AGM battery upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G/T jonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
If I upgrade from SLA to AGM, Is the charging profile able to be adjusted in the 3rdGEN?
I know from research that the two battery types have different charging requirements. The dealer looks at me like I have two heads when I asked this question and I thought I’d post it to you guys.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm guessing this upgrade is not for the '22 you have listed in your profile.
You don't need to change anything when installing an AGM type into a vehicle that originally came with a standard lead-acid type battery.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 4th gen and went from a lead acid H7 to a AGM H8 without issue. You asked about a 3rd gen so I would assume the older vehicles would be even less effected by battery type but we all know what happens when assumptions are made.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve asked the same question. What was explained to me is the agm battery still charges from 13.6-14.2v like a lead acid battery so no need to adjust the alternator settings.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it should be plug n play
BUT, from what I understand about AGM is that they do benefit from an occasional saturation charge to keep them exercised. So in a regular alternator 'boat' they are usually operating fine at 80% \ AGM's charge up to 80% easily and readily.

What I do on my 'boat' is that I run them like a regular FLA (flooded lead acid) and occasionally I connect a battery charger with the AGM charge profile and let it complete the long, slow, moderate voltage 'saturation' charge.

I am just saying what I have been doing for my AGM 'boat' batteries and I have been getting upwards of 10-12 years out of them since I started doing this. In Florida...

Batteries hate heat, and Diehard? there is no such thing as a five year FLA battery. Sears was tricking us into paying for our 'next battery' up front so we always went back.

I hope this helps you.

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have found AGM batteries do not like sitting or sitting w/short trip combinations - mine have only lasted abouit 2 yrs. in that scenario. Same thing happened in my truck and my son's Jeep - went back to normal battery with no issue. OEM battery was still good at 6 yrs, replaced as a preventative measure, AGM lasted 1.5 yrs.

I did bring one back by severely discharging it to about 1 volt and recharging - repeat about 6-8 times. Battery became stronger each cycle.

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did bring one back by severely discharging it to about 1 volt and recharging - repeat about 6-8 times. Battery became stronger each cycle.
I did hear once upon a time where you would discharge a battery dead flat and then charge it backwards (+)-(-) and (-)-(+)... wow,,, then discharge it again with the loose headlight bulb and recharge it correct, supposedly that de sulfated or something ** that was a FLA battery not an AGM

I find the AGM will loose very little in the way of charge due to low internal resistance. BUT they have to be disconnected and static/\

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the problem I/my son have is sitting and very short trips (in his case).
His Jeep only puts out mid 13's volts and it just isn't enough to keep the battery happy.
My truck is usually sitting (with a tender on it all winter) or on the highway - with the AGM is was more sitting - and again with just a float charge.
I think they need more of a discharge/charge cycle to keep them happy.

I may have been able to bring the second one back but it was under warranty and I managed to get it replaced.

That one would drop to 10 volts, charge it and it would show fully charged and have good voltage in less than 5 minutes. Took 3 times for it to get replaced as the new battery testers don't really put a load on the battery and it would test good.
The last time, I charged it, drove it there, they tested, it tested good. Made them stand there for 5-7 minutes with the lights on and boom it dropped to 10 volts and finally tested a bad cell. Mind you this was the big eco diesel battery size with almost a 1000 CCA and I forget how many minutes reserve - no way lights on for a few minutes would kill a good battery.

If you take a battery to 0 and reverse polarity, you can actually get it to charge the opposite - so now + is negative and the negative terminal is now positive. I tried to get it close to zero using an efan and then charge up. Each time it would run the fan longer before getting close to zero.

That battery is now in the boat, since one of those batteries is shot.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I've had an AGM in my 2015 for several years now. No issues. It can sit for extended periods in the winter. I just put a charger on it then.

zrock

Reaction score
Your thinking of a lippo battery that needs a different charging but usually they have the required components in them to convert over... AGM battery's require nothing different than the standard battery in your veh and can handle abuse better than a standard battery.

Just like anything it all depends on the quality of your battery... The battery's i sell have less than a 1% failure rate and i probably sell a few hundred a year easily.. I could go to my local canadian tire and get a battery and it will be lucky to last a year, go to my local walmart and i get 10 years out of thier battery and that battery is made by the same manufacturer i sell just different label.

OP
OP
G/T jonny

G/T jonny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Thanks everyone for the AGM discussion. Original question was CAN the charging profile be altered in the 3rd gen (2003- the lost year) programming options. I just don’t know (and apparently neither does the dodge dealer) if that’s something that can be changed.
FYI- If you charge an AGM at flooded voltage (14.5v) it will gas and eventually fail. (AGM prefers 13.7v)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
FYI- If you charge an AGM at flooded voltage (14.5v) it will gas and eventually fail. (AGM prefers 13.7v)
The EcoDiesel comes standard with an AGM battery (factory spec 800CCA) and the charge voltage goes upwards of 14.7V when the temperature is in the single digits. There's no outstanding reported early failures of the batteries in these trucks. Usually the owner replaces the battery around the 6-7 year mark as to be able to change on their own terms and not stuck out on the road somewhere.

JD Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 2016, 2016
Engine
6.7, 6.4, 6.7, 5.9 in a F750
I have found AGM batteries do not like sitting or sitting w/short trip combinations - mine have only lasted abouit 2 yrs. in that scenario. Same thing happened in my truck and my son's Jeep - went back to normal battery with no issue. OEM battery was still good at 6 yrs, replaced as a preventative measure, AGM lasted 1.5 yrs.

What brand battree?

I'm on my second set of Odyssey's in my '14. Lots of short trips.

I have AGM's in all of my trucks (gas, diesel, all brands) and tractors, loaders that are mostly used in the winter. They sit for long periods without being run.

Put one in my wife's Jeep a month or so ago. She has a ton of short trips with no problems.

joeb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I had the OEM dual SLA starter batteries in my 2012 (the one in my profile photo) for 8 years/90,000+ miles. I switched to Duralast Platinum (H7-AGM) 80 Ah. They charge correctly with no adjustments made to the electrical system. Resting voltage is 12.8 and charging voltage is 14.4.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
This thread prompted me to look at the AGM(East Penn) in our Acura. It gets tons of short trips, and that battery is nearly 5 years old.

Mardye

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2017 RAM 1500 with the HEMI came factory with an AGM and a 10 year warranty from Dodge.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What brand battree?

I'm on my second set of Odyssey's in my '14. Lots of short trips.

I have AGM's in all of my trucks (gas, diesel, all brands) and tractors, loaders that are mostly used in the winter. They sit for long periods without being run.

Put one in my wife's Jeep a month or so ago. She has a ton of short trips with no problems.
NAPA premium battery was one and the other was from Advance.
The AGM in my wife's car has been fine for several years now.

The one from Advance is currently in my boat and is working well on it.

I think that battery's issue (the one from Advance that was in my son's Jeep) is that the Jeep sat, plus just a few short trips (since he worked from home) PLUS the charging voltage is just over 13.2-13.8 volts. I think the charging voltage is just too low on his old jeep WJ.

The NAPA one that was on my truck - maybe just a bad battery, maybe it just didn't like several months on being on the battery tender JR. Possible the Tender Jr. just doesn't give a high enough float charge.
I suspect from the way the battery was acting that it too would have mostly come back with several severe discharge/charge cycles. But it may have just had one bad cell.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This thread prompted me to look at the AGM(East Penn) in our Acura. It gets tons of short trips, and that battery is nearly 5 years old.
tons of short trips is fine - it exercises the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357