Air Suspension owners get in here...

My air suspension has been...

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm going to keep my hopes up. I have over 155000 km and 3yrs warranty left. I'd be a lot more comfortable if I had not sold my old truck. May keep my eyes open for a cheap used truck for emergency use. I know somebody selling their 02' ranger 4X for cheap and its a good runner. May grab it for a back up. The rental car coverage doesn't give me a truck and If I go back to work I'm gone too long to take it with me.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I'm going to keep my hopes up. I have over 155000 km and 3yrs warranty left. I'd be a lot more comfortable if I had not sold my old truck. May keep my eyes open for a cheap used truck for emergency use. I know somebody selling their 02' ranger 4X for cheap and its a good runner. May grab it for a back up. The rental car coverage doesn't give me a truck and If I go back to work I'm gone too long to take it with me.

My 2014 has 48k miles on it and to my knowledge the air suspension has been just fine. I've gotten the random service air suspension warning but they never stuck around. Hoping I've got a good one.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

So how are you supposed to tell the computer that all that stuff that runs and inflates the air suspension is gone? It’d be pretty easy to get a different switch panel, or even remove the switch and replace with a blank but, warning lights and messages would drive ya bonkers- unless that Alpha thing would remove it.

This is just another reason why I’m glad I got the lifetime warranty. Sounds like it’s an inevitable thing, especially how it sounds like there is a little filter behind the right tail light that actually purges out the damn nitrogen! How can you have a closed system with it doing that? Anywho, I love the system, love how the features works, love the modes- even though I don’t off-road but, I have a feeling my warranty my come into use some day. So far it’s been great with no issues but, I just have that feeling, ya know...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So how are you supposed to tell the computer that all that stuff that runs and inflates the air suspension is gone? It’d be pretty easy to get a different switch panel, or even remove the switch and replace with a blank but, warning lights and messages would drive ya bonkers- unless that Alpha thing would remove it.

This is just another reason why I’m glad I got the lifetime warranty. Sounds like it’s an inevitable thing, especially how it sounds like there is a little filter behind the right tail light that actually purges out the damn nitrogen! How can you have a closed system with it doing that? Anywho, I love the system, love how the features works, love the modes- even though I don’t off-road but, I have a feeling my warranty my come into use some day. So far it’s been great with no issues but, I just have that feeling, ya know...lol.

Alpha obd to program out the air suspension option and take the air stuff out. Replace the panel with the buttons for up and down to one that doesn't have it and you'd never know it was ever there. I have no plans of changing it, but if it turns into a problem out of warranty or it gives me too much down time its cheaper to go to coils than replace the truck by miles.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also there's guys that build custom panels so I could use the up/down button locations for accessory switches.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

It’s a closed system but it also has the ability to vent to the outside and pull in new air if the system detects low air pressure, condensation, or has any issues. I’ve had mine do this twice actually. Both times I was outside of the vehicle with it idling and unloading a bunch of crap from the bed when I heard the air tank vent to the atmosphere. The system still worked just fine afterward which tells me it can also replenish via outside air when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s a closed system but it also has the ability to vent to the outside and pull in new air if the system detected low pressure or has any issues. I’ve had mine do this twice actually. Both times I was outside of the vehicle with it idling and unloading a bunch of crap from the bed when I heard the air tank vent to the atmosphere. The system still worked just fine afterward which tells me it can also replenish via outside air when necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if that’s how the wingnuts at Chrysler designed it, it shouldn’t be that way if it was designed to be a closed system. It should be a closed system for good reason. Open-aired systems need dryers, changeable dryer cartridges, purge valves, governors and drain valves on tanks to expel water. Plus, no matter how well an open air system works, it’s gonna be impossible to keep every bit of moisture out of it. Requires putting airline alcohol in to keep from freezing. If this system was as closed up as it should be, there’d be no need for a purge valve. There’d be no need for any reason to pull in outside air.

Our air conditioner systems are completely closed. They only way anything will ever leak out is if the system gets too high pressurized. There’s a PRV on the compressor on most applications.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Good to know! Great!

Could you lift the truck also after having done the conversion?
Quite a few guys on the rebel forum have installed regular suspension lift kits that include springs and struts so I would say its very likely you could put any complete lift kit on and eliminate the air. They have a few threads on it and have worked the bugs out. If I did it I would probably go with a king long travel coilover and have it sit the same height as or2

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glad to report that my new truck without air suspension is great. No more nightmares for me, best trade I ever made.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost 19,000 miles and a year and a half later with my new truck- no issues for me. I love my air suspension.

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost 19,000 miles and a year and a half later with my new truck- no issues for me. I love my air suspension.

Just wait! Those things suck [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] traded mine while the truck still had value

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wait! Those things suck [emoji30][emoji30][emoji30] traded mine while the truck still had value

I got lifetime warranty on my truck so, I’ll let it pay for whatever cheesy design flaws come up that try to cause me to not like my air suspension.

8732cuts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got lifetime warranty on my truck so, I’ll let it pay for whatever cheesy design flaws come up that try to cause me to not like my air suspension.

Remember those lifetime warranty you have to call the dealer before using anyone else if not they could the Warrenty. For any service even oil change. Good luck ram is a great truck I love mine

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember those lifetime warranty you have to call the dealer before using anyone else if not they could the Warrenty. For any service even oil change. Good luck ram is a great truck I love mine

Huh? Why would I take it to anyone else? The lifetime MVP Warranty that I bought when I bought my truck brand new only applies to the dealer. If it needs fixed on their dime, they have to do it. Even if I wanted to take it elsewhere, that would be silly because my warranty won’t work anywhere else.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Huh? Why would I take it to anyone else? The lifetime MVP Warranty that I bought when I bought my truck brand new only applies to the dealer. If it needs fixed on their dime, they have to do it. Even if I wanted to take it elsewhere, that would be silly because my warranty won’t work anywhere else.

Your truck is probably fine, Im had a bad one and got over it. As mentioned many times here on this forum, there are a lots of trucks with air suspension with zero issues for many miles and kilometres and that includes trucks in the great white north. Nuff said IMHO.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your truck is probably fine, Im had a bad one and got over it. As mentioned many times here on this forum, there are a lots of trucks with air suspension with zero issues for many miles and kilometres and that includes trucks in the great white north. Nuff said IMHO.

Hopefully it stays fine but as I said, if it doesn’t then that’s primarily why I have the warranty.

But my response was to that other member.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Remember folks. 1,300 trucks roll out a day. Now go through ALL of the forums and count up the bad ones or issues. Not many.