AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The code for the cuts on the key blade is always a "M" followed by 4 digits 0001 to 2618.

Well thats scary. There arent very many combinations available at that point.

When keys are cut do they use anything other than the code? Am I missing something here?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tried scrolling through alpha. Is there a way to set interior light to led

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wouldn't have thought to look there but I found it just now I disabled it. I remember reading I have to let the truck sleep for a bit cant remember how long so I'll probably go out there in an hour or so and check it out

Did it work?
Could you „remove“ the air suspension now?

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that's scary. There aren't very many combinations available at that point.

When keys are cut do they use anything other than the code? Am I missing something here?
The key blade only opens the doors and tailgate. FCA has been using the same M series since 1998. You have to remember that the key code database translates those 4 digits to 8 cuts. There are 8 cuts on the key blade but the door locks only have 7 tumblers. Ever try to pick a lock with 7 tumblers? It's not easy. A typical house key has 5 cuts and 5 tumblers. The ignition chip has a lot more possibilities. When you use alfaOBD to program a key, nothing happens to the chip in the key, but your RFHM learns the chips ID. Not sure how many of those there could be. The RFHM can learn up to 8 keys.

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Tried scrolling through alpha. Is there a way to set interior light to led

I have LEDs in my dome and map lights and didnt need any thing changed. But I did have to install equality LEDs the cheap Ebay ones worked for maybe a week then started blinking

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have LEDs in my dome and map lights and didnt need any thing changed. But I did have to install equality LEDs the cheap Ebay ones worked for maybe a week then started blinking

Is it possible to turn off that stupid reading light or whatever that stays on all the time through Alfa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it possible to turn off that stupid reading light or whatever that stays on all the time through Alfa?

If you want to have it off all time, just put some black tape on it .

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon
How long does the truck have to "sleep" after a change? I enabled DRL and disable fog light drop off earlier today, but it still has not taken effect or shown up in the radio. 2016 RAM 1500 Bighorn.
Thanks
I had to reboot the uconnect on my 2018 which is a battery disconnect

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

bhiii

#justsaynotochrome
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you want to have it off all time, just put some black tape on it .

Yeah I know. Was looking for a solution that wasn’t that. No big.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I’ve got no problems with the ones I’m running from superbright leds. Was just curious about it. I ordered the brightest ones I could find to fit. Not even canbus leds.

cclark019

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had to reboot the uconnect on my 2018 which is a battery disconnect

There is a inline fuse holder by the brake booster, that is the HU fuse just pull it for 30 seconds. Then you don’t have to reset the windows.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How long does the truck have to "sleep" after a change? I enabled DRL and disable fog light drop off earlier today, but it still has not taken effect or shown up in the radio. 2016 RAM 1500 Bighorn.
Thanks

Those two were almost instant on my truck, just long enough for the EVIC to go dark after the door was shut. For the DRLs, remember that a> They only come on when the truck is in gear and the parking brake is not applied and b> The High Beam as DRL setting does not work with factory projectors.

-K

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The key blade only opens the doors and tailgate. FCA has been using the same M series since 1998. You have to remember that the key code database translates those 4 digits to 8 cuts. There are 8 cuts on the key blade but the door locks only have 7 tumblers. Ever try to pick a lock with 7 tumblers? It's not easy. A typical house key has 5 cuts and 5 tumblers. The ignition chip has a lot more possibilities. When you use alfaOBD to program a key, nothing happens to the chip in the key, but your RFHM learns the chips ID. Not sure how many of those there could be. The RFHM can learn up to 8 keys.

Thanks, that makes more sense!

I thought my truck has a slot in the center of where the keyfob "plugs" into the dash, and I thought that slot was for the actual mechanical key in emergency, although I never tried it.

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon
There is a inline fuse holder by the brake booster, that is the HU fuse just pull it for 30 seconds. Then you don’t have to reset the windows.

Hmm. I used the battery method but my windows were fine. Only thing was uconnect took a while to boot

horsetrailer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Power Wagon

I just looked at my truck and I don't seem to have the fuse holder by the brake booster. Do you have a pic?

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, that makes more sense!

I thought my truck has a slot in the center of where the keyfob "plugs" into the dash, and I thought that slot was for the actual mechanical key in emergency, although I never tried it.
There are no tumblers or anything resembling a real lock in the ignition node. It's all electronic as far as recognizing your key. There's some plastic parts that simulate what an ignition cylinder feels like. I have taken apart a junkyard ignition node out of curiosity and it was surprising to find an almost empty box with a circuit board inside. The key blade in the fob will not work in the ignition. It's the plastic part of the fob or a lollipop key that turns the parts of the node. The slot in the middle is for a lollipop key.

WVRam68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couldn't help it, here is number 5000

Man I love this topic, so much good info.

Thanks everyone!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk