Air Suspension owners get in here...

My air suspension has been...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If i lived more south id have it 100%, but here in northern ontario they have so many issues that my dealer will no longer bring in air ride equipped trucks to put on the lot.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Need another option in the Poll. "Trouble from Day 1, but just live with it". Mine has always been slow (30 seconds for full travel). Will not move when parked on any uneven surface. Seems that if one of the corners is in a different position than the others (sensor feedback), the system won't allow it to move. Won't load level on uneven surface (loading firewood offroad). In temperatures below 20 degrees F or after an ice/slush filled commute, the system won't move. Works fine after thawing for an hour in the garage. Periodically, in normal, dry warm conditions, it simply won't move and give a message that the commanded position is not possible....or something similar to that.

I've no time to sit at a dealer and argue about intermittent problems. 90% of the time it does what it's supposed to. And that's good enough for me.

AirAntix

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Need another option in the Poll. "Trouble from Day 1, but just live with it". Mine has always been slow (30 seconds for full travel). Will not move when parked on any uneven surface. Seems that if one of the corners is in a different position than the others (sensor feedback), the system won't allow it to move. Won't load level on uneven surface (loading firewood offroad). In temperatures below 20 degrees F or after an ice/slush filled commute, the system won't move. Works fine after thawing for an hour in the garage. Periodically, in normal, dry warm conditions, it simply won't move and give a message that the commanded position is not possible....or something similar to that.

I've no time to sit at a dealer and argue about intermittent problems. 90% of the time it does what it's supposed to. And that's good enough for me.

If it’s still under warranty it’s probably probably worth getting it documented that you are having a problem...just in case it stops working altogether.

My dealer also sets me up with a rental or loaner whenever they need to keep my truck for warranty work.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
My truck sat for 2 months and the air in my suspension leaked out. It aired back up fine and seems to be okay if its driven daily. Gotta make time to hand it over to the dealer and use my 3rd party warranty.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Man I’m glad I decided against buying a high mileage 2013 Longhorn a few years ago with air....

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't have a good experience with the air suspension. It's well documented on this forum, traded the truck for a new 5th gen without air suspension and haven't looked back. Very happy now

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If it’s still under warranty it’s probably probably worth getting it documented that you are having a problem...just in case it stops working altogether.

My dealer also sets me up with a rental or loaner whenever they need to keep my truck for warranty work.

I'm way out of warranty. I had it at the dealer for some rodent damage repair to engine wiring (while it was still under warranty), and mentioned the air suspension issues to the service manager. Was told that they're all this way and there's nothing can be done to make them faster or to move when not level. Also no fix for the intermittent freeze up issue.

I'll just drive it until it fails. You can replace the entire system with traditional springs and shocks for less than the replacement cost of one air bag. First air-bag failure, I'll put a traditional suspension on it.

Iowa ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine works as it should, 2019 Lonhhorn 37,000 miles.

Pulled a 16ft loaded cargo trailer last week, it did its job.

My dealer said they can freeze up in cold and snowy weather, which can burn up the compressor. They said getting in to thaw is a good idea. I travel alot for work, didn't have any issues yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

16RamCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2016 Crew 1500, 70k miles, air suspension has been fine so far. Keeping fingers crossed.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will be selling my 2012 Laramie to get a 2020/2021 Rebel later this year. I am in the research phase and want the airbags bad but seeing the lack of reliability issues in the cold has me opting out. Is this issue across the board with all manufacturers?

chopperguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will be selling my 2012 Laramie to get a 2020/2021 Rebel later this year. I am in the research phase and want the airbags bad but seeing the lack of reliability issues in the cold has me opting out. Is this issue across the board with all manufacturers?

I’ve posted on this before, are there some with issues, absolutely! In this day and age the first thing you are going to find are complaints. I have a 13 Laramie with air suspension that has 94,000 miles on it now, I’ve had one issue since I ordered it brand new. Blew a fuse during the winter, other then that it has worked great even during winter here in Minnesota. If I get another RAM you better believe it will be ordered with it again! The only reason I say if is because I am one of the 250,000+ people that put money down on a Tesla Cybertruck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for your input Chopper!

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Haven't read all the replies, but.

2015 with 4C Air, nary a single problem. Owned for 5 years and 42K miles. The ONLY issue I ever had with it was owner induced - I swapped front/rear links to lift it 2", and if you tried to go into OR2 (sometimes, but not consistently, OR1) it just wouldn't get there and you'd eventually get an error message. Shutting the truck off and re-starting it made it go back to Normal.

2020 with 4C Air, nary a single problem. But so far only owned less than 2 months and about 1500 mies.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Need another option, issues but fixed without taking it in! There are a few fairy straight forward fixes for common issues, and some repairs, like a bag swap, are straight forward.

The first time I saw one of the guys at work with a taillight out claiming they were working on the air-ride I thought they were pulling my leg.

OP
OP
Nystagmus

Nystagmus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Longhorn CC
Engine
Need another option, issues but fixed without taking it in! There are a few fairy straight forward fixes for common issues, and some repairs, like a bag swap, are straight forward.

The first time I saw one of the guys at work with a taillight out claiming they were working on the air-ride I thought they were pulling my leg.

Oh you can’t stop there....you’ve got to elaborate !!!

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears

Oh you can’t stop there....you’ve got to elaborate !!!

With the 4th gens when there is not enough nitrogen pressure in the tanks outside air is pull in through the a filter located behind the tail light, and the systems purges there too when needed. Filter can get plugged or frozen up, as can the purge tube, so you have to pull the tail light out to access.

Iowa ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 Longhorn with 84,000 miles, not a single issue.

My dealer suggested to let it unthaw in the winter, for issues brought up earlier in this thread.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2019 Longhorn with 84,000 miles, not a single issue.

My dealer suggested to let it unthaw in the winter, for issues brought up earlier in this thread.

89,000 miles on a 19? Good god, man. Lol.

But what are you talking about, letting it thaw out? Which yeah, I know, you said “unthaw”, which means the opposite of thawing; which is freezing....[emoji851]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk