Air intake Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what intake system is the better of the two , K&N or AEM with Dry Filter ??

Mopar_Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Neither, both systems dont do much to shield the intake or tube from heat from the motor and do not have a fresh air supply for the filter. Most people around here will tell you to go with S&B or Vararam. They are much better units that direct air into the filter and keep as much heat away from it as possible. Search around to see what you like. S&B is more of a factory look and the Vararam is a cool retro looking ram air type set up. Both of them can be had for the same kind of money as a K&N or AEM and either will perform much better.

RamHemi5.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 8 Speed
Since this topic is of CAI's, there has been some discussion about the LMI short ram being better than the S&B..

over at the...Z.

OP
OP
N

Nanuk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys , I'm about to order plugs and catch can from Moe's , I'll wait on intake until I get better familiarized . Truck has 34k time to start maintaining

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
I ran my fastest times with the LMI intake. The carbon fiber doesn't hold any heat Whatsoever. On a cool night the intake is cool to the touch.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So what intake system is the better of the two , K&N or AEM with Dry Filter ??
Like the LMI both of these manufactureres make open intakes.
You get a lot of throttle noise, but no cold air.

Comparision of an LMI to an S&B is absurd because of the heat saturation an open filter lives in. S&B preserves the ability to draw colder air through the right fender and insulate it from the ambient engine compartment temps.

You can get a dry filter for the S&B from Moe's.

Last edited:

LovMyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB Black Edition, 2014 RCSB.
Engine
I can only put my .02 about the S&B as it is what I'm currently running. I will be getting a before and after on a dyno as I'm curios about gains. No complaints here, good fit and finish. I've run k&n In the past, never had problems either.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can only put my .02 about the S&B as it is what I'm currently running. I will be getting a before and after on a dyno as I'm curios about gains. No complaints here, good fit and finish. I've run k&n In the past, never had problems either.
I had a K&N on a 4.7L Durango. The open filter noise was so bad at WOT you couldn't have a conversation or hear your music. Driving in the mountains under load was tooth rattling. So, If your exhaust isn't loud enough and you want intake noise instead of fixing the exhaust, by all means go with an open intake filter design.
However, if you have duals and they give you what you want for exhaust, why not keep the extra intake noise out of the cabin and go with S&B or Vararam?
Once you know what you're listening for you can pick out the sound of an intake noise poser in relation to a true exhaust note. My $0.02.

2013Ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC 1500 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do the S&B and vararam perform the same?

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to be doing the S&B cai. I've had them before on different vehicles and was very pleased.

By my iPhone.

Texas_Cornhusker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
only thing that worries me about vararam is wave into the engine will wheeling

you mean like mudding. never had an issue, it has drains built into it to drain out if **** gets in it. if your going to be going in that deep where its hitting the top of your hood, no intake is gonna last unless you got a snorkle. i'm pretty sure if your lifted and your in that deep your screwed anyways lol.

homeguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ramsfan78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I did a ton of research about these before I took the plunge. I went with the S&B over Vararam because of my plans for later mods. I didnt want to lose the real estate on the top of the engine with the Vararam. The looks of the S&B are second to none IMO. The clear plexi gives a real look of customization. I experimented with mine and put some leds inside the box just for show purposes. They have went over very well with the enthusiasts in my area. Just my .02.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Our independent track testing showed the Vararam to outrun the S&B by .1 in the 1/4 mile at the dragstrip. The Volant and S&B kits are going to perform about the same as they have a very similar design. I have always been more impressed with S&B's fitment and build quality though, and their price is tough to beat on top of that. Between the 2, the S&B gets my vote. If you want all out performance, then the Vararam takes the win.

Ram170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
S&P c.a.i.

Hi, new to this site just bought a new ram 1500 bighorn was looking at a s&P intake looked at the install instructions looks fairly easy, is there any problems taking off the wheel liner or any other problems that could be something to look out for thanks

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hi, new to this site just bought a new ram 1500 bighorn was looking at a s&P intake looked at the install instructions looks fairly easy, is there any problems taking off the wheel liner or any other problems that could be something to look out for thanks
Plastic plugs in the wheel liner are a little stubborn, but it took me about an hour total to remove the OEM box and mount and install the S&B. the kit came with spare plugs, but those were for the easy to remove pins not the big mushroom headed pins that took some persuasion to remove.