Air intake replacement filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ADE5E5CF-E877-4F89-9ADD-51144AB7A04B.jpegDD109622-0E8A-4FBC-AB02-9D8BECFD1223.jpegI’d like to know if the E-3840 K&N OVAL AIR FILTER will fit the VARARAM VR-GRABBER 4G AIR GRABBER 4TH GEN 5.7L HEMI TRUCKS; 2009-2020 as a replacement filter?

And if so, will it be better or should I stick to the original?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would stick with the original. A lot of aftermarket outits make claims that are 'iffy' at best. Besides it's waaaay overpriced for a filter.

OP
OP
HemiGman

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would stick with the original. A lot of aftermarket outits make claims that are 'iffy' at best. Besides it's waaaay overpriced for a filter.
Yeah you’re right, way to much for a filter

OP
OP
HemiGman

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my Vararam got delivered yesterday, I went ahead and installed it. After seeing the original filter I’m for sure sticking with it. The quality can be better but by far not cheap/bad at all. Can’t imagine the K&N replacement filter (if it fits) being much better then the original. I’m not willing to spend $85+tax and shipping to find out lol1E5B739C-C877-405D-9E35-3787A6BA95DA.jpeg46DA6C2F-0A87-4CB5-A1A4-19FB6AF61593.jpeg

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
my Vararam got delivered yesterday, I went ahead and installed it. After seeing the original filter I’m for sure sticking with it. The quality can be better but by far not cheap/bad at all. Can’t imagine the K&N replacement filter (if it fits) being much better then the original. I’m not willing to spend $85+tax and shipping to find out lolView attachment 476199View attachment 476200
I think you'll be happy with it. I've had mine for over a year and I still love it.

OP
OP
HemiGman

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love the way it looks over all the other intakes out there. I mainly want my truck to breathe better and improve on MPGs also if I can get some HP and torque from it that would be a plus.

After installing I drove about 90 miles (in the rain) the only thing I noticed was throttle response has improved a little bit. Can’t say anything about noise since it was raining and I was on the highway nearly the entire drive.
By the way I had no issues with water getting in if anyone was wondering, which was a great relief.

OP
OP
HemiGman

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to use K&Ns but have since went away from them as I live in dusty country and prefer the dry filters over the oiled ones.
It was between K&N or Vararam for me and it’s safe to say I’m glad I went with the Vararam!!!

Even if I gain half the HP and torque it claims, it is still more HP and torque then K&N or S&B…

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was between K&N or Vararam for me and it’s safe to say I’m glad I went with the Vararam!!!

Even if I gain half the HP and torque it claims, it is still more HP and torque then K&N or S&B…
and looks better!!!!

Elvira

Reaction score
There are a couple of scenarios, the K&N is nice in respect you can reuse by cleaning, so the cost could work out in the long run. They do get dirty easy though in dusty conditions due to them being oiled filters. The difference in HP is negligible if at all...changing to a less restrictive air filter requires a tune if you are after HP but the cost after all the change is not worth the little HP or Torque you may or may not gain. A simple dry paper filter is probably your best bet, inexpensive and readily available usually.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One could do a search about using oiled filters and bugging out MAF sensors.

I like the looks of your new rig!

Last edited:
OP
OP
HemiGman

HemiGman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a couple of scenarios, the K&N is nice in respect you can reuse by cleaning, so the cost could work out in the long run. They do get dirty easy though in dusty conditions due to them being oiled filters. The difference in HP is negligible if at all...changing to a less restrictive air filter requires a tune if you are after HP but the cost after all the change is not worth the little HP or Torque you may or may not gain. A simple dry paper filter is probably your best bet, inexpensive and readily available usually.
The Vararam Air Grabber filter is an Oil filter which can be cleaned as often as you please. I do recommend cleaning it every 8,000 to 12,000 miles which is not a big deal for someone who likes to take care of their stuff and keep things nice and clean and neat myself.
K&N does offer a longer intervals in between cleaning. But that would not be a winning factor for me.

As I mentioned before gaining HP and torque is a plus, I was going for looks and improving MPG‘s. In the short time that I have had the Vararam installed I have noticed a little bit of an improvement as far as throttle response.
Maybe in the future I will get a tune and see what that does

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There was a very detailed article I read years ago about cleaning paper air filters. The premise was you can't really clean do a good job cleaning them. In the article they did an inspection (like a microscopic inspection) and airflow tests before, when dirty, and after cleaning (blowing or washing). Yeah, the conclusion was you could blow some of the dirt/dust out, but essentially a good amount gets caught in the fibers of the filter and won't dislodge. And that's kind of the point and how paper air filters work -- trap microscopic particles.

If someone's ever washed/cleaned shop vac air filters, you know that, yes, you CAN blow and wash them out ..but they don't flow as well as brand new ones.

Soooo, carrying that on to oil impregnated filters, it makes you wonder: If they DO trap fine airborn particles, that's great. But do they release them easily? And down to what size particles? And what is the filtration ability & airflow after they are cleaned a few times? What about guys who aren't as particular about oiling them properly? I'm sure there are people who have tested them on Youtube.

But do you really want to risk damaging your trucks' engine (or MAF) over using an approved paper air filter that normally lasts quite a while, just to save a few bucks over 5-8 years?

Daniel from Texas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I added a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit: High Performance, 2014 Dodge Ram (1500) 5.7L V8, 57-1561. I haven't had a single issue, have over 160k and runs great. I also use Mobile One in the engine (many here have issues with that). Having the air cleaner on top of the engine is going to pick up all the heat off the engine, and that little plastic heat shield won't shield anything (in my opinion).​

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score

I added a K&N Cold Air Intake Kit: High Performance, 2014 Dodge Ram (1500) 5.7L V8, 57-1561. I haven't had a single issue, have over 160k and runs great. I also use Mobile One in the engine (many here have issues with that). Having the air cleaner on top of the engine is going to pick up all the heat off the engine, and that little plastic heat shield won't shield anything (in my opinion).​

I assume you are referring to the vararam. Sitting still I won't disagree with the engine heat but driving down the road I think the air from in "front" of the radiator being somewhat "rammed" into the air cleaner is more than enough to cool it as much as it can possibly be cooled. All of this is in my opinion also.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I just open the door and stick my foot out and play Barney Rubble for added 1/2 HP, LOL. :rolleyes::joke::pokeowned:

In line with the thread, I have a AEM dry filter in the ole air box. Not sure if it does a lot, but can be cleaned and reused multiple times, guess just a matter of perception and preference.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I just open the door and stick my foot out and play Barney Rubble for added 1/2 HP, LOL. :rolleyes::joke::pokeowned:

In line with the thread, I have a AEM dry filter in the ole air box. Not sure if it does a lot, but can be cleaned and reused multiple times, guess just a matter of perception and preference.
Yep, I stick with the reason I bought mine "For the looks" Anything I got extra is ok with me. I still like the "Old school looks" I don't claim anything with MPG or horse power. LOL

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990