addressed by your dealer and would like additional support to make sure you're properly taken care of, please send us a private message so we can investigate your situation further.

We hope you get this figured out quickly!

Courtney
Ram Cares

Wirekat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins

This is exact problem I'm having. I would be listening through BT to my Android and shut the truck off and restart, the source is radio and loud. And I can't turn it down for five seconds.

mcv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins
This is exact problem I'm having. I would be listening through BT to my Android and shut the truck off and restart, the source is radio and loud. And I can't turn it down for five seconds.
Wirekat, I have been to three RAM dealers since I've had the truck. None have been able to fix the stupid problem. If you have any luck, let me know what to try!